windows 8 logo colored

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Eddie7

Eddie7

Hallo... www.connectw.me

• Phone: 1-800-CALL-ME-MAYBE

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:52

Welcome to Neowin and you're first post is already making me starting to want to be friends with you. Keep it up.

#17 Biotoxic_hazard_835

Biotoxic_hazard_835

Neowinian Medic

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:16

Very nice. That IS a Windows logo done right.

#18 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:29

That logo is definitely nicely done.

I don't hate the logo with what Microsoft has come up with, it just needs a bit working, just like this one

(Y)

#19 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 15 million+ downloads & growing

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:50

Very nice. Another one with slightly less bright colors I found on the web: http://forums.pcworl...s/av-250035.png. Here's an idea for Microsoft. While in Aero and on Welcome screens, setup and retail packaging, websites etc use the colored logo. Only in the Metro environment where the colored logo will look out of place, use their originally designed logo from Pentagram. But does Microsoft listen to anyone's ideas? Windows 8 after all is not just all about Metro right? The Ribbon for example, Explorer and desktop don't get Metro icons.

Edit: Some user called LiveBrianD has created the one with the colors which I think are just right.

#20 FMH

FMH

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:01

Great effort, but the new logo represents Tiles, and tiles are not multi-coloured. They are monochromatic.

#21 c3ntury

c3ntury

Say whaa?

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:11

My icon is similar but more Metro

I wasn't aware it was a competition. :p

#22 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 15 million+ downloads & growing

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:23

Great effort, but the new logo represents Tiles, and tiles are not multi-coloured. They are monochromatic.

Tiles are not multi-colored? In the Windows Developer Preview which I have :p, tiles are of different color. Multiple/different tiles are not of the same color. They don't have gradient, just plain solid color. Which looks good in Metro style. Not outside of it elsewhere IMPHO (in most people's humble opinion).

#23 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:29

That idea looks horrible compared with the new logo, as it doesn't fit with the Metro design language. The logo Microsoft have announced is beautiful and it fits very well with the Metro design language; it captures the motion and feel of Metro. A coloured-in logo that even follows the Metro design language wouldn't look very nice, in my opinion; marketing and placing the logo on different marketing materials wouldn't be as easy as being able to display the logo in different colours and shades is.

#24 Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Always shouts out something obscene

Posted 19 February 2012 - 14:44

Looks much better than the plain dull blue thing.

#25 MASTER260

MASTER260

Proud Script Kiddie.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 14:47

Much much better, Give it to Microsoft! :D. Much better than the original POS logo that was announced...

You know there will be places where the Windows 8 logo will have the usual Windows logo colors, right?:

http://www.neowin.ne...spectives-video

#26 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 February 2012 - 14:54

Metro... why? What's the deal with Metro lately? :s Please don't tell me we're back to decade-centric styles..

#27 drazen11

drazen11

Neowinian

Posted 19 February 2012 - 14:56

LIKE! :shifty:

#28 Robbie Ride

Robbie Ride

Robbie Jardine

Posted 19 February 2012 - 15:45

That idea looks horrible compared with the new logo, as it doesn't fit with the Metro design language. The logo Microsoft have announced is beautiful and it fits very well with the Metro design language; it captures the motion and feel of Metro. A coloured-in logo that even follows the Metro design language wouldn't look very nice, in my opinion; marketing and placing the logo on different marketing materials wouldn't be as easy as being able to display the logo in different colours and shades is.

If i wasn't for Microsoft stating the reason why in their case, the logo works, which is why you have jumped on their bandwagon instead of thinking for yourself.

Personally i think it would work within the Metro UI, there is no reason why it wouldn't. Its fair to say that Metro is here to stay but without the rest of the UI being updated it just looks tacked on, why have it on a standard PC when you can just use the Start Menu to access apps.

If Microsoft held a poll for multiple designs of the Windows Logo i'm sure i different and much pleasing logo would have been picked, but its fair to say that opinion is devided and for what i have read not many people like it.

#29 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 February 2012 - 15:37

If i wasn't for Microsoft stating the reason why in their case, the logo works, which is why you have jumped on their bandwagon instead of thinking for yourself.

Personally i think it would work within the Metro UI, there is no reason why it wouldn't. Its fair to say that Metro is here to stay but without the rest of the UI being updated it just looks tacked on, why have it on a standard PC when you can just use the Start Menu to access apps.

If Microsoft held a poll for multiple designs of the Windows Logo i'm sure i different and much pleasing logo would have been picked, but its fair to say that opinion is devided and for what i have read not many people like it.

You're completely wrong. I don't jump on bandwagons. I've always wondered exactly why they chose a flag. I thought that was for a reason, though, and that maybe I didn't understand why; this blog post of Microsoft's suggests otherwise. As soon as I saw the new logo, it screamed "METRO!" to me, and I straight away concluded that it captures the motion and feel of Metro; that's a deduction that should be obvious to anyone, without the need for Microsoft to mention it.

When you mention "standard PC," are you specifically referring to the Desktop mode in Windows 8? I ask because the Metro experience is for standard desktop/notebook PCs, as well as the Desktop experience for whenever the user requires it. Considering the new Metro experience is now being developed as the "main" experience of Windows 8, it should be thought of that the Desktop experience is being tacked on to the Metro experience, if anything, rather than the other way around. The Desktop experience is essentially another "app" that is accessible from Windows 8 (the Metro experience), and that is the same for all formfactors to ensure consistency. The Start Screen is highly useful for those with a desktop or laptop PC because of the information that can be displayed on it; the bigger the screen, the better, in regard to the Start Screen. For me, accessing the Start Screen on one Windows device (my tablet) whenever I'd like to open an app, and then having to open an app using the horrible-looking Start Menu on another Windows device (my desktop PC) would be a horrible experience, especially considering how different the two modes currently look and feel. I love consistency, and as it's probable that the Start Screen will work excellently on all formfactors, implementing it into Windows on all formfactors makes sense. (Of course, only a few people and some Microsoft employees currently know how well the Start Screen actually works for those with a hardware mouse and keyboard, so we can't assume).

#30 James Rose

James Rose

Software Developer

Posted 21 February 2012 - 15:41

I like it, it adds some texture. I hope MS uses your idea.