Windows 8 8220 x64 Screens Leaked :D

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#166 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 9,272 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 23:58

""I thought maybe i'd switch to a traditional desktop os once windows 8 came out, but meh i figure windows 7 will be good for awhile, at least until windows 9. Microsoft will realize the stupidity of windows 8, and come back to their senses by then. ""

You mean kind of like what they did with Vista?

Either way, agreeing with a ton of other people's posts, enough with the leaked screenshots. We need a leaked ISO so we can see if we can turn all this CRAP off, and turn on all of the functionality that will make it act and run like Windows 7. There are too many older users that don't want the learning curve, and too many younger users that don't want it different than windows 7. If we wanted a mac, we'd buy one (or the majority of us on here, would run a hackintosh), if we wanted to run a foreign looking OS, we'd put up a dart board with random linux variants. Microsoft, seriously, head out of ass now.

Actually, it's far from foreign-looking. This is, believe it or not, largely what pre-XP Windows was like (especially 9x/NT) - clean and largely minimalist. What's missing is all the post-XP Start menu-based clutter.

I got rather forcibly reminded of that when I created a Windows 2000 Professional VM. Other than the design language for the UI (MDL vs. GDI) the Immersive UI *is* the *Classic Windows* (2000/XP/Vista) UI. (You might have heard of it - the alternative to the default UI in XP and Vista (which was, in fact, banished in Windows 7 with no alternative but the default Vista-style UI + additions)?)

Either we have a LOT of closet post-XP users on here (since, for some reason, the default Vista/7 UI is getting lots of love lately) or we have folks that are so used to the Windows 7 UI that they refuse to move from it (even IF it has its roots in the much-despised Vista).

Seriously - if you don't believe me, create a virtual machine using Windows 2000 or earlier, and compare the UI to that of the WDP.

#167 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,395 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 07 February 2012 - 00:25

Thank you, Anaron!

Most of the detraction has come from folks that have gone entirely by screenshots (posted here and elsewhere) seen the resemblance to Windows Phone and run away screaming in fear.

I had most of the *same* concerns they have voiced - however, I reserved judgement until actually trying the WDP for myself.

I was surprised - in fact, quite shocked - to discover that my concerns about compatibility and productivity-loss (even with existing applications and existing non-touch-capable hardware) were completely overblown.

If anything, the desktop is MORE minimalist than Windows has been since the 95/NT4 era.

And that is - from what I've heard from the detractors via their comments - the real issue.

They like all the additions to the Start menu (almost all of which came since XP - either from Vista or 7) and got used to them being under their mouse wheel.

Since I don't use a lot of those same shortcuts (I don't use the Superbar at all any more), to me those same Start menu items (all of which are duplicated elsewhere, even in 7) have become so much clutter.

I loathe clutter - I did, in fact, move to a wireless USB keyboard and mouse to cut down on it with my desktop. (My desktop retains a wired connection because it connects to my router - and a wired connection remains the standard for router administration and firmware updates/replacement, The midtower case itself can be moved to my 42" FPTV in the bedroom (and I have a wireless, and USB, dongle for non-admin connectivity) - so the wires *can* be cut to a large extent, even on desktops. (That is also why I suggested something like Fences for the StartScreen - to address the StartScreen clutter issue.)

You're welcome. :) It's easy to judge a book by its cover. When I first saw the Start screen, I thought it looked really bad. I also thought it wouldn't work well with traditional mouse and keyboard input. Fortunately, I came to realize that change isn't always a bad thing. I look forward to playing with the consumer preview.

#168 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,275 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:25

You're welcome. :) It's easy to judge a book by its cover. When I first saw the Start screen, I thought it looked really bad. I also thought it wouldn't work well with traditional mouse and keyboard input. Fortunately, I came to realize that change isn't always a bad thing. I look forward to playing with the consumer preview.

reading these threads each time there is a new windows release is always amusing, its the same comments each release. With every release I realize how "perfect" the last version of Windows is. Thats where a lot of users I think get caught up. Windows 7 is pretty much perfect, I can think of very little that would be needed to improve it, and thats the problem. We get so caught it with what we have and how we use that product that its hard to accept something new. With Windows 7 Microsoft pretty much perfected the traditional desktop environment. Windows 8 is a great entry for Microsoft into the Touch environment, and I applaud Microsoft for embracing the future of computing while at least retaining the traditional environment.

#169 techguy77

techguy77

Neowinian

• 798 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:32

I'm pretty sure the big players (Microsoft, Apple, Google) are eventually going to "phase-out" the traditional desktop, they are just laying the groundwork for that now.

Desktop wont be phased out because Smart Phone will never be as powerful as Desktop PC however PC might be only for certain people.

#170 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

• 1,356 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:09

Yet I never heard any complaints when people simply post "I love Metro". We have a word for that: Hypocrisy. I agree with you though, if you're posting an opinion about something you should be able to explain why you feel a certain way.

LOL of course not. Some people around here are though.

That doesn't help, they'll just say, "that's what you always say, stop repeating the same thing."

Of course they're going to repeat it! that's WHY they don't like it.

#171 OP badb0y

badb0y

Giacomo

• 987 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:45

It's ugly, however im sure there's a lot more that needs to be added?

i don't think much will be changed as far as UI is concerned... Metro will look same even in Final... ;)

#172 OP badb0y

badb0y

Giacomo

• 987 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 14:46

I'm pretty sure the big players (Microsoft, Apple, Google) are eventually going to "phase-out" the traditional desktop, they are just laying the groundwork for that now.

we will see more and more tablets in coming years, however traditional desktops wont be fully replaced...

#173 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,920 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 07 February 2012 - 14:50

i have yet to see a feature in Windows 8 that would convince me to upgrade from 7. can anyone tell me a new and exciting feature?

I agree with you.. Looks like windows 7 is my "2000" lol

#174 tomcoleman

tomcoleman

Neowinian

• 319 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 16:56

cack

#175 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• 6,834 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 17:00

at this point it would be easier to backup your data, reformat, and install a fresh copy of windows 7 or 8.

Not always.

#176 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

• 3,293 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 17:17

I agree with you.. Looks like windows 7 is my "2000" lol

More directed to the person you quoted from, but here are *some* of the new enhancements for desktop users It's most certainly not by any means a comprehensive list, as I'm just picking up things off the top of my head.
  • Improved multi-monitor support (separate task bars, stretching wallpapers, etc.)
  • ISO mounting
  • Improved Copy & Moving
  • Windows Reset & Refresh
  • Improved networking stack (faster connections)
  • Greatly improved start up, shut down & wake up spends
  • Base memory usage reduced by over 100MB
  • Built in antivirus solution (Integrated MSE)
  • Secure boot (attempts to prevens rootkits / malware from interfering with boot up)
  • Windows To Go (Entire Windows environment on a USB drive)
  • DirectAccess improvements that makes managing networks easier for admins
  • Simplified setup and deployment in network environments
  • Syncing of settings over the cloud of your settings to all your PC's
  • Storage Spaces
The desktop upgrades certainly seem like they'll be on par with the move from Vista -> 7, even if you ignore Metro.

#177 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,416 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 07 February 2012 - 18:28

toycack

#178 V23

V23

Neowinian

• 221 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 22:43

we will see more and more tablets in coming years, however traditional desktops wont be fully replaced...

I look forward to buying a desktop PC in 2032.