Messages actually replaced iChat but using it together with Facebook chat is a bit awkward. Not a fan of the interface at all...
Never mind, figured out you don't have to have the old iChat style buddies window visible to add contacts.
There’s a LOT of annoyances in Messages, but it’s a step forward.
- It doesn’t link my iMessage account to the one on my cellphone. For a moment, I was thinking "if both are related to iCloud, they can be synchronized", but it’s not what’s happening there. My cellphone is linked to my phone number and Messages is linked to my iCloud. So I will appear like a new user to everyone if I use Message.
- Also, since there is no name in the conversation but only bubbles, when copying discussions, the names won’t appear when you paste them. You have to add them manually.
- The app in fullscreen doesn’t take all the width of the screen, and you cannot adjust it like Safari. It reminds me of FaceTime, which had this awkward user interface.
- FaceTime remains installed. Messages should have it integrated completely.
- If they’re serious about Facebook integration, it shouldn’t be a Jabber account anymore. They really need to dumb this down, because most people won’t know they can search for all the settings on the Facebook website to know what to type in the Jabber fields.
- Not possible to filter on only people who have iMessage (I didn’t find out how).