Which virtual solution for learning AD

Hey all, I have been reading a lot and watching tons of videos. I am learning the basics of active directory on my own and am looking for the right virtulization technology. I would want to create a virtual network with a server and multiple computers on it. I am at the beginning of my learning so I trust you will know what features I will need down the line and recommend the correct product for me.

I have been working with vmware workstation and recently switched to server I wish they could coexist on the same machine... I have 24gb of ram so I can spare enough for a server and multiple clients. hard disk space is not limited and each vm has 50gb on it's own hard drive, can go higher on the server if needed. Processing power is the only bottle neck I assume. I have an i5 2500k. Host windows 7 runs on Agility 3 SSDs.

thanks,

RK

well to get the latest server os, you are either going to have to build a esxi server or you are going to have to build a microsoft hyper v server. Basically, vmware server (the windows version, which is 2.0) does not support 64 bit OSes and the latest windows server version is 64bit only. by making a hypervisor only server with guest oses tethered off of it, the hardware becomes useless as a client computer so you would need a second computer to run it. But you would be able to build your entire network with those 2 pieces of hardware and a network switch....workstation oses, multiple servers, etc. You are right though, the bottle neck will be the processing power, so you may only be able to have 3 or 4 guest oses running at the same time.

You will be able to get the basics down. perhaps gettting an inexpensive laptop would be beneficial to you, and using the microsoft technet for proper licensing being that this is a test environment.

Ah crap, I just re-read your post; I thought you wre saying that Hyper-V didn't support 64-bit OS's.

I apologize.

Why not just continue using Workstation? There is also Virtualbox. For learning stuff they are more than sufficient. If you were building something in production then you'd want to use ESXi, but VMWare Server 2.0 is what we are using at the moment because we didn't have the hardware support at the time for 64-bit guests, and this server was using Server 2008 for another reason, so we put VMWare Server on it.

Also VMWare Server 2.0 can support 64-guest OSes: (I know because we are running some at work.)

http://www.virtuatop...ws_.2864-bit.29

In short, those all will do what you want.

VMWare Server and ESXi are better options as they are closer to what you'll see in a live environment.

Well look at that yes it does, if the hardware is capable of it. I must have been running hardware that wasn't capable of the virtualization technology option in the bios when I was playing with it.

I would use esxi, there is much less overhead than vmware server....the host os leaves a much smaller footprint on available resources.

If you're just trying to learn about active directory, just use VMWare Workstation.

If you're trying to learn how to setup a long term virtual disillusionment for hosting a production working server that hosts active directory, use Hyper-V in my opinion. Esxi server would be my recommendation if you had a stand alone box you could virtualize on and a workstation to do the testing on since ESXI runs as its own OS. Hyper-V runs on windows server 2008 R2, so you could still have a running OS to do things on while having test machines within a virtual environment. (I actually run my WDS and Active Directory domain controller in a Hyper-V machine so if the host machine ever needs to be changed I can just move the entire VM to a new one and keep on rocking).

(I actually run my WDS and Active Directory domain controller in a Hyper-V machine so if the host machine ever needs to be changed I can just move the entire VM to a new one and keep on rocking).

The same can be done with vmware, move and inventory into a new vmware server.

vmware Vsphere/ESXi with vcenter converter to convert a physical machine into a virtual machine.

+1 to this. Get yourself a cheap server, dual proc, 8Gb ram. Install ESXi on it (free) then install the virtual machines on it.

I have a virtual network running on a DL585 G2 (4 x Quad Core Opteron, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb disks), mostly Server 2008 R2 but I've got 2 x virtual pfSense firewall protecting my internal and DMZ network.

GE