CyanogenMod - Progress on CM9

It?s been awhile since the last update and I just wanted to let everyone know about our progress with CM9. As I mentioned in the previous update, Android 4.0 contains many internal changes that require updated graphics drivers. Unfortunately, these drivers are almost always closed-source and don?t appear until a device or devkit is released with them. For many devices, our hands are tied. Some very clever workarounds have gone into CM9, but we?re still blocked on some subsystems like the camera.

Since Android 4.0 is such a major change from 2.3, we started with a fresh codebase from Google and have been forward-porting features from CM7 with an eye on design and better integration. This is a somewhat time-consuming process, but it allows us to rethink everything. We?ve eliminated the CMParts app, instead choosing to add our custom features directly into the main settings. We are also taking a ?just works? approach when it comes to configuration- CM7 had too many options that just weren?t widely used. We hope to achieve a good balance between tweakability and a great out-of-the-box experience. I want your phone or tablet to feel like it should have come with CM9.

Currently, you can compile CM9 for a small number of devices- notably the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Wi-Fi and T-Mobile versions), the HP Touchpad and Motorola Xoom. The next devices to show up will likely be a whole array of Samsung phones (Exynos chipset), with devices based on the Qualcomm MSM8660 and 7?30 chipsets to follow. It?s still unclear if we can provide support for the QSD8x50 family of devices (Nexus One, HTC Evo, etc), but the answer almost always turns out to be ?yes? for these kinds of things.

As our hardware support improves, I?ll keep this blog updated. As much as we?d like to stay ahead of the manufacturers, it may be a tie this time icon_smile.gif Thanks for the continued support, and please consider dropping us a buck or two using the link at the bottom of the page if you enjoy CyanogenMod.

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/progress-on-cm9

I am running CM9 Alpha on my Desire, it is absolutely fantastic! I personally have had no issues with save for the extremely rare lockup or app crash.

I'm going to wait until they release a stable version for the Galaxy S2 which will probably be a couple of months down the track. Or maybe next month if the March 1st prediction is correct for ICS.

But I think my next android phone is going to be the Nexus that's being released later in the year (rumor). I hear you get great support and even OTA updates straight from Google