Free domain transfer in?

Hi, not sure which forum this should go in but seems the closest.

I'm sure last year I was able to transfer my .com to a new registrar for free, that is not extending another year just change registrar.

Now everywhere advertises $9 transfer with free 1yr extension ie just a renewal with them.

Does anywhere accept transfers in for free without renewing at the same time?

Anyone? Pretty sure this used to be standard practise a year or so ago. Don't want to renew, just transfer registrar.

Although, of course, I'm always open to links to cheap renewals :)

Nope, free transfers can't happen with a .com, they must be renewed at the same time. The cheapest place I've found for .com is Namecheap, they've always got coupon codes going around too.

yeah don't see how you could do a free transfer -- what would they gain?? But when I moved from godday because of sopa I moved to namecheap and got an extra year and private registration for 6.99 with coupon for the 3 domains I moved (6.99 each). Can't beat that.

They gain your account and likely your money when it's time to renew. I just want one to transfer my.com to and so I can return to my current host and get another free 1yr extension :)

Looks like namecheap with a 10% code is the best atm.

"They gain your account and likely your money when it's time to renew"

Where is there any company that gives you FREE transfer -- that is ONE risky move.. Better hope they transfer and stay with you, or like you said

"so I can return to my current host and get another free 1yr extension"

They will just leave when its time to pay. I honestly can not see how any company could do such a thing and be in business for very long.

Pretty sure there are a couple of places where you can get your domain hosted for free...lmgtfy....thousands! Because the tiny cost pays off with a small percentage paying. Have your read The Price of Free? Many sites work like this, flickr maker money if you upgrade. It's very simple.

Who is talking about hosting -- we are talking about REGISTRATION of a domain name. Please point to somwhere that lets me register a FREE mydomainname.com

No I am not talking about a company letting your register a domain name after you give the $100 for hosting the domain there.

We're not talking about registration, that's the entire point.

Technically most do free transfers but you must also extend for 1yr at a fee, now you can debate which part is free and paid for but I'm not talking about that. I'm not talking about registering, either, just transferring registration: no new registration fee.

Anyway, thanks for the posts, arguing about this is pointless so I'll go with namesilo couponed down to $4.85, thanks all!

----- The End ------

"Technically most do free transfers but you must also extend for 1yr at a fee"

There is no debate here -- there is a FEE, be it you are paying for the transfer or the year extension. There is NO company that would stay in business long if they let you "transfer" your domain "registration" to them for FREE and added a year to how long the name would be valid.

Why would I stay there and give them $ after the free year is up, I would just move it to some other domain that gives a discount on transfer that makes the cost less than staying with them.

Which is exactly what your doing ;) Your moving your domain because its cheaper then paying the normal cost of staying with current registrar. So if this company let you move to them for free and added a year. Why would you then pay them $9 for the next year when you could move it to registrarX for 6.99

Which is my whole point!

*sigh*

"Technically most do free transfers but you must also extend for 1yr at a fee"

There is no debate here -- there is a FEE, be it you are paying for the transfer or the year extension. There is NO company that would stay in business long if they let you "transfer" your domain "registration" to them for FREE and added a year to how long the name would be valid.

Agreed. That's not what I'm after.

Why would I stay there and give them $ after the free year is up, I would just move it to some other domain that gives a discount on transfer that makes the cost less than staying with them.

I wouldn't, it's a free market, and I'll happily pay for a new years registration fee for another year, as indeed I have paid for this year. That's not what I'm after.

Your moving your domain because its cheaper then paying the normal cost of staying with current registrar.

Correct.

So if this company let you move to them for free and added a year. Why would you then pay them $9 for the next year when you could move it to registrarX for 6.99

My italics, again, highlighting what I'm not searching for.

Which is my whole point!

That's fine, and I agree with your points, but they relate to a different - unprofitable (yet not unofferable. Think free samples etc.) - point, that of free (re)registration . Sadly, that's also not what I'm after.

The idea that a company offering something for free cannot stay in business is laughable. Indeed, this is how many businesses break into markets. I wasn't clear that I didn't want a registration, just a transfer of previously-paid-for registrations so I can manage them all at one company. I wasn't aware this wasn't possible and thought it was as it would have no registration/ICANN cost to the company.

Finally, a company can stay in business offering free extensions to domains. The company doing this for me according to Wiki has over 5 million domains and and '08 revenue of over $30m. But I take your points :) and thanks for posting.