Sorry, Americans, No UMD passport program for you :(

Sony has told Kotaku that there will not be a North American version of the UMD Passport program, which would allow PlayStation Vita users to transfer their PSP discs to the upcoming handheld.

Sony debuted the UMD Passport program in Japan last December alongside the release of the Vita. Japanese gamers can insert their game discs into their PSPs, register them on their PlayStation Network accounts, and pay a small fee to re-download their games on the Vita.

Unless Sony changes its mind or announces some sort of alternative option, North American PSP owners will have no way to play their UMDs on the Vita, though they will be able to access any PSP games they purchased digitally.

I?ve asked Sony why it won?t bring the UMD Passport program to North American customers and will update with any further news or explanation.

Sony will release the PlayStation Vita in the US on February 22. Look out for Kotaku?s review in the coming weeks.

There is no news on whether this affects Aus customers. I have about 7 PSP games, and I would like the opportunity to put them on my Vita.

Sony has a tendency to 'skip' the US for a lot of things, hopefully the EU will get such a program. Although, UMD compatibility for me is not necessary as all of the PSP games I've bought over the past few years were off PSN.

Luckily I own approximately zero PSP games, or else I could potentially see this as maybe being a bad thing. With that said, I also have to point out the fact this is not the first time systems have been released without backwards capability for their predecessors. So I really do not see this as being such a big deal as some are making it out to be. Also if you own the digital versions of any PSP games, they will work.

Im really disappionted with this but its definatly tipical Sony.

Can we take any of our ps1 games we brought from the PSN store over? So do they games you already have on the PSN go over to your psvita?

Trust me, as a Vita owner. You wont want to play PSP games on it. It's bummer to lose money, but you could always trade them in and get a bunch of PSN cards for the Vita because games are about 20-40% cheaper on there.

There is no news on whether this affects Aus customers. I have about 7 PSP games, and I would like the opportunity to put them on my Vita.

We typically follow Europe, so while that doesn't automatically mean we will be getting that it does raise our chances a little higher.

I really don't know what the big deal is though, I mean why would you wanna play your old games on the Vita anyway? Right now you might think it's a good idea but after you've had the Vita for a while and played games made for it, you'll probally not gonna want to touch your PSP games. I know I wouldn't. Anyway I definitely won't be getting a Vita (or a 3DS) as I no longer see the point of dedicated handheld gaming machines (my PSP and DSLite are hardly used now, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere), I'm more then satisfied with gaming on my tablet/phone/iPod touch...I don't see the need for a forth device that will end up on a shelf gathering dust (plus the Vita is not cheap).

Luckily I own approximately zero PSP games, or else I could potentially see this as maybe being a bad thing. With that said, I also have to point out the fact this is not the first time systems have been released without backwards capability for their predecessors. So I really do not see this as being such a big deal as some are making it out to be. Also if you own the digital versions of any PSP games, they will work.

People die every day, so it's not dramatic when it happens with a close relative... UGH

That logic doesn't work. (Note: I do not want to compare the severity of people dying versus backwards compatibility not being integrated in consoles. This is merely an example to show how the underlying logic of reasoning both bits is flawed.)

I find backwards compatibility to be a MAJOR concern with me and my consoles.

I absolutely dislike the more common getting moves to repay, relicense, rejackshit, etc... Or even worse: not care at all about the old games and let them rot.

Yes, of cause you still can play them on old consoles, but I just don't like this trend at all.

Yes, that's me, no I do not want to elevate my concern and state it's everyone's, but I am really bummed about how things develop and the neglecting of old good games, seeing their impact fade away and generally a trend to care less about maintainability of data integrity.

Prime example: A diary app for iOS with no export options.

Now, without a jailbreak, that's plain horror.

It's literally the pure dependence on the dev maintaining the app till the end of your life and you better keep upgrading your OS along the way, too. No that iDevice will not hold a life long.

Yes, I'm a happy iOS user, but you see, it's important to know which apps to load and choose.

Something that's a "keeper" or its data, better have desktop/at least cloud sync and/or export options in some fashion.

Most apps don't matter, like a train departure app... if it doesn't work anymore... fine, so I will lose my bookmarked stations, but important stuff you better make sure to get apps from sanely minded coders from. (Y)

Now, that point is getting moot more and more, people care less about the future of their data, game saves included...

Makes me sad a little. :/

Glassed Silver:mac

Sooo.... There are people who are disappointed with not having to option to basically.... repay for games they already own instead of keeping their psp and saving themselves some money? wow.

Also, Lol @ the guy who thinks phone games are more satisfying than real games.

• Like 1

Sooo.... There are people who are disappointed with not having to option to basically.... repay for games they already own instead of keeping their psp and saving themselves some money? wow.

Some of the games might have replay value. Having them all on one system would be nice.

We typically follow Europe, so while that doesn't automatically mean we will be getting that it does raise our chances a little higher.

I really don't know what the big deal is though, I mean why would you wanna play your old games on the Vita anyway? Right now you might think it's a good idea but after you've had the Vita for a while and played games made for it, you'll probally not gonna want to touch your PSP games. I know I wouldn't. Anyway I definitely won't be getting a Vita (or a 3DS) as I no longer see the point of dedicated handheld gaming machines (my PSP and DSLite are hardly used now, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere), I'm more then satisfied with gaming on my tablet/phone/iPod touch...I don't see the need for a forth device that will end up on a shelf gathering dust (plus the Vita is not cheap).

Are you making that point based off of the fact PSP game graphics won't be as good as Vita games?

