OS X Mountain Lion Discussion

Please someone who downloaded the beta... share that new galaxy wallpaper :)

edit: I mean who downloaded the developer preview

So far from what I have seen, I don't think this would cause Windows team to lose any sleep.

Its just an an upgrade, despite what many analysts are calling it, such as those at Bloomberg. Calling it 'Apple's answer to Windows 8'.

It certainly is not.

Beyond slapping on Metro, what makes Windows 8 so spectacular? So far there's is little there that's actually of interest to people who use a desktop or notebook PC without touch screen.

I agree though, at this point OS X Mountain Lion seems nothing more than an app expansion pack. :/ I'm guessing there will be more.

i mean, OS X has been around forever now...

So has Windows NT. I'm guessing you want something redesigned for the sake of being redesigned?

• Like 1

All i do know is it looks like they're already running out of names. Leopard -> Snow Leopard, Lion -> Mountain Lion.

Although considering that Puma, Panther and Mountain Lion are essentially the same cat, they'll have to call 10.9 OS X Cougar. Rawwwr.

Mac OS XI - Flying Spaghetti Monster

Operating Systems are looking rubbish at the moment. Nothing new really is being invented.

Windows 8 -> Tablets/Touch Screen. Metro

Mountain Lion -> Some apps we made from iOS

Ubuntu -> Lets move the menu bar! (OSX)

I think companies are running out of ideas and names.

You know you've ran out of ideas when Notes and Reminders become major selling points of your new OS upgrade.

Game Center might not be so bad but it'll probably just lead to even more shoddy iOS ports in the App Store. Gameloft will love this.

All in all it looks like the predicted further iPodification of the Mac.

• Like 4

what happens when apple reaches v11? you think it's going to be a ground-up redesign? i mean, OS X has been around forever now...

My guess is it'll mark the complete merger with iOS and be called something completely new. Even now almost no one calles the system Mac OS, it's just OS X.

Game Center might not be so bad but it'll probably just lead to even more shoddy iOS ports in the App Store. Gameloft will love this.

People used to complain there was no games on OSX.... This is a first step in showing the big guys that OSX is a viable platform for games (they're all paying attention to iOS right now, so lets tell them that OSX matters too!)
  • Like 1

Beyond slapping on Metro, what makes Windows 8 so spectacular? So far there's is little there that's actually of interest to people who use a desktop or notebook PC without touch screen.

They have the hooks for apps to talk to each other. The facebook app can talk to the flickr app, which can talk to the Powerpoint app, and all share pictures seemlessly. Plus Skydrive integration across the OS.
  • Like 1

All i do know is it looks like they're already running out of names. Leopard -> Snow Leopard, Lion -> Mountain Lion.

It actually makes sense. Remember Snow Leopard? Even though a lot had changed under the hood, from an end user point of view it was a small update compared to Leopard. Then came Lion which spotted the big changes. Now you get Mountain Lion which is a smaller update again.

Operating Systems are looking rubbish at the moment. Nothing new really is being invented.

Windows 8 -> Tablets/Touch Screen. Metro

Mountain Lion -> Some apps we made from iOS

Ubuntu -> Lets move the menu bar! (OSX)

I think companies are running out of ideas and names.

I've said the exact same thing multiple times before. It's like both Apple and Microsoft don't really know what to do with their OSs anymore. Both Windows 7 and OS X Snow Leopard were just plain boring from an end-user point of view. Then came Lion which took huge cues after iOS and OS X Mountain Lion will take it even further. Even though the Windows fanboys don't want to admit it Microsoft is going in the exact same direction by turning Windows into Windows Phone, although a bit too extreme for my tastes. :/

So has Windows NT. I'm guessing you want something redesigned for the sake of being redesigned?

you missed my point. it was just a hypothetical question. apple will inevitably move to v11 (10.7, .8, .9, 11) so what do you think theyre going to do?

you missed my point. it was just a hypothetical question. apple will inevitably move to v11 (10.7, .8, .9, 11) so what do you think theyre going to do?

Complete merger between iOS and Mac OS X. But I really don't see it happening before they made touch screen work on the desktop. Maybe by introducing a keyboard that's actually a second screen.

Safari has a unified address/search bar like Chrome!!! Damn, That's me switching back.

Yeah, it was about time ! I always kept Safari because I think there is nothing better on the Mac yet that is so native, so fast, but that Search Bar separated with Address bar left me rather surprised about the move.

The timing for OS X Mountain Lion will be perfect for the release of Windows 8. Microsoft did not expect that. While even a few Microsoft fanboys are scared about Windows 8, you will see OS X? market share go up a lot.

It actually makes sense. Remember Snow Leopard? Even though a lot had changed under the hood, from an end user point of view it was a small update compared to Leopard. Then came Lion which spotted the big changes. Now you get Mountain Lion which is a smaller update again.

I guess. But this seems to be happening a lot quicker that the Leopard to Snow Leopard "update". Though I could be wrong as I skipped Leopard. By the time I moved from a G3 to Intel, Snow was at 10.6.2 so I went with that.

Anyway, I took a look at my iPod so I can how reveal (exclusively!) the exciting new features coming in OS X 10.9 Cougar:

Camera

Maps

Stocks

Weather

And maybe, if you're lucky, iBooks.

Windows had what? Not too sure what your point is troll...

People send me messages through WLM, on my Windows Phone, PC seamlessly, FREE since Windows Phone 7.5Oh... and I forgot. Facebook Users Too. It's good to see Apple users getting it too.So yes, iMessage, some iOS apps more and there you go, summer 2012. So exciting.On the other side, Windows 8/WP8 is about to push all these further more.

Messages actually replaced iChat but using it together with Facebook chat is a bit awkward. Not a fan of the interface at all... :/

Never mind, figured out you don't have to have the old iChat style buddies window visible to add contacts.

Much of Mountain Lion seems to be related to your iPad and/or iPhone and syncing. Well, I have no iPhone and have no need for one really. I love my Android and have no intention on switching. I'd love an iPad, but I can't afford one at the moment and it'll be a while before i ever get one.

Seems an upgrade to Mountain Lion isn't really necessary for someone like me.

• Like 2