Foxconn under inspection by the FLA, Apple's request

At Apple's request, the Fair Labor Association (FLA) will begin conducting audits of the company's assembly suppliers, including Foxconn factories in Shenzhen and Chengdu, China. The first inspections began this Monday morning, led by FLA president Auret van Heerden, at the facility known as Foxconn City in Shenzhen. Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a statement that "we believe that workers everywhere have the right to a safe and fair work environment, which is why we've asked the FLA to independently assess the performance of our largest suppliers."

This investigation comes after several weeks of intense scrutiny from the media and public on labor practices at Foxconn; Cook had previously expressed "outrage" over a New York Times report on worker conditions in China and had vowed not to "turn a blind eye to problems in our supply chain." Of course, this is just the latest round of scrutiny that Foxconn and Apple have come under ? the media has been reporting on suicides and other poor working conditions at Foxconn over the last several years, but it's good to see Apple taking steps to address these issues. The FLA will be turning around a report fairly quickly, with initial findings and recommendations planned for release on its website in early March. Foxconn isn't the only factory under scrutiny, as well: more inspections will be conducted at Quanta and Pegatron facilities later in the spring. When all is said and done, the FLA will have reviewed more than 90 percent of Apple's manufacturing facilities ? the question now is what will Apple change in response to these reports.

http://www.theverge....-association-at

More PR

I'm sure Samsung, Microsoft etc. do everything from the goodness of their hearts.

It doesn't matter if it's PR or not, if it makes a difference.

I'm sure Samsung, Microsoft etc. do everything from the goodness of their hearts.

It doesn't matter if it's PR or not, if it makes a difference.

The point is.. they do the fluff and PR statements but in essence don't give a crap and as soon as the media dust settles they'll keep doing things they were before.

There are ZERO reasons to believe that they REALLY want to change anything considering their track record and business practices.

They can pressure Foxconn much stronger than any organization. With money.

Just like they are doing to prevent competition like ASUS with their manufacturers. That's why it's PR.

if you hate them so much WHY do you buy there stuff ?

Because Foxconn doesn't just make Apple products. Here's the major customers, and chances are you own products from at least two of them right now. If your computer is running an intel chip, might consider throwing it out and using AMD instead.

So my point is, it's realistically not possible to avoid using the products we need or enjoy. But it is depressing to a see companies making billions in profits not able to sacrifice just a few million on improving labor conditions and enforce wage payment to employees.

Because Foxconn doesn't just make Apple products. Here's the major customers, and chances are you own products from at least two of them right now. If your computer is running an intel chip, might consider throwing it out and using AMD instead.

So my point is, it's realistically not possible to avoid using the products we need or enjoy. But it is depressing to a see companies making billions in profits not able to sacrifice just a few million on improving labor conditions and enforce wage payment to employees.

i was talking about the apple products he owns since he is a MAJOR apple hater lol

The point is.. they do the fluff and PR statements but in essence don't give a crap and as soon as the media dust settles they'll keep doing things they were before.

There are ZERO reasons to believe that they REALLY want to change anything considering their track record and business practices.

They can pressure Foxconn much stronger than any organization. With money.

Just like they are doing to prevent competition like ASUS with their manufacturers. That's why it's PR.

Did Microsoft Request it,,, no

Did Google for their phone or any other Android Phone ( yes its made @ foxconn ) ,,, no

Did ANY other company request it,,, no

Because they dont care, so yes its a PR thing, but i dont see Microsoft or Google requesting crap or even a comment regarding their Foxconn arangements

out of necessity not because I want to

Really, you need to buy Apple products? Why is that? Do they make no operating systems for other platforms? No hardware? No other mobile phones?

Either way, if it comes out in apples favor, people will call it a lie

If its bad for apple, people will bing it up ONLY for apple, ignoring every other device they make for other companies.

Really, you need to buy Apple products? Why is that? Do they make no operating systems for other platforms? No hardware? No other mobile phones?

