Galaxy S II horrible battery life

Just a little fun side note.

Last night I watched an hour episode of something on Netflix over WiFi on my phone....battery went down 5% it that hour. ;) This is all on stock.

Also, if you have WiFi, don't bother connecting phone to PC for all this file moving. Grab 'Airdroid' from market, its free, fast, and allows you to simply transfer kernels/roms/files etc to phone from your browser on PC, makes things a lot easier ;) Only time I need a cable to PC for SG II is when I need to use Odin for emergencies, and that's rare lol!

Oh and before you do anything....

BACK UP YOUR EFS!!!

I have ten backups of this, online and offline, and on various devices, overkill yeah, but I learned the hard way I'm afraid, with my phone going back to Sammy, so if you havent already done so, please do it :)

Sounds a bit like the "Keis" program that came with the phone / rom. I'll try airdroid, though. thanks.

Just a little fun side note.

Last night I watched an hour episode of something on Netflix over WiFi on my phone....battery went down 5% it that hour. ;) This is all on stock.

What screen brightness?

I still don't have service, so the phone has been in flight mode and deep sleep for most of the time, but it's been on for 39 hours and still at 80%. We'll see how it keeps up once I start actually using it.

Sounds a bit like the "Keis" program that came with the phone / rom. I'll try airdroid, though. thanks.

Kies is like itunes, unnessesary and full of bloat, its what they want you to use. Stay away from it and remove from your PC, in fact, never install it in first place. Use Titanium Backup to remove the 'Kies Air' app from your phone also, its safe to do so :)

Kies is like itunes, unnessesary and full of bloat, its what they want you to use. Stay away from it and remove from your PC, in fact, never install it in first place. Use Titanium Backup to remove the 'Kies Air' app from your phone also, its safe to do so :)

I used it once and it didn't require any installation onto my PC. It was all browser-based and worked really well. But sure, I'll give airdroid a go next time I need to transfer files.

I used it once and it didn't require any installation onto my PC. It was all browser-based and worked really well. But sure, I'll give airdroid a go next time I need to transfer files.

Only installed kies for the usb drivers, just in case I need to flash something the old-fashioned way through odin. Good to have the option in case if you ever end up in a situation where you can't access the CWM recovery mode.

Tried airdroid. I have am simply blown away at its simplicity. I usually have my phone connected to the usb cable anyway while charging, but it's great for when I need make a quick transfer when the phone is already unplugged.

As for speedmod vs siyahkernel, both are excellent compared to stock kernel, and usually will outperform most kernels included with roms depending on their compatibility. I haven't tried speedmod, but just from looking at the change logs, it looks essentially the same as what siyahkernel has and both seem well-coded. Can't imagine going wrong with either one of them.

What screen brightness?

What I do is, I uncheck Auto....set it to around 25-30% and then recheck Auto. Never been in a situation where I couldn't clearly see the screen. Indoors or out.

As for speedmod vs siyahkernel, both are excellent compared to stock kernel, and usually will outperform most kernels included with roms depending on their compatibility. I haven't tried speedmod, but just from looking at the change logs, it looks essentially the same as what siyahkernel has and both seem well-coded. Can't imagine going wrong with either one of them.

A little update. I tried the speedmod and quite frankly, it's a huge no-go. It might work for most roms, but two big turn offs: 1) No underclocking to 100Mhz, which helps save a little bit more power when in sleep state and performing low-end background tasks and 2) it is not compatible with BLN, which is by far one of the best apps to have.

I understand the use of BLN directly conflicts with prolonging battery life. However, if you configure it properly to blink at a very low frequency and duration, and turn off within a few minutes of the alert, the benefits of having that LED light could be the difference between answering a text or email a few minutes sooner. Especially true at home since I tend to leave my phone on the desk and it's quite easy to miss alerts without the visual light warning.

Thanks for the quick overview, BetaAddict. I wasn't aware I could underclock to 100mhz. I heard there was an issue that if you clocked it lower than 200mhz min and 800max in sleep mode, it wouldn't wake up. Sleep of Death.

Anyway, since I'm sort of using this thread as a general questions thread now, is there a way to set it to NOT wake up the screen when you receive a text or notification? Finally got it activated yesterday and it's blowing up, haha. Battery life took a huge dive. Today will be my first day using it from 100%. Time to see how long it lasts under normal usage!