Facebook files for IPO, seeks to raise $5 billion

Facebook files for IPO, seeks to raise $5 billion

As expected, Facebook just filed its initial public offering paperwork with the Securities and Exchange Commission, marking the beginning of its process to become a publicly traded company. It'll trade under the stock symbol "FB" (although it didn't specify on what exchange) and says that it seeks to raise some $5 billion in the process.

Mark Zuckerberg himself has been revealed to own an astounding 28.4 percent of the company, which ? if stories of a $100 billion valuation are correct ? would put his net worth near $30 billion. The filing notes that Zuck controls "a majority" of voting stock, which means he wields an extraordinary amount of power inside the company (not to say there was ever any doubt of that).

Now that these guys are going public, that means their earnings are public, too: the filing points to net income of $1 billion in 2011 on $3.7 billion revenue, up from $606 million in 2010. They're claiming some 845 million active monthly users, 483 million daily active users, and 100 billion friend connections ? over 14 times the number of humans on the face of the planet.

Developing...

Source: The Verge

I don't think investors will look very highly of this stock. For all we know, Facebook could follow the path of Myspace and die off in a few years. I don't think Twitter of Google Plus is going to overtake them, but I think the fad of spying on your friends is going to wear off eventually. Plus, the constant interface changes every few months seem to p*ss everybody off.

In the end, I don't see much money to be made in a stock like this.

I don't think investors will look very highly of this stock. For all we know, Facebook could follow the path of Myspace and die off in a few years. I don't think Twitter of Google Plus is going to overtake them, but I think the fad of spying on your friends is going to wear off eventually. Plus, the constant interface changes every few months seem to p*ss everybody off.

In the end, I don't see much money to be made in a stock like this.

I have the same feeling about Facebook it could just die very easily... the stock cannot grow a lot since Facebook is at it peak now.

sure it is growing but wont see a big growth after an year or so.

also it puts extra burdens on companies to be listed as well tho. they should stay private. less pressure.

• Like 1

I have the same feeling about Facebook it could just die very easily... the stock cannot grow a lot since Facebook is at it peak now.

sure it is growing but wont see a big grown after an year or so.

that is the catch

time to diversify!

I also don't think anything good will come out of it.

Well, one thing they surely could improve in would be listening to their "costumers" (I know people hate that a free service is supposed to listen, but hell, that's all they are there for, right? Stripe them of their user base... What's left? Advertising companies? To whom do they now advertise? FB employees?)

Don't see how stockholders would make a lot of pressure to listen there, though...

Glassed Silver:win

so what's it going to cost to get a few shares lol

I see what you did there.

Glassed Silver:win

so what's it going to cost to get a few shares lol

I think i want some too. I mean not for a long term investment, but lets say 3months to see how it goes. While people say Fb is at its peak, it might easily last for a few more years....and even if one share will be 50 and will go up to 70 its a good deal.

I think i want some too. I mean not for a long term investment, but lets say 3months to see how it goes. While people say Fb is at its peak, it might easily last for a few more years....and even if one share will be 50 and will go up to 70 its a good deal.

thats my thoughts

I personally wouldn't touch Facebook stock. IMO It's probably overvalued and will drop in price like Zynga and Groupon after IPO. (although Zynga is making a comeback)

Was talking to someone at work about this. About the only way I can see Facebook going down soon is if they have a major, and I mean major, breach in security and/or if they somehow lose millions of peoples accounts, Etc. Etc.. Basically some kind of virtual disaster that would cause people to no longer trust them. Unless that happens, I do not see them going the route of MySpace, at least not any time soon. So it looks like they are here to stay.