Photo

Best Lightweight Anti-Virus?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#46 TEX4S

TEX4S

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:37

I dunno if i'd be sold on a web-based antivirus... Sounds like too much "could" go wrong. :/

Ya I know. I had a Webex with a sales rep & an engineer of webroot. My first question was If its cloud-based, what happens when my employees arent online ? They said along with the heuristics engine there is the sandbox feature that will automatically be implemented if a process starts acting funny. Whenever a program/file is introduced to the computer it is checked with a database to see if it is known & OK, if it isnt then it is allowed but under a sandbox enviro - if the program/file proves to be legit - it is whitelisted. If it is unknown & starts acting like malware the sandbox feature can roll back any changes the file/program did.

Of course the way they explained was much more elegant. Since their Enterprise pkg is still in Beta - most of the examples were using the consumer-based version. But the 2 are the same software with the Enterprise version had more tweaking and remote management abilities. The consumer version has a remote console but is limited into what you can do.

index.JPG

#47 offroadaaron

offroadaaron

root can touch you anywhere

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:56

I dunno if i'd be sold on a web-based antivirus... Sounds like too much "could" go wrong. :/

Corporate Sophos via the web is awesome, hands down one of the best (note the word "one") we use it at work and it is kick ass!

Compared to some of the products we've used we don't need to put basically any exclusions in and it picks everything up quicker than all the other software we have used.

I must admit though I'm really liking the look of this webroot AV though! I wanna go with that but we only just signed to Sophos (which we're happy with though).

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2012-02-03 at 4.21.27 PM.png

#48 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:25

Hello,

Yes, but only when you choose the option to password-protect the uninstallation option and then forget the password.

Otherwise, remove via Add/Remove Programs applet in the Control Panel, or via the Uninstall icon off the program's Start Menu entry. As with other antivirus software, a reboot may be required at the end of uninstallation.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I heard it was extremely difficult to remove - 2 people said you actually had to call ESET and get a removal code - but other than that it was great software.... is that true ?

#49 Ignuition

Ignuition

Nananana

Posted 04 February 2012 - 18:07

I was going to say no MSE but I guess all of you guys convinced me to use it again! Thanks!

Good call, I used to avoid MSE but I have had zero issues since I've started to use it.

#50 OP Eddie7

Eddie7

Hallo... www.connectw.me

• Phone: 1-800-CALL-ME-MAYBE

Posted 04 February 2012 - 21:55

UPDATE!!! MSE is working great for my computer now. Thanks for all the suggestions and I think I'm going to stick with MSE for a while! :D

#51 mjedi7

mjedi7

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 04 February 2012 - 22:05

Avira Antivir, i've been using the free version for years, no problems at all, everyday small updates, lightweight.
http://www.avira.com/en/for-home

#52 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:49

I've seen several exploits that MSE has let right by, but Antivir caught. I was installing some software while browsing one day and got a popup without paying attention while MSE did nothing. I tried the same thing on the same site and Antivir popped up immediately. I'm sure the opposite could happen in other situations, but most machines I've recommended installed MSE on, also ended up coming back with infections eventually, while the Antivir machines remain relatively bug free. Just my experiences.

#53 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:51

I've seen several exploits that MSE has let right by, but Antivir caught. I was installing some software while browsing one day and got a popup without paying attention while MSE did nothing. I tried the same thing on the same site and Antivir popped up immediately. I'm sure the opposite could happen in other situations, but most machines I've recommended installed MSE on, also ended up coming back with infections eventually, while the Antivir machines remain relatively bug free. Just my experiences.

try out the new MSE beta on Microsoft Connect, they've made some great improvements in this regard I've noticed

#54 python134r

python134r

Neowinian

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:08

MSE

#55 RobDrak

RobDrak

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:12

Guys! You dont know sh***t about Antiviruses.

I tried them all and the lightest Antivirus is, that works great on even slowest P4 systems running WinXP is : SOLO Antivirus. Period.

#56 alisalem

alisalem

Neowinian

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 (16GB Black)

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:16

Like others said, MSE on Windows Vista/7 because are much more secure than XP.

Kaspersky or NOD32 on XP. Kaspersky is not lightweight but not that resource hungry either. It's very trustworthy.

Avast is not too shabby as well.

#57 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:17

I like webroot myself. Can't beat the footprint and the database is updated continuously.

#58 Gorilla P

Gorilla P

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:16

You really only have a few options for effective free lightweight antivirus protection.I will list those as well as a couple other things you can do.

Antivirus Options
Panda Cloud - This is a cloud-based scanner. It's extremely lightweight and has decent detection rates.

Immunet - This is another scanner that is cloud-based. However, they have adapter ClamAV into it has the traditional AV protection as well. This uses multiple scanning engines. If you use this (which I often do), go to the settings and select the option to enable ClamAV and the other two scanning engines.

MSSE - I have been left unimpressed by this. Third party scan tests show MSSE near the bottom of the pack in every zero day detection rate test. (GIven the other two free lightweight options, I would say not to use it, but it's your choice so I added it in there anyways)

As far as the other things to avoid viruses. There are two essential things (aside from using common sense on what to.not to download and open.)

Use a chrome-based browser such as Google Chrome or SRWare Iron. These browsers now have sandboxed flash which does not allow infectious flash scripts to infect your machine as they used to. (this is still an issue with ActiveX scripts in IE)
Install the AdBlock Plus addon and use the FanBoy Ultimate List for blocking. (can be download added from from http://fanboy.co.nz/filters.html)

You can also use a custom host file to block known infectious sites and ad-hosting sites. I would recommend the one from http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!