USA People - What Are Your ATM Habits?

We were talking at work about how much cash is in an ATM and figured some must have well over ?20,000. However in researching I found this:

Who withdrawls only 40 bucks? I get $400 from the ATM every time I go, otherwise I'd be going to the ATM every two-three days instead of every two weeks.

This makes me think people hardly use ATMs in the USA?

In the UK I would say it seems silly to spend less than ?10 on a debit/credit card. But I don't walk around with ?400 in my pocket either. I personally don't have more than ?20 around the home in cash. However I would say many people DO visit cash machines every few days to take money out.

What say you Americans?

Once every 4 to 6 weeks. I pull out around $100, and use it on incidentals, places that don't take debit/credit (so very very few these days) and for cash tips to the hairstylist, waiters, etc.

I typically visit the ATM about once every 2 weeks and draw out $60. I take my lunch to work every day and that $60 is enough throughout 2 weeks for incidentals like sodas, snacks and the occasional dining out.

I don't know why anyone would draw out their maximum every time they visit an ATM. Debit/check cards are accepted at 99% of stores and are often faster to use than cash.

• Like 1

In the UK I would say it seems silly to spend less than ?10 on a debit/credit card. But I don't walk around with ?400 in my pocket either. I personally don't have more than ?20 around the home in cash. However I would say many people DO visit cash machines every few days to take money out.

Why would it be silly, do they charge you a fee for usage of your debit/credit card for stuff under 10?

Why would it be silly, do they charge you a fee for usage of your debit/credit card for stuff under 10?

No, but I agree with him. Using a card for anything under ?10 seems silly to me.

I know you weren't asking about Europe, but I'll throw my opinion in. I take out 50 francs every couple of days, but at the same time I buy my breakfast and lunch on the way to work. In the UK I took out ?20 regularly, sometimes multiple times a day depending on what was going on.

I rarely go, only if I need a large amount of cash. Just about every store I visit offers a cash back option, so if I need $20-$40 I just do that. I will never use a ATM machine that does not belong to my bank because I refuse to pay fees for taking out my money.

No, but the credit card companies do charge the shop a fee. If it's local place, and it's something cheap, I try to pay in cash. If I spending $5 at Wallmart or something, then sure, charge it.

I don't know why anyone would draw out their maximum every time they visit an ATM. Debit/check cards are accepted at 99% of stores and are often faster to use than cash.

This exactly. The only time I go to an ATM is if I know I'm going somewhere that only takes cash, or if I need to get a money order.

No, but I agree with him. Using a card for anything under ?10 seems silly to me.

Actually many places will charge you a fee if you spend less than ?10. For instance, most/all off licenses charge up to 50p for purchases less than ?10.

To me it seems silly to use cash at all and I look forward to the day when you can use a card anywhere for any amount without having to worry about vendor charges.

Actually many places will charge you a fee if you spend less than ?10. For instance, most/all off licenses charge up to 50p for purchases less than ?10.

To me it seems silly to use cash at all and I look forward to the day when you can use a card anywhere for any amount without having to worry about vendor charges.

in the US, the "exchange fee" for debit transactions is significantly lower than for credit card transactions (with Amex charging the highest credit card fees). Most businesses that give discounts for paying in cash will give the same discount if you use a debit card instead of a credit card.

Also, I don't use an ATM unless I'm in a bind because the fee is extremely high to withdraw cash (from 3 to 6 or more dollars depending on the arrangement, usually you get a fee from the bank that owns the ATM and another one from your own bank). Many people withdraw cash when they are doing a debit transaction somewhere else (grocery store, Target, barbershops will often give you cash even on a credit card transaction) so they don't have to pay a fee. You can usually take out cash from an ATM owned by your bank or sometimes from a network without a fee, but finding one can be a pain in the ass.

Surprising how different it is over there, I'll regularly use the "hole in the wall" to pull out tenners or twenties when I'd like a bit of cash on me. Usually to avoid the "?5 minimum spend" that a lot of retailers put on card payments.

