House Built From Shipping Containers is High Tech Chic

Architect Patrick Partouche has designed Maison Container Lille, a 2100 square foot house built entirely from eight shipping containers. That would be interesting on its own; He has left them in a really rough and ready form with the original doors left on, acting as brise soleil or can be closed for security. It is also another good example of how architects can subvert building regulations; I suspect that sloping roofs are a requirement.

The interior design was described in High Tech, the book by Susan Slesin and Joan Kron. Everything was made out of checker plate and exposed conduit and Metro wire. The Partouche container house is the embodiment of this style, which works perfectly with the aesthetic of shipping containers.

It's all here; the exposed industrial duct, the wiring, the only thing that is missing is the open Metro wire shelving and industrial slop sink faucets in the kitchen. The architect says that "The interior styling is in line with the customers: a contemporary industrial style, the choice of quality materials and authentic: painted steel, galvanized, painted, varnished, aluminum, wood, polycarbonate, glass and other industrial materials."

source & more pics

post-37120-0-13223700-1328972066.jpg

post-37120-0-03603100-1328972075.jpg

sad part is you could probably build a house (to code) for half the standard price if you were allowed to use alternative materials.

I'd have lots of neat colors in the house. I can make a windows 8 house out of shipping containers and have a different color for each room and have the start screen to match the room colors. that would be cool.