• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 07 February 2012 - 22:06

turn gps off.

#17 Aletheia

Aletheia

Neowinian

Posted 07 February 2012 - 22:16

My friend who has iPhone 4, also had a simlar problem when he updated his iOS to 5.0. He finally figured out that the problem was in MS Exchange. After the upgrade, the Exchange would cause rapid battery drainage. But after resetting MS Exchange (I don't know what he did), the battery consumption went back to normal.

#18 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 07 February 2012 - 22:26

My friend who has iPhone 4, also had a simlar problem when he updated his iOS to 5.0. He finally figured out that the problem was in MS Exchange. After the upgrade, the Exchange would cause rapid battery drainage. But after resetting MS Exchange (I don't know what he did), the battery consumption went back to normal.

Thanks for that info! My work's email is an exchange server and I've noticed some weird behavior in the past few days where it once or twice a day a message will pop-up about unable to verify the authenticy of my works server. Our secure connection isn't verisigned or whatever, so we just click through that stuff. Usually I just have to do it once, but it has bugged me at least once a day.

As I went through and deleted everything on my phone I think I found the culpret of the problem (but am not 100% sure). I recently downloaded PC Gamer magazine on my iPad and subscribed to that. The app was loaded onto my phone during a sync with my computer a few nights ago. I found that in the "Store" settings, PC Gamer was set to auto download new content and to use Cell Network. I think this may have been the problem, but I don't understand why it wouldn't just download the latest issue over WiFi and be done with it (what is with the trickle download over WiFi and Cell?).

Anyway, nuked everything not pre-loaded on the OS and I've re-enabled all my sync services. After about an hour the battery life seems fine (hasn't dropped 1%) and the device feels cool. I'm going to slowly add things back on as I need them. I'm going to have to leave my Cell Data turned off until the end of my month period because I'm only on the 200MB plan and this problem has sucked up about 170MB over the past 2 days :( :(.

I'm probably still not out of the woods. I hate having the battery % shown at the top because I find myself just staring at it and thinking about it, but I'll probably leave it there for the next few days... I hope it was just the PC Gamer magazine trying to download the latest edition or something. It would give me some peace of mind that it was a setting or something rather than just a bug somewhere.

#19 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 February 2012 - 23:59

So today everything has worked just fine. No heat noticed, and it is almost the end of the work day and my phone is at 86% which is back to normal. So at least I'm certain that there isn't any underlying hardware issues.

I'm uncertaint what exactly was the problem, but I'm incline to believe that it had to do with Exchange as Aletheia suggested. Reason being, I had a significant amount of upload data as well as download data shown in the usage under cell data. I thought that maybe it was the PC Gamer magazine trying to download the latest issue, but then it would be all downstream activity and no upstream activity. My upstream and downstream data was about the same, which in my mind is more consistent with a problem talking with something like Exchange.

#20 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2012 - 19:51

&*^#$(&)*UJG*&#$@

This is really starting to get irritating. So I've had cell phone data turned off because the problem had sucked up most of my monthly data and now I have about 15MB to work with over the next 9 days or else I'll be charged another $15. I momentarily turned on the Cell Data at lunch to check a website, and I started to notice the same thing happening. My phone began to heat up and the data usage was going wild on the cell data side. Blah. Looks like the problem is not solved yet.

While ONLY connected to WiFi and with the Cell Data turned OFF there doesn't seem to be any problems. Connected to WiFi and with Cell Data turned ON, my phone starts to heat up and the cell data is going crazy. Just sitting here for 3 minutes, my phone uploaded 500KB and downloaded about 700KB through the Cell network even though WiFi is connected and enabled! :cry:

#21 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 10 February 2012 - 21:53

I think you did get hacked by a drug cartel.... LOL.

#22 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

Posted 10 February 2012 - 22:00

You should just take it into the Apple store and see what they think. Even though it's out of warranty, it's not uncommon that they will give you a replacement at no cost. It's worth a shot instead of being burdened by it. :)

#23 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2012 - 22:05

I think it is probably worth taking to Apple.

