OS X Mountain Lion Discussion

os x 10.8 mountain lion

• Please log in to reply
1424 replies to this topic

#46 manosdoc

manosdoc

Neowinian

Posted 16 February 2012 - 15:32

Windows had what? Not too sure what your point is troll...

People send me messages through WLM, on my Windows Phone, PC seamlessly, FREE since Windows Phone 7.5Oh... and I forgot. Facebook Users Too. It's good to see Apple users getting it too.So yes, iMessage, some iOS apps more and there you go, summer 2012. So exciting.On the other side, Windows 8/WP8 is about to push all these further more.

#47 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 16 February 2012 - 15:34

Gatekeeper ftl.

#48 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 16 February 2012 - 15:36

Messages actually replaced iChat but using it together with Facebook chat is a bit awkward. Not a fan of the interface at all... :/

Never mind, figured out you don't have to have the old iChat style buddies window visible to add contacts.

#49 UncleSpellbinder

UncleSpellbinder

My Spine Is The Bassline

Posted 16 February 2012 - 15:47

Much of Mountain Lion seems to be related to your iPad and/or iPhone and syncing. Well, I have no iPhone and have no need for one really. I love my Android and have no intention on switching. I'd love an iPad, but I can't afford one at the moment and it'll be a while before i ever get one.

Seems an upgrade to Mountain Lion isn't really necessary for someone like me.

#50 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 16 February 2012 - 15:47

Apple officially changed the name Mac OS X to OS X.

http://www.blogcdn.c...review13800.jpg

Not sure how they made those screen shots but everything looks a bit screwed up.

#51 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 16 February 2012 - 15:50

Beyond slapping on Metro, what makes Windows 8 so spectacular? So far there's is little there that's actually of interest to people who use a desktop or notebook PC without touch screen.

Well Metro isn't slapped but is replacing the old UI which is still a much radical change compared to what Apple has said so far (I am sure there are some under the hood changes which may not be glossy enough for PR). There are a bunch of performance and non-metro UI update in Win8 that I am sure you are aware of.

Messages actually replaced iChat but using it together with Facebook chat is a bit awkward. Not a fan of the interface at all... :/
Never mind, figured out you don't have to have the old iChat style buddies window visible to add contacts.

Frankly, I don't know why Apple is even bothering with building its own IM network :/ just open up to everyone use XMPP (i.e. update iChat). Connect to facebook, twitter, gtalk etc.

#52 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 16 February 2012 - 15:52

If they keep the price point of the last 2 OS updates, I'll be sold. I really don't mind spending $35 for a handful of new features.

Sucks for the Growl developers that OS X will now include notifications :(. I think Apple shouldn't do this to developers, but it isn't just them, Microsoft does the same thing. Your software becomes obsolete once it is a standard OS feature. Both an honor and a shame.

#53 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 16 February 2012 - 15:54

Is this the first time Apple has released info on upcoming OS X release without much fanfare? :/ Not to mention a public "beta/preview". I think both might be a first for Apple.
(not to mention the curious timing :p)

#54 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 16 February 2012 - 15:55

Sucks for the Growl developers that OS X will now include notifications :(.

I thought that straight away :p

#55 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 February 2012 - 15:57

There’s a LOT of annoyances in Messages, but it’s a step forward.

- It doesn’t link my iMessage account to the one on my cellphone. For a moment, I was thinking "if both are related to iCloud, they can be synchronized", but it’s not what’s happening there. My cellphone is linked to my phone number and Messages is linked to my iCloud. So I will appear like a new user to everyone if I use Message.
- Also, since there is no name in the conversation but only bubbles, when copying discussions, the names won’t appear when you paste them. You have to add them manually.
- The app in fullscreen doesn’t take all the width of the screen, and you cannot adjust it like Safari. It reminds me of FaceTime, which had this awkward user interface.
- FaceTime remains installed. Messages should have it integrated completely.
- If they’re serious about Facebook integration, it shouldn’t be a Jabber account anymore. They really need to dumb this down, because most people won’t know they can search for all the settings on the Facebook website to know what to type in the Jabber fields.
- Not possible to filter on only people who have iMessage (I didn’t find out how).

#56 kizzaaa

kizzaaa

Alumni

Posted 16 February 2012 - 15:58

Very pleased to hear about this... Lion feels too much like a Vista.

#57 Shane Ekanayake

Shane Ekanayake

Neowinian

Posted 16 February 2012 - 15:58

wow. its new apple mac os x.its sooo magical :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

#58 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 February 2012 - 15:59

I thought that straight away :p

Yeah, kinda makes me sad for having given them a dollar when I could have stayed perfectly with the old version. The animation for new popups in Mountain Lion is not subtle enough though, it will be extremely annoying over time. And I also preferred the Smoke theme in Growl than this non-subtle gray popup window. Oh well, I may keep Growl for a while in the end :)

#59 protocol7

protocol7

It's Fumbles. It was always Fumbles.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 16:00

Is this the first time Apple has released info on upcoming OS X release without much fanfare? :/ Not to mention a public "beta/preview". I think both might be a first for Apple. (not to mention the curious timing :p)

It's only the second time they've publicly released a beta. OS X originally had one back in 2000 but you had to buy it.

As for the lack of fanfare, there doesn't seem to be anything to get excited about so far.

Actually scratch that first bit. Mountain Lion isn't a public beta. It's only accessible to developers.

#60 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 16 February 2012 - 16:02

Considering that I use iMessages on my iPhone every day this is really neat. I like the notification centre, reminders and calendar integration too.

I wonder if Siri will make it in to the final version as a "one last thing" ?