Sorry, Americans, No UMD passport program for you :(

Sony make their own batteries.

But do they develop their own battery technology or do they simply license some other companies technology for their devices? I honestly don't know. It seems a lot of devices now have fairly poor battery life because not a lot of progress has been made in the battery life department.

All the battery tech is Lithium battery's these days. They are the achilles heal in all modern technology, as technology has got exponentially faster/more powerful, while battery tech hasn't kept up.

Putting a cracking OLED display in the Vita was the best Sony could do, as OLED is far more efficient than LCD, and it's why the Vita's battery life seems "greater" than it should for such a large screen/powerful handheld.

If it were an LCD screen like the PSP, who knows, you could maybe dock 30 mins to 1 hour off totals.

Price

No UMD Passport

Lack of games

Questionable build quality from first reports

Poor battery life when not in sleep mode

Is what I have seen from some posting on forums.

Exactly, you don't own one you are just going off of the vocal minority.

This thing cost the same as 3DS when it came out and look at the vastly superior hardware you get for your money, hell even smartphones cost double the price sim free for worse specs, this thing has a quad core cpu and gpu, 5" oled screen, etc..

Other than the PS2 the Vita has the biggest selection of launch titles of any console launch in history, if you want to talk lack of games look at the 3DS.

Questionable build quality? There is nothing loose, rattling, creaking or flexing on this thing, the analogue sticks feel a little loose but the dpad and face buttons are really responsive and you get a nice satisfying click. The OLED screen is gorgeous, I dont have any dead pixels and its super sensitive. The only issues are software issues and no modern console has had a glitch free launch, its all easily upgradable via firmware updates.

As for poor battery life when not in sleep mode, when its not in sleep its playing games, when its playing games the CPU and GPU are running full tilt, with improved specs you have the trade off of poor battery life but 4 hours for a 5" screen with quad core CPU and GPU is very impressive for the size of the machine.

You are just a typical hater, I was sceptical at first, i thought the Vita was going to be really cheap feeling but other than a few software problems I dont have any complaints about it.

Okay, so I've been to a store today and touched and tried the Vita myself and I must say apart from the drawbacks (topic) and the price of the storage cards (OH BOY...), that device is DARN awesome.

I must admit my eyes are a little spoiled by my iPhone's Retina display, so I did feel a little strange towards that, however, it's an absolutely AWESOME display still.

The build quality seems to be solid, no complains there, although I obviously don't have the chance to test it for a longer period of time.

Guys, the Vita is a darn nice device and I'm excited to see how it might develop into an amazing platform (as in, dev support - the device itself seems sweet from the get go already).

Sure that baby has no head start, but boy, the PSP didn't either and it did actually sell not too bad.

PSP's main problem were the titles and I'm eagerly awaiting what the Vita will bring to the table!

So far the use of the touchscreen seems very sensible, apart from the OS not accepting the analog stick etc to navigate the OS menus.

Devs need to keep that in mind and use the touch controls wisely, but I'm sure they will.

I've been quite a big PS fan since PS1 and the Vita lives up to the PS experience and expectations I had.

I might actually really pick one up when they get a little cheaper (say 220? for the 3G version (yes, I know that involves quite some waiting, but having an iPhone for some bus stops and train rides takes away a lot of "ASAP-need" :p))

Glassed Silver:mac

I must admit my eyes are a little spoiled by my iPhone's Retina display, so I did feel a little strange towards that, however, it's an absolutely AWESOME display still.

The Vita display is an OLED 960x544 to keep in line with the PSP screen so it could do 1:1 upscaling, the iPhone has an IPS TFT 960x640 display, not a whole lot of difference IMO.

The Vita display is an OLED 960x544 to keep in line with the PSP screen so it could do 1:1 upscaling, the iPhone has an IPS TFT 960x640 display, not a whole lot of difference IMO.

Oh hell yeah, the pixel density is much better on the iPhone 4(s).

That's what I actually mean.

Then again, the screen on the Vita is absolutely awesome nevertheless.

I'm probably holding it a bit further usually, too, so it's less of a concern with the Vita.

Glassed Silver:mac

Even nintendo allowed you to keep playing your gameboy original games on the Nintendo DS up until they removed the physical slot. The gameboy original came out in 1989 people. 1989. And although they have now ended support for those games you can still play a DS Original game (that came out at the same time as the original PSP I might add) in a current Nintendo 3DS or DS XL or DSi

actually, Nintendo ended support for original Gameboy games with the Gameboy advanced (GBA, GBA SP, and GB micro). the DS and DS lite had support for Gameboy advanced games until the DSi removed the slot.

actually, Nintendo ended support for original Gameboy games with the Gameboy advanced (GBA, GBA SP, and GB micro). the DS and DS lite had support for Gameboy advanced games until the DSi removed the slot.

Eh? I was able to play my original Game Boy games (Tetris, Mario, Pokemon Blue/Red) on my GBA just fine. And on my GBA SP too.

Eh? I was able to play my original Game Boy games (Tetris, Mario, Pokemon Blue/Red) on my GBA just fine. And on my GBA SP too.

sorry i meant that as you could still play original Gameboy games on the GBA, but not on the DS