Before moving in with my girlfriend, I would go to the ATM about once every few months. I have direct-deposit for my paychecks, and I always pay for everything with a credit card when possible. (I pay it off every month, and I get points for every dollar I spend; so it's basically free money) Very rarely would I ever go to the ATM. This set up was nice, since I get charged $3 just for taking money out, no matter where I go; which is complete BS.

Now that I live with my girlfriend and we split bills and groceries, she just gives me cash for her part and I never go to the ATM. I honestly think I haven't used an ATM since last May (when we moved in). In fact, my new debit/ATM card that I got in the mail from the bank has yet to be used. It still has the "call this number if you have problems" sticker on it.

i never really carry cash at all, unless im off out to the pub, i pay for everything on debit card, wether its a loaf of bread at 90p or milk at ?1.20

i find that if i have any cash on me i waste it on things i dont need. even going to the shop i pick up stuff i dont need because i have the money on me :/

so whenever ive been out and had cash as soon as i get home i put all the change in a jar, i regulary bank ?200 from "change" ive saved.

i visit the ATM every 2-3 weeks and take out $100-160. I use cash on small food purchases and liquor. a lot of liquor stores will wont let you pay for it w/ a CC. They'll let you buy beer and wine with a CC, but not liquor. i just use cash when it's a smaller amount, that's all. i have many friends who never carry cash. it's pretty annoying. they think they can pay for everything w/ a CC, but when the time comes, they dont have even $2 to throw my way.

i never really carry cash at all, unless im off out to the pub, i pay for everything on debit card, wether its a loaf of bread at 90p or milk at ?1.20

i find that if i have any cash on me i waste it on things i dont need. even going to the shop i pick up stuff i dont need because i have the money on me :/

so whenever ive been out and had cash as soon as i get home i put all the change in a jar, i regulary bank ?200 from "change" ive saved.

this is what my friends do and it's freaking annoying. as soon as youre together and need a couple bucks to cover something - "oh, sorry man, i dont have any cash" AT LEAST carry some ones or a ten spot.

i visit the ATM every 2-3 weeks and take out $100-160. I use cash on small food purchases and liquor. a lot of liquor stores will wont let you pay for it w/ a CC. They'll let you buy beer and wine with a CC, but not liquor. i just use cash when it's a smaller amount, that's all. i have many friends who never carry cash. it's pretty annoying. they think they can pay for everything w/ a CC, but when the time comes, they dont have even $2 to throw my way.

this is what my friends do and it's freaking annoying. as soon as youre together and need a couple bucks to cover something - "oh, sorry man, i dont have any cash" AT LEAST carry some ones or a ten spot.

annoying? why because i dont have cash on me to lend other people? how is that annoying?

Some places charge for using credit cards, but do you have chip and pin in the US?

Cash is usually faster but I guess spending less than a few pounds on a card just seems silly.

I just find it really interesting how different it is.

I almost never use cash. Everything goes on my debit card. The only time I stop is if I know I need cash (borrowed from a friend, going to a place I know only accepts cash, ect.) Usually then I'll only take out what I need, and if it's only $10, then that's all I'll get. (I know one ATM around here you can withdraw only a dollar if you wish).

I used my ATM Debit Card to make most of my purchases at the point-of-sale so I rarely visit an actual atm for anything other than a balance inquiry if I think my balance spreadsheet is out of alignment for some reason. If I do withdraw, it is usually only $20-40 and maybe once a month.

I take out about $50 every two weeks, mostly used for settling a bill with a group of people when we don't want to split the bill up 5+ ways. I use a credit card for everything to get cash back - Chase pays me around $400-$500 a year just for using their card. Not sure why anyone would ever use a debit card (unless credit is not accepted of course)...

This (Y) Cash just seems so much easier to spend. I think it's because I look at my bank statements frequently and know how much I have in the bank, and cash seems like 'extra' that doesn't count in that number. I always think about it when I pull out the debit/credit card (I use credit in some situations, it's better protected than the debit card if the number were to get swiped somehow, but I always pay off the balance at the end of the month so it's coming from the same place essentially).

That being said, I do usually try to keep a few dollars around in case someone needs to borrow, or in case I randomly decide to stop at Starbucks or something--but that's very infrequent, I make coffee at home or we have a nice Keurig maker at work so I rarely have to buy it.