Superman: Man of Steel (2013)

The guy looks great as superman, but gosh I wish there was more colour to the suit. It feels like it's trying too hard to be "dark".

yep me too, not a fan of the muted colors

Lex Luthor isn't listed in the cast at IMDB, but that could be smoke or he could appear post-credits Marvel-style for a later DC film / sequel.

Rumours are you'll see him but he won't be in the story

Well, we know for a fact he hasn't been removed from the universe

at least. The trailer showed the LexCorp building.

If he becomes a mainstay of the story at some point -Supervillain-

I hope they don't make him the comedy relief again. What Ledger did

with the Joker was brilliant. I expected Spacey to do the same with

Luthor, but... I blame the writers for that.

Really excited for this. I'm not a big Superman fan in so much as I have no real interest in the previous movies, or the comics - but the film looks terrific. I think Zack Snyder has been rather cruelly underrated by critics but I've liked films like 300 and Watchmen as they certainly have a very unique visual style.. I think that, combined with a slightly more mature feel to the film (as it looks like this will have) as well as the fantastic Hans Zimmer score, could be a real winner. I can't wait to see it.

Really excited for this. I'm not a big Superman fan in so much as I have no real interest in the previous movies, or the comics - but the film looks terrific. I think Zack Snyder has been rather cruelly underrated by critics but I've liked films like 300 and Watchmen as they certainly have a very unique visual style.. I think that, combined with a slightly more mature feel to the film (as it looks like this will have) as well as the fantastic Hans Zimmer score, could be a real winner. I can't wait to see it.

Superman needed a dose of realism and this movie looks like it'll deliver that. I always liked Superman growing up but I always thought of him as a little too "goody goody". I think that's what pushed me to like Marvel's characters because of their more realistic portrayal in comic books, movies, and cartoons. I hope we see a darker side to Superman and I think fans want to see him let go... to really give the bad guys a pounding. Zack Snyder is the best director for this.

Watchmen is one of my favourite movies because of how it portrayed heroes. It wasn't all black and white when it came to morality and I think that's how more heroes/superheroes should be portrayed.

Anyway, another reason I'm really excited for Man of Steel is the special effects. The scenes in the trailer with explosions, ships, Kryptonians flying around, and even Superman flying through space look amazing.

I think this take is amazing. One question though - is there any Clark Kent in this or is that plotline not involved?

Yes, Clark is involved from childhood through his time with the Kents and into adulthood. From what I've seen so are Lana Lang, Pete Ross, Dr. Emil Hamilton, Faora and others not in the Donner films but in the comics and in Smallville. Also looks like we get Jenny Olsen instead of Jimmy, a nod to an old comic.

what you mean by 'realism', this superman we talking about, nothing that 'real' about it.

I mean portraying him in a more realistic fashion. Imagine how people would react if Superman suddenly showed up. That's the kind of movie I want to see. And that's what they're going for in Man of Steel. The previous movies have portrayed Superman as an unrealistic character. He was extremely good and I don't think his "good and pure" character can fit in well in today's world. He's no longer the American hero and more of a stranded alien coping with the responsibility of being one of Earth's greatest heroes. He may be Kryptonian by blood but he's human by nature.

See here:

"What Christopher Nolan and I have done with Superman is trying to bring the same naturalistic approach that we used adopted for the Batman trilogy. We always had a naturalistic approach, we want out stories to be rooted in reality, like they could happen in the same world we live in. It's not that easy with Superman, and actually this doesn't necessarily mean we will make a dark movie. But working on this reboot we are thinking about what would happen if a story like this one actually happened. How would people react to this? What impact would have the presence of Superman in the real world? What I really like to do is writing "genre" stories without a cartoonish element."

You could apply that logic to any super hero movie.

I think what he meant was it needs to be easier to suspend disbelief. In every Superman movie it's been "hey, this God has turned up and we're just going to trust him and stay out of his way."

You could apply that logic to any super hero movie.

I think what he meant was it needs to be easier to suspend disbelief. In every Superman movie it's been "hey, this God has turned up and we're just going to trust him and stay out of his way."

It's what Superman needs. In most Superman movies, it's been "I'm Superman and I can do no wrong. I need to be the ultimate good guy no matter what." I hope Man of Steel shows a more emotionally vulnerable side to Superman. I want to see him lose control for once or to contemplate murder.

Take a look at the end of this TV spot (posted by @benplace earlier):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SptwyAyvMzk

Have you ever heard Superman scream like that?

Superman 3 (with Richard Pryor) had him infected with bad Kryptonite. :)

Terrible movie, btw.

Anyhow, Superman NEEDS to show anger on a Wrath level, otherwise there is no

"human" element to the character.