Weather Control  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Is Weather Control a Good Idea?

• Ultimately... Yes.
    • It is... if managed correctly.
    • I'm not sure.
    • We should't interfere with nature.

Is weather control a good idea?

While I was walking to work in the cold weather that has gripped the UK for the past couple of weeks, I was thinking that I could endure the cold weather as I do enjoy snow but I'd prefer to know when it is going to end.

I know we can control the weather to an extent already but I mean Red Alert 2 / The Truman Show sort of control. There obvious advantages (Monday sunny, Tuesday windy, Wendesday raining, Thursday warm, Friday hot...) but there's obvious disadvantages too.

I guess it would depend how much we control it. If there's droughts then we could create rain. Or would we control all of the weather (IE, when it is hot, when it is raining or snowing).

What are your thoughts?

Weather can't be controlled, you're talking about video game fantasy. Don't mess with mother nature!

If what you're saying was possible, then why not stop Tsunami from hitting Japan, or Hurricanes destroying America, saving many lives. It's not possible.

Mr Spoon I am going to hijack your thread for 1 sec and ask a question :p

Since we are on the subject of weather, has any nation ever try shooting a missle into a tornado to disperse it?

When done responsibly it can be very good.

Example: flooded regions don't need even more rain, Fukushima back then was lucky to have a lot of wind from the West, etc...

Also: BAN WINTER!!!! :p

Glassed Silver:mac

Weather manipulation has been going on for quite a while now. Cloud seeding has been used to cause cloud formation and thus rain.

However, the scale that you imagine is quite vast. I'm sure sometime in the future we will and should have a grasp of such technology to advert disasters like tsnumais and hurricanes. It would be a very useful tool to have and the potential savings vs damage done could be vast.

I'm all for it.

No. The weather cannot be controlled. Don't be so ridiculous.

If the weather can be controlled. How do they create wind.

Please do at least some research before making such naive and conclusive remarks. The weather can indeed be controlled to varying degrees. For example, by releasing aluminum oxide and polymer fibers into the atmosphere, this creates an artificial sunscreen to reflect solar radiation back into space - Ken Caldeira, a scientist at Lawrence Livermore Labs and one of the country's leading experts on weather modification, conducted the original computer modeling for the use of aluminum oxide to fight global warming. He told Columbus Alive, "We originally did this study to show that this program [using massive spraying for weather modification] shouldn't be done," due to negative health effects. The HAARP facility has been conducting test for years by beaming gigawatts of radiated power into the ionosphere (the electrically charged layer above Earth's atmosphere), after heating and disturbing the ionosphere, the radiations will bounce back onto the earth in for form of long waves. Although I don't condone these kind of tests, to say weather manipulation is not possible is plain stupid.

Please do at least some research before making such naive and conclusive remarks. The weather can indeed be controlled to varying degrees. For example, by releasing aluminum oxide and polymer fibers into the atmosphere, this creates an artificial sunscreen to reflect solar radiation back into space - Ken Caldeira, a scientist at Lawrence Livermore Labs and one of the country's leading experts on weather modification, conducted the original computer modeling for the use of aluminum oxide to fight global warming. He told Columbus Alive, "We originally did this study to show that this program [using massive spraying for weather modification] shouldn't be done," due to negative health effects. The HAARP facility has been conducting test for years by beaming gigawatts of radiated power into the ionosphere (the electrically charged layer above Earth's atmosphere), after heating and disturbing the ionosphere, the radiations will bounce back onto the earth in for form of long waves. Although I don't condone these kind of tests, to say weather manipulation is not possible is plain stupid.

Source?

uh uh no no no touchy! I think they're tryinna make more rain for taxas but the east is having problems with temperature fluctations... it's hot and cold like that katy perry song. it's annoying. it's making everyone sicky icky.

In closed, controlled environments? Yes.

On a global scale? No.

For example, if you were to manipulate the weather to make more rain for crops, it would very likely have negative consequences somewhere else, or change the ecosystem in an unnatural way thereby endangering even more species.

Isn't weather manipulation already used, for the olympics and other similar events? Cloud seeding, hurricane modification etc. as far as I'm aware has all been done before. With varying degrees of success, I think some of the experiments proposed in relation to hurricane modification were actually banned. (E.g. pouring liquid nitrogen into the sea, lol)

No. The weather cannot be controlled. Don't be so ridiculous.

If the weather can be controlled. How do they create wind.

By building very large fans.

• Like 1