I deleted all of my email accounts and my iCloud account off of my phone. Went to check usage and it seemed to have stopped. I re-enabled all my email accounts and my iCloud account, went to usage (re-set the statistics) and it used about 20KB down and 8KB up and then stopped... I checked it in 5 minutes and it hadn't sent or received any data through the cell network.

I dunno if this actually fixed things or my deleting and re-enabling the accounts was just coincidental to another intermittent problem.

#24 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 10 February 2012 - 22:52

I think it is probably worth taking to Apple.

I deleted all of my email accounts and my iCloud account off of my phone. Went to check usage and it seemed to have stopped. I re-enabled all my email accounts and my iCloud account, went to usage (re-set the statistics) and it used about 20KB down and 8KB up and then stopped... I checked it in 5 minutes and it hadn't sent or received any data through the cell network.

I dunno if this actually fixed things or my deleting and re-enabling the accounts was just coincidental to another intermittent problem.

Ask the Apple Store to give you something to hand your mobile carrier so you might get some of the data back and not have a month of no mobile data! :)

Glassed Silver:mac

#25 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2012 - 23:06

It will have to wait until I have an opportunity to travel to the city near by (about an hour) to get to an Apple store. If the symptoms come back again I'll take it to the AT&T store. If anything I can document that i took it there if I have any charges on my bill I need to dispute. I think I have enough data to get me through the rest of the month though.... it will suck :(.

Worst case scenario I can use my old iPhone 3gs until my contract runs out in June.

#26 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:23

All last week everything seemed fine. I checked my cell usage on my phone regularly and was averaging about 2MB a day which I consider nominal.

Today I get to work, check my usage (because I didn't check it all weekend) to find this:

Posted Image

:( :( :(

What the heck is going on? I didn't notice any abnormal battery draining issues like before. According to myAT&T they only have 20MB of usage for me so far. I called support and they said they only show 20MB of usage as well but they have seen delays in reporting of this before. They told me I should go to the Apple Store which I intend to do as soon as I get a chance. AT&T told me that worst case scenario I'd be charged the 5GB plan fee, but I will probably still kick and scream if it comes to that...

The AT&T support guy asked if I did a lot of video streaming or something. I told him, no, and even if I did that would not account for the 4GB uploaded (that is indicated). I hope that this is just a fluke in the OS, but I went all last year without ever resetting the statistics and I only had about 1.5GB down and 600MB up (for the whole year, which seems about right).

Grrrrr....

#27 gq2012

gq2012

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:50

dude, im having the EXACT same problem as you (still have no idea how it happened). And seeing as you didnt subsequently provide updates on this post, im assuming that you've got the problem fixed??

SOS. my data usage's gonna kill my phone bill....

ANY help would be great!

#28 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:09

gq2012: to this day I'm not 100% sure WHAT the issue was. AT&T never registered a 4GB up/down like my iPhone was reporting (thank God) so I was never billed for it.

My phone is fine now after trying a bunch of things but I am not sure what the issue was and I'm not confident that it won't come back. I still suspect my work's exchange server for some reason, but I don't know. Reinstallation of the entire OS and not restoring from a backup but rather reinstalling each application manually might have been the solution. I really don't know. Sorry :(.

#29 bjoswald

bjoswald

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:47

Not sure how many of this stuff applies to an iPhone, but they're typically the culprit of ****ty battery life on Android.

Disable GPS,
Adjust sync settings,
Reduce brightness,
Disable vibrate/LED notifications,
Reduce screen off delay

#30 TuesdayLisa

TuesdayLisa

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:55

The same thing is happening to my iPhone 4. I took it into Apple and the "genius" said that it had something to do with the latest update turning all the apps to default on for location services. He also said I had my display on too bright (oh ya "genius?" Why would it make my phone hot NOW when it's been fine for over a year?) So we turned off a lot of the location services but it's still getting too hot. I'm going to have to go back to Apple and if I get another guy like that last one, I'm going to lose it on him. I'm SO frustrated!!!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!