Also, Lol @ the guy who thinks phone games are more satisfying than real games.

Phone games are real games, I really don't see the need for a dedicated gaming device anymore. It's just something extra to carry. If you still like dedicated gaming machines then good for you, doesn't mean people who don't choose to buy them cannot be as satisfied as you. You people really need to get over yourselves.

EDIT: While granted there is alot of crap "games" on phones/tablets but there are some really good games too and they are close (if not equal) in quality to what you might expect in a dedicated handheld device. You got Real Racing (1 + 2) and Infinity Blade (1 + 2) for example which all provide a very good (near handheld) gaming experience. Then there is GTA3 and there are others. Plus you have the quad-core iPad 3 and quad-core Tegra 3 Android tablets this year, all capable of providing handheld gaming system quality and then you have these devices mobile phone counterparts. So if you wanna think a phone/tablet is just Angry Birds and not real competition to a "real" gaming device like the PS Vita, keep living in your dream world.

Some of the games might have replay value. Having them all on one system would be nice.

Are you making that point based off of the fact PSP game graphics won't be as good as Vita games?

Pretty much, if your able to deal with it looking not particularly good (considering it will be running on a much higher resolution screen) then more power to you. I mean I understand a game is more then graphics just personally I don't see the need for backwards compatibility and if I feel like playing one of my older games, much prefer to play it on the system it was intended for. That is just me.

But this isn't about backwards compatibility(specifically), it's about providing the option for one territory but not another. So as far as that is concerned, it is a first.

• Like 1

But this isn't about backwards compatibility(specifically), it's about providing the option for one territory but not another. So as far as that is concerned, it is a first.

A shady first, may I add...

All those region-locks, region-specific decisions that make no sense, etc etc... They have me up in arms with many of my friends who miss out on great games, possibilities to enhance the experience that was obviously designed to be there, but snapped out for <insert costumer annoy reason here>'s sake.

Jesus Christ!

It's a big deal for those who were expecting it. They announced the UMD Passport program back in November. Of course most consumers would assume they plan to do it worldwide.

Phone games are real games, I really don't see the need for a dedicated gaming device anymore. It's just something extra to carry. If you still like dedicated gaming machines then good for you, doesn't mean people who don't choose to buy them cannot be as satisfied as you. You people really need to get over yourselves.

Why cant you have the best of both worlds, gaming on a phone is crap with virtual controls. Smartphone games always have been and always will be console lite experiences, you will never find an Uncharted, Resistance, etc.. on a phone.

Fair enough it is a big deal because it is offered in other territories and not the US, but my thoughts are the same as a few others already have stated. I do not see the need or appeal to play old games on a new system.

At Glassed Silver, seriously are you ****ing kidding me? That is your example to show my logic is flawed? The death of human beings? Seriously? I am really not even going to bother replying to the rest of your post since that is the stellar way you decide to start your reply off other then saying this... We are talking about video games, not the cure for cancer.

I have always personally felt that if people really want to play the older games for whatever reason and relive history or because they are feeling nostalgic, if you can, play them on the older console. Or if you really love those games and they remade them in HD, do yourself the favor and buy the remake so it at least looks halfway decent. I got an N64, Xbox 1, and up until a year ago a PS1 rotting in my basement. I keep them for absolutely no reason. I had one of the launch models of the PS3 that actually did support backwards compatibility, and I played 1 whole game total, and that lasted about 20 minutes as it looked like ass.

Again, I can understand it is a big deal because other territories have the support, it does seem incredibly odd/messed up they would do that. I did not realize this was a previously announced feature and it was taken away at the last minute. So if people were expecting it or looking forward to it, sucks for them, it does. But I absolutely do not think it is a big deal that this hardware, or any other hardware that is released for that matter, would not play older games released on previous generation models. I get why other people would, however this is MY OPINION, and is that not what we are all doing here, sharing our opinion?

i have like 3 games on UMD. While i'd love to have the option to put those on my Vita, i'm certainly not going to pay again for that luxury. no one even knows what the discounted price is going to be. Also, there's a list of some 250 games that are compatible so far. i dont even know if the games i own are on that list or whether Sony will continue to make more games compatible.

for me, i dont need to play those 3 UMD games again. if, in the future, i feel that i need to, i'll bust out my PSP. simple as that.

The whole point of playing PSP games on Vita is so you can use the dual analog sticks.

Another incredibly valid point I did not think of, but that raises the questions will those games even work with the dual analog since they were not created for it?

Or is that why only some games actually are supported? As they had to be "patched" so to speak to work with the dual analog.

But an incredibly valid point that I admit I completely overlooked.

If a game wasn't developed for dual sticks I doubt it will just happen to work with them. Like 3DS games that were released before the circle pad pro probably won't work with it now.

Games could be updated or patched, but I doubt developers would waste their time. Nonetheless, interesting idea.

Another incredibly valid point I did not think of, but that raises the questions will those games even work with the dual analog since they were not created for it?

Or is that why only some games actually are supported? As they had to be "patched" so to speak to work with the dual analog.

But an incredibly valid point that I admit I completely overlooked.

One analog stick might be neglected and the other one might be "dumbed down" to a less precise d pad.

That's not rocket science, as the Vita would detect it's a game not making use of the high precision stick, so it will feed dumbed down info to the game.

If a game wasn't developed for dual sticks I doubt it will just happen to work with them. Like 3DS games that were released before the circle pad pro probably won't work with it now.

Games could be updated or patched, but I doubt developers would waste their time. Nonetheless, interesting idea.

Watch this, you can assign controls to the second analogue