#91 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:04

[/left][/font][/color]

http://techcrunch.co...-mountain-lion/

Ah, I see. Oh well.

Honestly though, I don't know a Mac developer that doesn't pay to be part of the Mac Developer Program anyway.

#92 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:11

Well, the notifications are pretty much the same. The thing that makes Mountain Lion's notifications better, in my opinion, is the actual Notification Center. Way better than the "history" you get from Growl.

That's my main gripe with Growl, so this might be a better solution :D

Actually....no. When we made Vista we stripped out just about everything from NT and buit it back up from the ground. I am not saying that VISTA was awesome because it sucked. NT as a base code hasn't been used in years.

Sorry to disappoint but Vista and 7 are very much still based on NT lol

#93 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:15

Ah, I see. Oh well.

Honestly though, I don't know a Mac developer that doesn't pay to be part of the Mac Developer Program anyway.

Yeah. I don't think the number of people who develop Mac apps and have a user base they need to support that aren't already paying memebers of the Developer Program is very big.

#94 El Marto

El Marto

Serial Lurker

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:15

Ah, I see. Oh well.

Agreed. Cant see why any dev wouldnt be part of the Mac Dev Program as it stands.

#95 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:18

Agreed. Cant see why any dev wouldnt be part of the Mac Dev Program as it stands.

I guess some people might not want to pay 30% to Apple (for whatever reason). They still have an option though unlike Windows 8. :p

#96 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:22

I guess some people might not want to pay 30% to Apple (for whatever reason). They still have an option though unlike Windows 8. :p

Being a part of the Developer Program and being able to digitally sign apps does not mean giving 30% to Apple. It just means paying $99/year to be a registered Developer.

Only if you sell your app through the App Store do you have to give Apple 30% (of what you make in the App Store).

If you are a registered Developer you can still sell your app outside the App Store, and then you do not owe Apple 30%. Nor do you have to follow any of the App Store restrictions or guidelines. You just can't make malware or your certificate will be pulled.

#97 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:23

Well, that's the nice thing about this Developer Certificate thing. You get Apple's blessing (and the security and user peace-of-mind that comes with that), but you don't have to play by all of the App Store's rules or give Apple a 30% cut.

#98 ybrett23

ybrett23

Neowinian

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:26

Hey guys, Loving OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion preview.. but there is a couple of things bugging me,

1. How can I mirror my iPhone to my macbook?
Is This even possible? airplay is for mirroring the mac to apple tv as far as im aware

#99 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:27

Is This even possible? airplay is for mirroring the mac to apple tv as far as im aware

Nah, it's not possible with Mountain Lion's built-in functionality. The Mac isn't supposed to be an AirPlay receiver, much to the chagrin of the people that use Mac Minis as media centers.

#100 ybrett23

ybrett23

Neowinian

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:31

yer sorry bout that elliot i was quoting

Hey guys, Loving OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion preview.. but there is a couple of things bugging me,

2. Does anyone know how to disable gestures in safari? seems like they went all out with the trackpad gestures this time.. and it's completely stopped my better touch tool tweaks.
3. Still no HDPI for higher resolutions?

iphone cannot be mirrored to mac, unless of cause you have some software installed on them both :/

#101 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:31

Well, that's the nice thing about this Developer Certificate thing. You get Apple's blessing (and the security and user peace-of-mind that comes with that), but you don't have to play by all of the App Store's rules or give Apple a 30% cut.

That's true :blush: I forgot that. I guess if a developer doesn't like Growl or wants to use things like iCloud or notification center, then only they are "forced" otherwise it's a fair game.

#102 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:35

Yeah, it was about time ! I always kept Safari because I think there is nothing better on the Mac yet that is so native, so fast, but that Search Bar separated with Address bar left me rather surprised about the move.

The timing for OS X Mountain Lion will be perfect for the release of Windows 8. Microsoft did not expect that. While even a few Microsoft fanboys are scared about Windows 8, you will see OS X’ market share go up a lot.

Doubtful. Both Linux and Mac OS X do not have any real significant market share, and I can't see Mountain Lion changing that at all.

Actually, I wouldn't use NT in that comparison since it is extremely out of support coverage and almost no one is using it. The better usage would be Vista since the engine that Vista/Server 2008 was built on is competely different than NT. It is the same as 8 in that it is just a different way of interacting with your data. I do not see a major difference between 7 and 8 except for the way you interact with it and 8 being made to run on a larger amount of devices without carrying over old issues.

I am actually looking forward to seeing something new and innovative from Apple with the next redesign. I really like the current OS but want them to surprise me and take what I use the OS for every day and turn it on its side.

Windows NT is still very much alive. It underwent a radical change between XP and Vista, but the NT kernel is still very much at the heart of even Windows 8.

Anyway, I'm going to download this ML preview now. I'm curious if there are any other end-user features that have been discovered yet, or if the UI has changed at all in any way. I have read that Software Update is dead, apparently being entirely replaced by the App Store. And it seems Growl is dead, too.

#103 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:44

I have read that Software Update is dead, apparently being entirely replaced by the App Store. And it seems Growl is dead, too.

Yep.

Posted Image

#104 grendal

grendal

grendal

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:45

Doubtful. Both Linux and Mac OS X do not have any real significant market share, and I can't see Mountain Lion changing that at all. Windows NT is still very much alive. It underwent a radical change between XP and Vista, but the NT kernel is still very much at the heart of even Windows 8. Anyway, I'm going to download this ML preview now. I'm curious if there are any other end-user features that have been discovered yet, or if the UI has changed at all in any way. I have read that Software Update is dead, apparently being entirely replaced by the App Store. And it seems Growl is dead, too.

Strange, I emailed the Windows Product Group a bit ago and they said different...

#105 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:47

I'm pretty sure they said if all you want is a certificate you can sign up for a free account, the AppStore still requires the $99/year sub though