After Beta, Messages Will Be Exclusive to OS X Mountain Lion

After Beta, Messages Will Be Exclusive to OS X Mountain Lion

messages-1.jpg

Consomac has discovered that the OS X Lion Messages Beta that was released yesterday will not be a permanent feature for Lion users. Messages is the new iMessage-compatible version of iChat that will be included in OS X Mountain Lion. Apple also released a public beta version for OS X Lion users to try the app in the meanwhile.

Based on the text strings found in the App's resources, it has been revealed that Messages will no longer be available for Lion users once the beta expires. Instead, Apple tells users to visit the App Store to purchase OS X Mountain Lion to continue to use Messages:

Thank you for participating in the Messages Beta program. With the inclusion of Messages in OS X Mountain Lion, the Messages Beta program has ended.

To continue using Messages, please visit the Mac App Store and purchase OS X Mountain Lion.

OS X Mountain Lion will be a paid update and is expected to be released in late summer.

Source: Mac Rumors

Not surprising at all. The did the same kind of thing when iChat was first released, IIRC.

edit: hmm, seems that I was thinking of some other piece of software, not iChat. I'll have to keep looking to figure out what it was. Point is that they did do this at least once before.

Not surprising at all. The did the same kind of thing when iChat was first released, IIRC.

edit: hmm, seems that I was thinking of some other piece of software, not iChat. I'll have to keep looking to figure out what it was. Point is that they did do this at least once before.

FaceTime? Although they did make it available on the macapp store for a small fee.

FaceTime? Although they did make it available on the macapp store for a small fee.

It was something much earlier than that. I honestly can't remember what it was anymore. And they also did something similar to that with iChat AV though (making users of 10.2 pay for it while it came free with 10.3). Maybe that is what I was thinking of.

Total rip and I agree that pretty bad practice showing that it can work on older OS versions and then saying "but tough, you can't have it" Seems silly but another way to get users to upgrade their software.

It was something much earlier than that. I honestly can't remember what it was anymore. And they also did something similar to that with iChat AV though (making users of 10.2 pay for it while it came free with 10.3). Maybe that is what I was thinking of.

That did happen. So how do we revert back to iChat then? If only because I can't stand its interface...

PS Reverse the order of the last two screen shots for the proper sequence. It actually starts downloading the uninstaller but half way through it fails.

No surprise really. This is what Apple does.

Considering the price of OS X Lion and most likely OS X Mountain Lion too I'm inclined to say people shouldn't complain about it too much.

Considering the price of OS X Lion and most likely OS X Mountain Lion too I'm inclined to say people shouldn't complain about it too much.
You're leaving out the cost of a potential hardware upgrade too. Not everyone has a ML-compatible Mac. Every time Apple put out a "nice and cheap" upgrade they kill off another batch of Mac owners. This time round it'll be original Mac Pro users and those like me who have GMA graphics.

Artificial limitations like this are what Apple do. I'm not complaining, just pointing out that it's nothing new. I'm aware of how their ecosystem works and I'm happy enough to play it my way.

^ Is that the 'iMessage' (iOS) or 'iChat' mode it's in on the default screenshot, or some mish-mash of both? (I'm not on my mac atm and if I can't remove it then I'm not going to bother trying the beta, just interested in how it looks overall)

Currently it's the Messages IM window + old iChat buddy list. I expect the final product to be more consistent.

There's really nothing artificial about OS X Lion being 64-bit only, as such all 32-bit Intel Macs were dropped.

This 32-bit limitation was imposed by Apple using a 32-bit EFI on otherwise 64-bit-capable systems. The old Mac Pros (and presumably my MacBook as well, though I don't care) can be made to run in 64-bit mode by using the Chameleon bootloader used in the hackintosh scene. There was no technical reason for Apple taking this approach other than planned obsolescence.

This 32-bit limitation was imposed by Apple using a 32-bit EFI on otherwise 64-bit-capable systems. The old Mac Pros (and presumably my MacBook as well, though I don't care) can be made to run in 64-bit mode by using the Chameleon bootloader used in the hackintosh scene. There was no technical reason for Apple taking this approach other than planned obsolescence.

The original MacBook Pro had a Core Duo in it which is a 32-bit only CPU. I installed OS X Lion on a 2006 Mac Pro without a problem.

My bubbles look nothing like this. It looks more like Adium. Does it mean there is any way to change the interface ?

You can change the colors yourself, beyond that no idea. Keep in mind that PR material on Apple's website has the tenancy to make interface elements look a little bit different compared the actual product.

The original MacBook Pro had a Core Duo in it which is a 32-bit only CPU. I installed OS X Lion on a 2006 Mac Pro without a problem.

Lion isn't a problem with 32-bit EFI as it has a 32-bit kernel. I'm assuming ML doesn't which is why these older models won't be supported.