Best Lightweight Anti-Virus?

If it's Windows 7 or maybe Vista MSE would be OK. It runs horrible on XP, IMO.

My pick is Avira Antivir. Lightweight and has worked well for me. I use Kaspersky myself for a paid option.

Anyone have an idea of what the best lightweight antivirus is? It can be paid as I think paid will include more features. Thanks!

"Lightweight" and "More features" are sort of opposite. You can have leightweight with more features, but only compared to another with the same amount of features.

MSE is good enough, free and very unobtrusive. It might use slightly more RAM than some other solutions, but who cares about that.

I was going to say no MSE but I guess all of you guys convinced me to use it again! Thanks!

yeah MSE has really improved since it's 1.0 days

I've personally been using it since the 2.0 connect beta

yeah MSE has really improved since it's 1.0 days

I've personally been using it since the 2.0 connect beta

Ahh thanks. Any opinions of how it is please?

Ahh thanks. Any opinions of how it is please?

not really much to say, I hardly notice it's there most of the time, the only time it bugs me is when it notices an infected file (which is to be expected)

it keeps itself up-to-date and it runs an auto quick-scan weekly in the background

55MB for the service and 5MB for the interface for me!

it's about as light weight as you can get aside from good ole ClamWin :p

You want to know what is the best damned one out there ? Webroot Secure Anywhere 2012 - its cloud based so its tiny. Only a tiny 1 MB file running ! I corrected that after re-verifying

I had a buddy from Cisco tell me about it as Cisco and webroot worked together on the remote mgmt. side of it - Since I first started messing around with it - I have told about 10 different people to drop what they are using regardless of contract & get a copy. All of them have & are happy with listening to me. I purchased 3 copies - 1 for my ThinkPad (120GB SSD does a full scan in 20 seconds!) and one for my desktop (wasnt even using an A/V for 6 months) & 1 for my desktop @ work. I used the home version as a template when recommending our parent company to consider buying 5000 copies of the enterprise version for the company - I like it that much.

The GUI is thin and light, but the most impressive I think is the features and security.

It has a sandbox feature to run something if you're not sure of it - or the app will run something in sandbox-mode if it isnt sure about something due to heuristics.

2 of the most impressive features: You can actually run it with other security software without issue, and the removal ability beat out malwarebytes. A/V software is supposed to keep stuff out, they arent good at removing once it is in - so I was totally impressed when it caught a toolkit that malwarebytes missed. (it does a full scan when installed)

I have used it up @ work for 4 of our more "dangerous" employees who seem to have a nack for getting infected. Since using webroot - all of them have been trouble-free.

Here is a remote admin feature if you have more than 1 license under your command:

post-74610-0-44200300-1328076587_thumb.j

and here is the detail view:

post-74610-0-85135700-1328076702_thumb.j

This is a friend who frequents torrents & /b/ and a lot of pr0n - so he is ALWAYS getting bugs, now they are all blocked upon entry

You can get a 30-day trial

There are other decent ones out there (norton, KAV, not MSE) but I havent been impressed by an A/V pkg before. PC Mag gave it the highest rating ever for an A/V software - MaximumPC gave it a 9 & Kick Ass rating

nuff said

Dont listen to anyone recommending MSE - not as bad as McAfee, but far from the best ;)

Anyone have an idea of what the best lightweight antivirus is? It can be paid as I think paid will include more features. Thanks!

Avira Antivir is good. Avast, AVG and Kaspersky are ok. Don't use McAfee or Norton's.

Dont listen to anyone recommending MSE - not as bad as McAfee, but far from the best ;)

Anyone? I use MSE and have never had viruses. So, what is so bad about it exactly? You make a statement like the above, you should give reasons.

Lil Wayne, go with MSE, don't listen to people who make remarks like those who think simply because it's a Microsoft product, it must be garbage.

Anyone? I use MSE and have never had viruses. So, what is so bad about it exactly? You make a statement like the above, you should give reasons.

Lil Wayne, go with MSE, don't listen to people who make remarks like those who think simply because it's a Microsoft product, it must be garbage.

never said anything about it being from MS as the problem (you have me confused with an mac user or nix user I think) BTW where did you come up with that anyway ?

- and you have no idea if the reason you have never been infected has to do with your browsing habits or your use of a freebie A/V

The worst thing about it is people who say its the best because someone told them it is & thats all they know about it... OR its because they do nothing but go from youtube, twitter, to facebook & remain uninfected & think its because of that great A/V software.

There have been so many threads about this crap - look em up - its a solution for those who want a free one, thats it. Tell me in your experience what makes MSE the best ? Because it didnt let the trojan army come through ? Because it didnt blow up your computer upon installation ?

When people say "oh its great " that is hardly conclusive. or " i have never been infected" - Think it might have something to do with your browsing habits ? I gave examples of how good the new webroot Secure Anywhere is.

I didnt say it was bad - I said it was far from the best, and not to listen to anyone stating it. was. the. best.

I didnt even use A/V for 6 months - never had the slightest infection - you see why I think your arguments lacks ? But Im sorry if it ticked you off - but I have a lot of reasons why its not the best - and I dont want someone who is asking for help to get bad advice. If it works for you - then awesome ! If you were a little more adventurous in your browsing - you might not be saying its the best ? See my point ?