Adobe Photoshop Elements 10

Question

I noticed that I can buy Photoshop Elements 10 in the OS X App Store for $79.99. Is it worth it? Is there a trial of Photoshop Elements? I have used the trial of Photoshop, and it is great.

I have a copy of Pixelmator, but I don't really like it. Maybe it's just because I'm used to Photoshop, but Pixelmator just isn't as good.

I know Photoshop Elements is a cut-down version of Photoshop, but I was thinking it would be better than Pixelmator because it would (I hope!) most likely function in a similar way to Photoshop. Or is it completely different?

What I need is a good program to create PNGs for web sites and mobile apps. I don't do photo editing.

9 answers to this question

I don't find Photoshop very good for creating images (as opposed to editing photos, which it is brilliant for), but I have Photoshop Elements 10 and it's almost identical to the full version of Photoshop. We've got the full version at work (CS4) and the only differences I've really noticed with Elements are the lack of a batch processing function and a few fewer options for filters and layer styles.

I don't find Photoshop very good for creating images (as opposed to editing photos, which it is brilliant for), but I have Photoshop Elements 10 and it's almost identical to the full version of Photoshop. We've got the full version at work (CS4) and the only differences I've really noticed with Elements are the lack of a batch processing function and a few fewer options for filters and layer styles.

What would you suggest for creating images?

Photoshop elements is excellent for the cataloguing of images (assigning a star rating, who's in it, where it is per pic). I've put in many hours on thousands of family photos and the result is very satisfying for creating books/dvds, uploading to flickr, etc.

It can do small 'touch-ups' but is very limited for that as it's not the primary focus of the app.

Illustrator is what your after, but Photoshop is pretty good all round. Done several illustrations from scratch using it.

Ya, I figured Illustrator is better for creating graphics. Thing is, AFAIK there is no Illustrator Elements-type program and I can't afford the full price of Photoshop or Illustrator. Hence my interest in the significantly cheaper Photoshop Elements.

Have you tried Acorn? Along with Pixelmator that's another app that's often recommended as a cheap alternative to Photoshop.

Elements is more geared towards photo management and adjusting. Like Picasa or iPhoto.

Have you tried Acorn? Along with Pixelmator that's another app that's often recommended as a cheap alternative to Photoshop.

Is there a free trial?