iPad business use

There are now a few iPads floating around in the hands of the higher ups in the company I work for. I have a few questions that a quick google search has been unable to answer.

Is there any way of using Active Directory to lock the device down?

Are there any good sharepoint viewing applications for iPad?

what are some good business uses for the device other than recruitment videos and corporate email?

Why wont it make me toast with butter and honey?

There are now a few iPads floating around in the hands of the higher ups in the company I work for. I have a few questions that a quick google search has been unable to answer.

Is there any way of using Active Directory to lock the device down?

Are there any good sharepoint viewing applications for iPad?

what are some good business uses for the device other than recruitment videos and corporate email?

Why wont it make me toast with butter and honey?

I dont think it will do any of those other then email and browsing ( browsing handles by MAC i think, and email just regular exchange )

And it cant make you toast because the Dock Connector is copyrighted

I was afraid that was going to be the case. I am not certain as to why they are so hard pressed on buying these things. I have tried to explain to them that they are not really all that good for business as they are not secure and cannot be very well added into our network. Scares me to death to have the CEO out there with his email on this thing. if it gets stolen there will be all sorts of trouble.

I was afraid that was going to be the case. I am not certain as to why they are so hard pressed on buying these things. I have tried to explain to them that they are not really all that good for business as they are not secure and cannot be very well added into our network. Scares me to death to have the CEO out there with his email on this thing. if it gets stolen there will be all sorts of trouble.

what i would recommend in that case is the find my phone thing, remote wipe if stolen. im shure there are apps out there which will allow connection to network drives and what not. but like you i have no idea why people are wanting the iPad for what you are describing.

We are currently looking into an MDM (not sure what that stands for) solution that would allow for remote wipes and view of data usage (even over wifi) as well as what apps are installed on the devices.

We are currently looking into an MDM (not sure what that stands for) solution that would allow for remote wipes and view of data usage (even over wifi) as well as what apps are installed on the devices.

This would be your best solution to lock the devices down, although they can be troublesome to setup, as you need to register for an Enterprise Developer account from Apple to get a Push Notification certificate, which can be a bit of a pain if you aren't planning on developing anything.

Think your out of luck trying to access Sharepoint on it, unless it works in the browser?

Think your out of luck trying to access Sharepoint on it, unless it works in the browser?

there are apps and it occasionally works from the browser from what im reading. but i wouldnt trust the apps though, as none come from Microsoft

iPad's are no worse than iPhones from my perspective and they are being used more and more in large businesses. I would take the same precautions I use with iPhones in my work place, set them with pin codes and set them to wipe on 10 failed attempts. And as +Hell-In-A-Handbasket suggested I would look at setting "Find my iPhone/iPad" so you can track a missing device or initiate a remote wipe. Then if one goes missing I would insist the user changes his password (MD or not) and monitor the account for awhile for any suspicious activity. If you can't use the "Find my iPhone/iPad" function for whatever reason i think you can still use the wipe command in Exchange as the iPhone/iPad uses ActiveSync, but don't quote me on this as I've not tried it, just something came in to my head?

AStaley

We have iPhones in use and require that users have a pin code on them. However, I still think that iPads at least for our purposes are useless.

I was afraid that was going to be the case. I am not certain as to why they are so hard pressed on buying these things.

Because they're soooooo trendy and cool and you can do fancy flashy things to show off to customers (as you could with any other tablet, really, they talk about PDFs and .ppt presentations--but of course, the iPad has the "status symbol" associated with it) :rolleyes: The higher-ups here have been saying the same things... The difference is, my boss says "buy what you like, but it's not going on our corporate network". Only thing they can do is set up the email client with the webmail interface, which is risky enough if it gets stolen, but no different than the laptop, BB, etc.

Did you even search first? :shifty:

http://images.apple....cs/iPad_EAS.pdf

Yes we have seen that document.

Because they're soooooo trendy and cool and you can do fancy flashy things to show off to customers (as you could with any other tablet, really, they talk about PDFs and .ppt presentations--but of course, the iPad has the "status symbol" associated with it) :rolleyes: The higher-ups here have been saying the same things... The difference is, my boss says "buy what you like, but it's not going on our corporate network". Only thing they can do is set up the email client with the webmail interface, which is risky enough if it gets stolen, but no different than the laptop, BB, etc.

Pretty much what we are doing at the moment is they can only use their email on it and nothing else because we are not willing to add it to the corporate network.

and second question... You can search on the app store but this one looks ok http://itunes.apple....d400585451?mt=8

not made by microsoft, like i said there are a number of Sharepoint apps, but none made by MS, and personally i would trust the MS over random app in appstore in regards to Corp Sec

Been wanting to add my two cents into this thread. It's called mobile device management and it works great. The great companies that can lock down an iOS device:

1. Mobile Iron (I work for them): http://mobileiron.com

2. Boxtone: http://boxtone.com/

3. air-watch: http://www.air-watch.com/

I highly suggest you actually do your homework before you make silly comments.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/integration/mdm/