New picture surfaces of next-gen BlackBerry smartphone, looks a little fami

BlackBerry-10-Smartphone.jpg

he news coming out of Research In Motion just keeps on flowing. We're just over a week into the reign of new CEO Thorsten Heins, and the latest is this new image of the BlackBerry London secured by our cousins over at

Crackberry. For those that aren't familiar with the going's on over in the BlackBerry camp, BB10 is the next generation QNX based OS that is supposed to herald a whole new era for the platform. The BlackBerry London is thought to be the first BB10 smartphone.

In his first interview with Crackberry, Heins brought a lot of insight with him. He also, you may recall, gave them his thoughts on Android hardware and how it "all looks the same." Forgive us for saying this, but the London kind of looks a bit a lot like an Android smartphone. Droid X, anyone? It'll probably run Android applications as well, via the Runtime for Android Applications feature found in the forthcoming Playbook OS 2.0.

The first leaked images of the London were vastly different to this. With its angled corners, and the kind of brushed metal finish found on the ultra-expensive Porsche Design P'9981, that sure did look different. Different to anything RIM had ever put out, and definitely different to anything in the Android war chest.

Crackberry Kevin thinks the London looks like a trimmed down version of a Blackberry Playbook. As a Playbook owner, I definitely see a resemblance. It's a little disappointing though if this is what the finished hardware will look like. Android does have an awful lot of black slabs, just as BlackBerry have an awful lot of QWERTY devices

I am not sure about this thing.

People, including myself, like and buy RIM products, 99% of the time because of the keyboards. Yes, the services are there and important, but whats more important is that keyboard.

Now, they can go with touchscreens all they want, but please, they shouldn't kill those phones. They just need to update the software, a little, which in my opinion is fine by all means, but lets say, update the software, keep those phones coming and release one or two like these ^^ once a year

I am not sure about this thing.

People, including myself, like and buy RIM products, 99% of the time because of the keyboards. Yes, the services are there and important, but whats more important is that keyboard.

Now, they can go with touchscreens all they want, but please, they shouldn't kill those phones. They just need to update the software, a little, which in my opinion is fine by all means, but lets say, update the software, keep those phones coming and release one or two like these ^^ once a year

They won't. They will have different lines of phones for different purposes. They are not going to kill off their main income (businesses) that require keyboards just because most consumers want a touchscreen.

I think the KBs are pretty much going to go away in the next couple years.

NOOOOOO

:cry:

Just a guess. Everyone I know who was a die hard KB fan was resistant to touch...at first. Now they love it. With phones becoming thinner, lighter, and touch becoming better and better...I just think they will eventually go away. It also seems like less phone are coming with KBs than touch.

But we are still miles behind the age where touchscreen keyboards will do good for all of us.

Nonetheless, yes, we have to let go of them sooner or later, but they are awesome :(

The hardware looks fine to me (if perhaps a bit horizontally challenged), but it's the software that makes or breaks it. I've really had it up to here (makes motion at neck level) with BlackBerry OS 4 through 7, their tendencies to mangle contact lists, stop receiving messages until the battery is pulled, and the ties to that awful barrel of kludge they call BES.

I do generally like my Playbook (hey, it was cheap!), but the PIM apps aren't going to be out for at least a few weeks and the fact that it barely scrapes by with a full 1GB of RAM while just running the web browser and a SMB daemon is somewhat concerning. That is to say, it starts acting goofy when the RAM runs out or the Android player gets worked too hard, and goofy is exactly what I've grown to hate about everything from RIM.