BT promises epic 330Mbps broadband starting in 2013

I hope this is the BT bashing thread as well.

In March 2011 BT were supposed to roll out BT infinity @ 40 MegaBit speeds to all residential customers in Kings Hill, West Malling Kent.

However this did not happen.

They then said, it will then happen on January 1st 2012, again this has not happened, now they say April xx date.

They also told me the fastest speed I will get if I am lucky (patronising or what) will be 25 Megabits.

So when they tell the world by 2013 we can expect 330 megabits I can just scoff and say, whatever, as I don't believe a word of their b.s.

And yet where I live the speeds are still poor with frequent drop outs. In summer we can sometimes get the ADSL [no cable] modem to sync at 3.5Mbps marginally beating our 3G tower but in winter we're lucky if we get past 1.

The UK ISPs need to stop playing with numbers and get everyone onto a level playing field.

• Like 2

I hope this is the BT bashing thread as well.

In March 2011 BT were supposed to roll out BT infinity @ 40 MegaBit speeds to all residential customers in Kings Hill, West Malling Kent.

However this did not happen.

They then said, it will then happen on January 1st 2012, again this has not happened, now they say April xx date.

They also told me the fastest speed I will get if I am lucky (patronising or what) will be 25 Megabits.

So when they tell the world by 2013 we can expect 330 megabits I can just scoff and say, whatever, as I don't believe a word of their b.s.

Our date was pushed back too, I did a lot of questioning different people from BT to find out what was going on, and eventually was told it was the local authority who was refusing them funding for the new cabinets being installed, and with BT Infinity, they will not connect you unless they can offer you over a certain speed, I forget exactly what the guy told me, but I think it was around 19meg

While it's great you're getting 300Mbps and all, where is my promised 5Mbps? BT can push these fancy numbers all they want, but at least give the rest of us some kind of decent broadband speed, instead of ju

st upping the people inside the cities :/

Exactly. This is all well and good for inner cities, but towns/more rural locations are still stuck at 3/4mps if we're lucky. I think this is more a PR exercise than reality. If they only have coverage for 10% of the country for speeds like this, can they really claim to have such an advanced network?

Most of us will never even see 100mbps in our lifetime is my guess. There's just not enough money/willingness to invest for the infrastructure in the private sector. And besides, by the time we have those kinds of speeds, the internet is going to be so heavily censored that it will be pointless anyway, if current trends persist.

How much is 100mbps connection in your area? My isp is offering 120mbps for 150 CAD/month which is probably somewhere near 100 euro

I just checked the Virgin site and it seems they are flogging 100MB internet for ?45 a month.

I thought Infinity was 40 down 10 up, which is being upgraded to 80 down 20 up sometime this year?

BT offer two infinity services (depending on which they enable at your exchange/cabinet).

- FTTC (Fibre to The Cabinet) which is currently capped at 40mbit down/10mbit up, soon to be increased to 80mbit down (not sure about the up)

- FTTP/FTTH (Fibre to The Premises/Home) which is currently capped at 100mbit down/15mbit up.This will also be increased sometime in the future.

BT just enabled my middle-of-nowhere house in Cornwall to have FTTP, gone from 0.5mbit -> 100mbit. Not sure what these 'appauling bandwidth restrictions' are people talk of, the only restriction I've seen/heard of is torrents are capped at peak times (which is a good thing imo), the rest is unlimited, they removed the 300GB FUP in March 2011.

BT offer two infinity services (depending on which they enable at your exchange/cabinet).

- FTTC (Fibre to The Cabinet) which is currently capped at 40mbit down/10mbit up, soon to be increased to 80mbit down (not sure about the up)

- FTTP/FTTH (Fibre to The Premises/Home) which is currently capped at 100mbit down/15mbit up.This will also be increased sometime in the future.

BT just enabled my middle-of-nowhere house in Cornwall to have FTTP, gone from 0.5mbit -> 100mbit. Not sure what these 'appauling bandwidth restrictions' are people talk of, the only restriction I've seen/heard of is torrents are capped at peak times (which is a good thing imo), the rest is unlimited, they removed the 300GB FUP in March 2011.

You're one of the lucky 1 in a million then :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

How much is 100mbps connection in your area? My isp is offering 120mbps for 150 CAD/month which is probably somewhere near 100 euro

I curently pay ?56 a month for 100mb internet & phone line, when the discount kicks in around April, it will come down to around ?49

Meanwhile here in the U.S. I have an 8mb down 512k up with 100GB a month limit for $59.99 a month. $1 for every GB I go over. This is the best package they have. My friend works for them and he tells me they have the ability and the bandwidth to go 20mb down and 5mb up right now. They are working on upgrading their equipment again. When they finish it will be able to give everyone 50mb down and 20mb up. They have no plans in increasing the speed or 100GB data limit anytime in the future according to their management.

It's nice to know that you could be getting more for your money but since you live somewhere with only 1 choice for high speed internet they can treat you as ****ty as they want to and you have nowhere else to go.