Question

Hello. I have some questions. I know C++ well enough to be useful to me. I know a little bit of OOP programming and a little of STL. I know HTML, CSS, some PHP and MySql enough for making a forum or a blog or a similar thing and I know a bit of JS and a bit of AJAX. Before starting the next school year in september I programmed and though that it isn't enough just to know some programming languages and libraries to create something useful like a simple scanline renderer. In this day I learned about algorithms. In school we make some simple programs in C++ like a program that can make the addition of 2 numbers from any numeral system or make a program that can make this "somEnickNAme" to "sOmEnIcKnAmE". I don't thing that these programs are really useful and from that i really lose motivation. I've read about algorithms and made some implentations of Selection Sort and Insertion Sort, but now i have no idea how to continue. I see that in the programming competitions i must know alot about algorithms especially about graphs, pathfinding, datastructures etc. So I'm asking about a good resource about this stuff. I don't like books, but I like tutorials so please send me tutorials :) .

7 answers to this question

Is your enter key broken? Typing in a long paragraph makes your post very hard to read.

Try this: http://www.algolist.net/

Although, I always found it more useful to actually put this stuff into practice by building stuff from the ground up, such as an XML parser (will teach you about the stack data structure) or even a flowcharting tool (this is where graph theory and line routing algorithms become interesting).

While job searching the three main things I've seen were Java, C++ and C#. With C#, SharePoint work seems to be getting big right now. I'd make sure that you know those three really well for when it comes time to job search time. Also, be sure you make some stuff from scratch and not just following tutorials.

While job searching the three main things I've seen were Java, C++ and C#. With C#, SharePoint work seems to be getting big right now. I'd make sure that you know those three really well for when it comes time to job search time. Also, be sure you make some stuff from scratch and not just following tutorials.

QFT.

Alternatively, note that most languages used commonly (procedural and OOP) belong to imperative programming. If you don't care of above or you're looking for challenge or simply want to have your brain f*cked up, try logic (which belongs to declarative, a direct opposite), for example, Prolog and its many dialects and derivatives :devil:

First of all I'm doing everything from scratch. I rarely use code from the internet, because it's hard to understand, because it's not written by me.

I know a bit of C# and I really like the language. It's like a better C++. It' simpler, but i don't like that my applications must run on the .NET Platform. I want to run them directly to the CPU like the normal C++ applications. It just fews better when you know that you have a fast, independ application :), even if it will run well on .NET.

And I'm working on learning OOP don't worry :). And I'm hearing for the first time in my life about Prolog and it looks really interesting in wikipedia :).

BTW I made now for about 5-10 minutes an implentation of bubble sort from http://www.algolist....ing/Bubble_sort . I haven't looked in the code below. Here it is. If there can be some fixes to this code tell me:

/*Bubble Sort*/
#include<iostream>
using namespace std;
int input[10];
bool sortAgain=true;
int main()
{
for(int n=0;n<10;n++)//Get input
{
cout<<"Type number["<<n<<"]:";
cin>>input[n];
}
while(true)
{
for(int m=0;m<9;m++)//Bubble sort
{
if(input[m]>input[m+1])//Swap
{
int temp=input[m];
input[m]=input[m+1];
input[m+1]=temp;
sortAgain=true;
}
}
if(sortAgain==false)
{
break;
}
else
{
sortAgain=false;
}
}
cout<<"Output:";//Output result
for(int i=0;i<9;i++)
{
cout<<input[i]<<",";
}
cout<<input[9]<<endl;
system("PAUSE");
return 0;
}
[/CODE]

Learn about algorithms and data structures. http://stackoverflow...ures-algorithms

Read Code Complete - best book I know about good coding practices

Find a project you'd like to do, maybe a robot, a video game, a fractal generator, whatever, and do it.

I know a bit of C# and I really like the language. It's like a better C++. It' simpler, but i don't like that my applications must run on the .NET Platform. I want to run them directly to the CPU like the normal C++ applications. It just fews better when you know that you have a fast, independ application :), even if it will run well on .NET.

C# compiles to native code just like C++, only it usually does so just-in-time rather than ahead of time like C++ (you can compile it ahead of time with NGEN). The default implementations of several things you use in C++ (for example the standard streams and operator new) are many times slower than their .NET equivalent, so unless you really know what you're doing, your C++ program is probably slower than if you had written it on .NET.