Android 4.0.4 for Verizon Galaxy Nexus leaks

android-4-0-4_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

An unexpected over-the-air update for one lucky Verizon Galaxy Nexus at Android Central has turned into a downloadable ROM for Android hackers. The version is 4.0.4, which matches the Ice Cream Sandwich leak for the Sprint Nexus S 4G from a few days ago. For the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, the changes are predictably minor for a point-update, but should ease some of the pain users have been experiencing. Users at xda-developers have been putting together an unofficial change log which reveals that switching between 4G and 3G is much more efficient now, perhaps thanks to new radio firmware. There's also a new power menu (which has been available to those on a 4.0.3 ROM), speed enhancements throughout, and multitouch also seems to work better.

Obviously installing a leaked ROM isn't for everybody, but the faint-of-heart should know that there's a better than even chance that what we're looking at here is going to be released to all Verizon Galaxy Nexus customers in the near future. Hit up the source links for the full list of fixes and for information on how to procure the ROM, if that's your style

http://www.theverge....-leaks-bugfixes

I hate this!!!! every single 4.0.4 rom got leaked but not for Nexus S GSM..

i have been waiting here patiently for more than a month now.

Didnt the GSM get the 4.0.3 build? CDMA never got that

4.0.4 hasn't been pushed to AOSP either... so give it a bit. Once it's pushed as an OTA to either the Nexus S 4G or Galaxy Nexus, I'm sure you'll see it on AOSP and headed to the Nexus S.

Don't forget, the Nexus S 4G doesn't even have 4.x yet and that's what they are working on the most. Most of the changes involve WIMAX support and minor bug fixes... so you aren't missing much on any devices.

4.0.4 hasn't been pushed to AOSP either... so give it a bit. Once it's pushed as an OTA to either the Nexus S 4G or Galaxy Nexus, I'm sure you'll see it on AOSP and headed to the Nexus S.

Don't forget, the Nexus S 4G doesn't even have 4.x yet and that's what they are working on the most. Most of the changes involve WIMAX support and minor bug fixes... so you aren't missing much on any devices.

The changelog has a lot of minor changes so I may be flashing the OTA from XDA forums in a few. Someone got the OTA update and posted it in XDA so its the official update.

Bone stock non rooted can't update to this yet right?

You have to be rooted in order to apply the update and have the bootloader unlocked. Best to have stock recovery as well. Works great and root is easy.

You have to be rooted in order to apply the update and have the bootloader unlocked. Best to have stock recovery as well. Works great and root is easy.

Pretty sure you're incorrect about that. I believe even fully stock and locked bootloader phones can flash this. Just name it update.zip and throw it in the SD card root and reboot to bootloader. Should install like a normal OTA update that way.

Either way, running great here too.

Pretty sure you're incorrect about that. I believe even fully stock and locked bootloader phones can flash this. Just name it update.zip and throw it in the SD card root and reboot to bootloader. Should install like a normal OTA update that way.

Either way, running great here too.

Just checked, do have to be rooted and bootloaders need to be unlocked. If not, then you will get an error saying the BLs are locked and the update wont apply. You need root access to get to the /cache folder when the update installs

This is what I did....

Made sure I as on stock 4.0.2 with stock recovery. Then....

Rooted/unlocked my phone using the Galaxy Nexus Tookit

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1400871

Then I went here to apply the update...

http://www.androidau...vailable-50690/

The link to Clockworkmod recovery IMG it tells you to download and use to apply the update didnt work for me. I had to use this .IMG file instead...

http://download.cloc....5.0.4-toro.img

That was it. Worked fine and in 10 minutes I was on 4.0.4.

Ohh, you will lose root once you apply the 4.0.4 update. Download/flash this ZIP file in CWM and you will get root again. The Nexus Toolkit isnt updated yet so that will not work to root your phone after the 4.0.4 update. Your bootloaders will still be unlocked after the update.

http://www.box.com/s/jvcf196j7x8f8vrc9cyt

Just checked, do have to be rooted and bootloaders need to be unlocked. If not, then you will get an error saying the BLs are locked and the update wont apply. You need root access to get to the /cache folder when the update installs

Hmm that didn't seem to be the general consensus on xda last night when I flashed, but I can't confirm nor deny since I've been unlocked and rooted with cwm installed since day one.

Edit: reading a little more about it, it looks like the bare minimum to install this is to have an unlocked bootloader so you can fastboot boot cwm and install the update.zip from there. So, root is not absolutely required, but unlocked bootloader is.

Hmm that didn't seem to be the general consensus on xda last night when I flashed, but I can't confirm nor deny since I've been unlocked and rooted with cwm installed since day one.

Edit: reading a little more about it, it looks like the bare minimum to install this is to have an unlocked bootloader so you can fastboot boot cwm and install the update.zip from there. So, root is not absolutely required, but unlocked bootloader is.

Wasnt 100 percent sure since I to was already rooted and always root before I do anything. Easy enough to root so why not. But the instructions I posted worked for me.

One of the guys I asked said this when I asked if the phone needed to be rooted...

Technically no.

The biggest deal is getting the ota into /cache. This requires root access. What I did was unlock, and completely stock--

I took a 4.0.2 boot.img that I had pre-rooted, and fastbooted it temporarily. Then I did an adb remount to set system rw, and pushed the ota into /cache/. Then I merely booted to stock recovery and flashed it.

Wasnt 100 percent sure since I to was already rooted and always root before I do anything. Easy enough to root so why not. But the instructions I posted worked for me.

One of the guys I asked said this when I asked if the phone needed to be rooted...

I totally agree, if you've already unlocked the bootloader, why wouldn't you be rooted too.