Mother to face charges for unusual punishment

JONESBORO, AR (CNN/KAIT) ? Valerie Borders forced her 10-year-old son to walk nearly five miles to school as punishment after his school suspended his bus privileges for the fifth time due to yelling.

Although fourth grader Nequavion Borders said he learned his lesson, his mother is in trouble with the law for her punishment.

"She did the right thing, she knew that I had been suspended off the bus five days, so she didn't do nothing wrong. She made me walk. I just had to walk. They shouldn't have picked me up. I could've walked by myself, " said Nequavion.

On Monday, his mother ordered him to walk to school, almost five miles from their home. During his walk he crossed a bank parking lot, catching the eye of a security guard surprised to see a child alone in the area.

"Ask yourself a question - is that safe for the child? If you wouldn't want your child doing it, we probably don't need somebody else's child doing it," said Sergeant Lyle Waterworth.

The guard called Jonesboro police, who took the boy to school, then contacted his mother.

Nequavion's mother was cited for endangering the welfare of a minor in the second degree.

"If we see a child and see the child out in a location where they shouldn't be, feel free to call the police. That's what we're here for, and we want to keep the kids safe," said Waterworth.

Nequavion spoke on his mother's behalf, stating that he did not want his mother to get into trouble for his misbehavior.

Borders will appear in court later this month, and if found guilty, she could face up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Source

even if it has been posted before i havent seen it and its bull crap she did the right thing 5miles? big f*cking w00p! thats an hour at most (is for me anyway)

This has got to be the biggest steaming pile of bull sh*t I have read in quite some time. :angry: What was she supposed to do, hire a limousine to carry the loud mouth brat to school ?

This has got to be the biggest steaming pile of bull sh*t I have read in quite some time. :angry: What was she supposed to do, hire a limousine to carry the loud mouth brat to school ?

Cant tell if serious.

Why would you EVER send a young kid out on his/her own? Whilst she needed to do something, this was a terrible choice.

Cant tell if serious.

Why would you EVER send a young kid out on his/her own? Whilst she needed to do something, this was a terrible choice.

I used to take public transportation to school at that age, I don't see the problem, unless the kid had to walk along a highway or so.

I walked over 2 miles to school all through elementary school. Around age 8 on nice days I rode a horse, but mostly I walked.

Cant tell if serious.

You got to be joking me. When I was a kid I walked to school everyday and never had any issues other than getting wet when it rained. My daughters walk to school every day along with the neighbor's kids and never had any issues either. They have been taught how to properly cross the street, never to talk to strangers and how to use her cellphones to call Police or us in case of any problem. People today just overprotect their kids too much and raise them to be lazy and disrespectful.

Wtf? 1 year in jail for making a child walk to school because of something he did which caused his means of transportation to disappear? Now that's just plain ridiculous.

You got to be joking me. When I was a kid I walked to school everyday and never had any issues other than getting wet when it rained. My daughters walk to school every day along with the neighbor's kids and never had any issues either. They have been taught how to properly cross the street, never to talk to strangers and how to use her cellphones to call Police or us in case of any problem. People today just overprotect their kids too much and raise them to be lazy and disrespectful.

All it takes is one person to make that kid disappear, and I don't think I'd ever risk my child like that, it's either school bus, or I'll drive/walk you. Comparatively a lot of children don't have cell phones either. (Although it would make it more manageable so I think it's cool.)

It has nothing to do with how smart the child is, it has all to do with how much someone wants to abduct a child. (Amusingly the best way to stop a kid from being abducted is to make them so ugly no one wants to abduct them.)

As for your last sentence: rant is rant. A rant that has been said for pretty much every generation in the 1900's/2000's.

My daughter rides a bike to school (1.3 miles according to google maps), and also has been taught how to properly cross, etc, and she has a cell phone that she uses only to call us or the police in the event something happens. When I was in Middle School, I walked ~2 miles each way, so I really do not see the big deal in making a child walk to school.

I was walking a mile to the bus along a road in the Rockies with only two other houses along the entire thing, when I was 7.

This is just absolutely silly. Arkansas isn't half as dangerous as a forest with no one else around to scare off the wildlife, and 5 miles isn't a long walk.

The child had even accepted the punishment as completely suitable!