iPhone 4 is running hot and battery draining faster than normal

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:23

OMG Lisa, like I tooooooooootally understand :rolleyes:

Like Shadrack eventually found out, anything that is straining the mobile network will cause the phone to get warm and overheat. As a phone technician, the only other reason I've seen it do that is if something is shorted out, in which case the phone turns off as a safety measure like a computer would.

People are generally luddites when it comes to cell phones unless they have experience selling/working with them, so the explanation sounds reasonable given that Bluetooth, GPS, Display, Exchange and/or Network Connections are the main culprits of battery drain. ESPECIALLY, in Shadrack's case where he was roaming internationally.

#32 bitbucket

bitbucket

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:40

i noticed my iphone 4 heats up a lot while at work (multi story building, crap reception on lower floors) i think it may be the fact that its constantly searching for a 3g connection hence why it heats up while down at my desk, but quickly cools when on the top floor of the building.

#33 Tech Star

Tech Star

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:04

Same thing happened with my 4S this past week. Battery dying quick, but only gets hot when in use.

The battery is the main issue for me because it drains 12% in an hour with minimal amount of use, e.g. texting.

#34 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 04 July 2012 - 15:29

For people having these issues and still haven't been able to resolve them, I recommend doing a complete reinstall of iOS and DO NOT RESTORE FROM YOUR PREVIOUS BACKUP. I know, it sucks to have to manually reinstall/reset everything, but I suspect that with my issue the actual problem existed somewhere in my backup so restoring that backup was just restoring my problem (whatever it was).

#35 CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 04 July 2012 - 15:37

Why not simply keep an eye on the Console Logs for a recurring error / process and nuke that from the Backup? This way surely you're not going to lose everything.

I'm running the same 'Backup' I had on my iPhone 1st gen. I have text messages still sitting on my iPhone 4S from way back then.

#36 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 04 July 2012 - 15:53

It's too bad important things such as your Messages database aren't stored in the user-accessible area of iOS. User-accessible as in you can use tools to read and restore files from your device without jailbreaking them - so your photos, music, applications and their data, voice clips, etc. If it were, it would be a no-brainer to recommend a clean reinstall of iOS when problems arise, so that you can selectively copy back important data to your phone.

#37 CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 04 July 2012 - 17:43

It's too bad important things such as your Messages database aren't stored in the user-accessible area of iOS. User-accessible as in you can use tools to read and restore files from your device without jailbreaking them - so your photos, music, applications and their data, voice clips, etc. If it were, it would be a no-brainer to recommend a clean reinstall of iOS when problems arise, so that you can selectively copy back important data to your phone.

Arguably you can via my method as above, still, I'd rather a non-restorable SQL DB than Androids saving of Text Messages as single txt files throughout the FileSystem.

#38 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 July 2012 - 22:33

Yeah...it sucks, but in all reality do most folks need every last txt they have ever sent or received? Before iPhone, my Samsung flip phone would only hold a TOTAL 100 messages (sent+received) so I was constantly deleting messages.

#39 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 06 July 2012 - 00:38

Yeah...it sucks, but in all reality do most folks need every last txt they have ever sent or received? Before iPhone, my Samsung flip phone would only hold a TOTAL 100 messages (sent+received) so I was constantly deleting messages.

Sentimental value. :p

Though officially there isn't a tool to view the oldest messages on your iPhone (Messages app cuts off after the most recent 300 or so messages, if I recall correctly) even though they exist in the SQLite file.

#40 Josh_LosAltosHills

Josh_LosAltosHills

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5. Waiting on New Nokia Phones

Posted 06 July 2012 - 23:09

Ive been seeing alot of people complaining that instagram has been draining their battery lately. Who knows but it doesnt seem impossible. I have 2 games, a drag racing game and a baseball game. If I dont totally kill both I do notice a drain on my battery.

#41 texanthony17

texanthony17

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 27 September 2013 - 14:04

I had the same prob. Then I found an article that recommended the following, and it actually worked!

Disable the Push feature used by your email accounts. Tap the "Settings" icon on your iPhone's home screen. Tap into "Mail, Contacts, Calenders" and then tap into "Fetch New Datalb_icon1.png." Disable the Push feature, then reboot your iPhone. If the battery issue is resolved, return to the "Fetch New Data" area and set up the Fetch feature to fetch your mail, while leaving Push disabled

I hope this help you, cause it certainly was eating up my data plan, and draining my battery. I was constantly switching on and off the Cellular data. I thought the problem would get fixed after I updated my 4S to OS7, but it still kept draining. But now its all good. Good luck!

#42 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 September 2013 - 14:09

I had the same prob. Then I found an article that recommended the following, and it actually worked!

Disable the Push feature used by your email accounts. Tap the "Settings" icon on your iPhone's home screen. Tap into "Mail, Contacts, Calenders" and then tap into "Fetch New Datalb_icon1.png." Disable the Push feature, then reboot your iPhone. If the battery issue is resolved, return to the "Fetch New Data" area and set up the Fetch feature to fetch your mail, while leaving Push disabled

I hope this help you, cause it certainly was eating up my data plan, and draining my battery. I was constantly switching on and off the Cellular data. I thought the problem would get fixed after I updated my 4S to OS7, but it still kept draining. But now its all good. Good luck!

Holy thread resurrection batman, welcome to neowin! I was expecting  spam on that link!

#43 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 27 September 2013 - 14:16

The NSA is tracking you.