Acording to his company blog he owns, he used to own an iphone up untill around middle of last year, and posted he hated to see it go... Hes only bashing apple cause its the new thing to do

Hell he even did a web based Apple UI for some show.. Hes an a**hat that just wants to fit in with his friends

Did Microsoft Request it,,, no

Did Google for their phone or any other Android Phone ( yes its made @ foxconn ) ,,, no

Did ANY other company request it,,, no

Because they dont care, so yes its a PR thing, but i dont see Microsoft or Google requesting crap or even a comment regarding their Foxconn arangements

Each company has its own set of rules and audits that are conducted. Maybe other companies audits/rules are working and there is no need for anything else. Who knows...I do know that MS resolved their last issue relatively quick as well as Samsung,

No other tech company is apart of the FLA cent Apple and I am betting Apple only joined the FLA because of all the bad PR they have been getting. And they had a dick CEO in command for a looong time that didnt give 2 cents about anything but destroying Android. Never the less, its a good move on Apple's part.

Either way, if it comes out in apples favor, people will call it a lie

If its bad for apple, people will bing it up ONLY for apple, ignoring every other device they make for other companies.

Acording to his company blog he owns, he used to own an iphone up untill around middle of last year, and posted he hated to see it go... Hes only bashing apple cause its the new thing to do

Hell he even did a web based Apple UI for some show.. Hes an a**hat that just wants to fit in with his friends

I dislike Apple as much as the next person. Sometimes, since a lot of us work in the tech field, we have to use and buy equipment we dont really want to have or really like. I own an iPod and have worked on Macs/iPhones/iPads many of times but I dont like Apple that much. Its called staying current in the tech field.

Each company has its own set of rules and audits that are conducted. Maybe other companies audits/rules are working and there is no need for anything else. Who knows...I do know that MS resolved their last issue relatively quick as well as Samsung,

No other tech company is apart of the FLA cent Apple and I am betting Apple only joined the FLA because of all the bad PR they have been getting. And they had a dick CEO in command for a looong time that didnt give 2 cents about anything but destroying Android. Never the less, its a good move on Apple's part.

Agreed, but also on same token, Microsoft and Google are not FLA. as well as a host of other companies that foxconn makes stuff for. Acording to FLA website there isnt that many companies that are FLA, but there are shurley other FLA like org's that i havent a clue about ( like FLA before today )

I dislike Apple as much as the next person. Sometimes, since a lot of us work in the tech field, we have to use and buy equipment we dont really want to have or really like. I own an iPod and have worked on Macs/iPhones/iPads many of times but I dont like Apple that much. Its called staying current in the tech field.

No staying current is at the least reading up on it, knowing how it does what it does, owning and hating giving it up, is not " staying current "? And " because i have to " is biggest lie beside " i have read and agreed to these terms "

But on same token, you dont blindly bash company A for no reason and look otherway/ignore when your fav company of the month ( figure of speech ) does the same thing, while still bashing company A for same reasons, as far as iv read on your posts.

And i dont remember you bashing people for their likes either, but could be wrong, your not as blatently obvious as boz, sorry

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, the people are treated horribly (the management, lack of meal breaks, living and working conditions, the breaking of the law by various suppliers in the supply chain such as using 'nerve toxin' to clean iPhone/iPad Touch screens because it dried quicker) even if the pay were inline with the cost of living over there but what annoys me are the number of people who hate on Apple but ignore the fact that HP, Dell, IBM, Lenovo, Acer etc use them. What is also amazing is how people hate on Foxconn and yet the other major assembler that Apple uses, Quanta Computing, hasn't had any issues so far which is where my iMac, MacBook Pro and Mac mini were all assembled.

Also, lets get one thing straight - the shareholders have the ability to tell Apple (both individual and institutional) to sacrifice some margins for the sake of improved working conditions - they could do that but it is easier for these shareholders to play the "I feel sorry for the workers" whilst banging their fist demanding forever higher and higher returns.