• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#61 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,745 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:57

Been playing it for a bit yesterday when the servers were working :laugh:
Enjoying it so far, although though it looks like ubisoft have tried to support the PC version by giving us some decent graphics options. The whole UI is terrible and struggles to work with a mouse. This of course is due to the console versions needing a simple UI. Not a big deal though, just something to get used to.

Looking forward to getting into it more at the weekend.

#62 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

• 3,013 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:09

How does it compare to FC2? Wasn't impressed with that after the hype and I'm worried about getting this for the same reason.

#63 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:10

Yeah that's the reason I'm holding off, respawning enemy checkpoints, jamming weapons, malaria tablets turned me off the game, I hope none of these mechanics are back.

#64 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,745 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:25

None of that is in the game. Enemy checkpoints are more like strongholds and you can take them over, once you take them over, you own it and becomes a fast travel location and unlocks side quests. Also the area becomes safe to travel in.

Weapons don't jam, you just buy them and you own them. Although i'd hold off buying weapons because capturing towers will unlock weapons for free.

Malaria isn't in the game. You have a tatauo (it is spelt like that i think). This is allows you to upgrade skills.

Crafting, you have lots of loot you can collect and craft items, pouch upgrades, holsters. and medicine.

Like you guys, i never really got into Far Cry 2 either. So far though with Far Cry 3, i'm really enjoying it. There seems to be a lot to do aside from the supposed long campaign.
Also if you like stealth in games, it is really well implemented in this game and you get rewarded more for using that path. You get a tonne of XP if you can take over a stronghold without being detected.

Did i mention the graphics? They're lovely. The facial animation is excellent. You really see the emotions on their faces. Like other games though, this is only for the main characters :laugh:

#65 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:40

Thank the maker we got rid of that Malaria

#66 Earthworm_Jim

Earthworm_Jim

GROOVY_!

• 7,306 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:07

it is really fun!!!! far cry 2 was a complete disappointment. this one fixed everything i did not like about it. not sure it will be as exciting in the story as far cry 1 was when it came out (i loved the mutants)

but i still hope for some surprises towards the end.

#67 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,194 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 23:42

Does the in-game camera saves the photo you take with it somewhere in the computer/game, or not? Took some awesome shots of a goat being attacked by crocodile that I would like to check :)

#68 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,362 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 01 December 2012 - 00:02

Does the in-game camera saves the photo you take with it somewhere in the computer/game, or not? Took some awesome shots of a goat being attacked by crocodile that I would like to check :)

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

#69 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

• 5,172 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 00:22

The only thing I do not like about FC3 is how it forces the crafting system on you. Fill up your wallet with cash? You can't sell anything. Fill up your rucksack with junk (from looting enemies, picking plants or skinning animals)? You can't pick up anything except money (this includes skins and plants, which DO NOT STACK). Fill up both at the same time? You can't pick up or sell ANYTHING.

Only way around it is to get the required skins and make larger wallets/rucksacks, but that just makes it take longer to fill up. With 4 types of plants and 15 or so different skins from animals, just having 1 of each skin and plant would add up to nearly 20 of the largest rucksack (80 slots). Granted you don't need to carry around many skins once you craft things beyond that skin (such as pig/deer/etc), when you carry around a few different types of plants for different syringes and a few random skins while hunting for more (to craft upgrades), its very easy to fill up your rucksack with random crap (especially if you play stealth and are forced to loot everything you perform a takedown kill on).

In short, the inventory management and forced crafting are the largest pitfalls of FC3. Once you get beyond that, it's a pretty solid game though.

My best moments (as in speaking for the game overall, not me performing my best) was when I was shark hunting, I was staying near the shore, killed a shark, went in and skinned it , two more sharks were headed my way so I high-tailed it out of the water back onto the beach (I backed out of the water). As soon as that happened, a leopard pounced on me and tore me apart. Another moment is when I jumped in the water and an alligator jumped on me as soon as I hit the water....that one made me jump. Then using rocks to lure a tiger into an enemy camp (where the guards quickly shat their pants and tried in vain to kill it).

#70 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,312 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:04

No Steam store? Ever? Pah!!!!!

Umm...http://store.steampo...eck/app/220240/

What?

#71 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,745 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:35

Umm...http://store.steampo...eck/app/220240/

What?

I think they are talking about the UK steam store, where isn't available for some reason.

My best moments (as in speaking for the game overall, not me performing my best) was when I was shark hunting, I was staying near the shore, killed a shark, went in and skinned it , two more sharks were headed my way so I high-tailed it out of the water back onto the beach (I backed out of the water). As soon as that happened, a leopard pounced on me and tore me apart. Another moment is when I jumped in the water and an alligator jumped on me as soon as I hit the water....that one made me jump. Then using rocks to lure a tiger into an enemy camp (where the guards quickly shat their pants and tried in vain to kill it).

Same thing happened to me with the aligator, i jumped in the water to get the blue plant and as i came up for air, it looks like algae or something on the water. It was an alligator.
Managed to kill it and skin it though.

#72 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,496 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:53

I've only played for a couple of hours but so far I'm really enjoying it. There are a few performance issues with SLI but changing the profile with nVidia Inspector helped a lot.

I'm annoyed that it's not available on the UK Steam Store but I bought it on gamekeys4u.net - after checking out the reviews of the site on TrustPilot - and although it took several hours to get the key it worked without issue. As always, it's best checking out these sites yourself but I had success so I thought I'd share it.

The graphics are superb:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#73 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:20

this is an amazing game and much better than FC2. like Lingwo said, no respawning baddies. Also the topics are more serious. i'm just not sure about that database...it feels like that snide dude from Assassin's Creed is writing it!

#74 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,186 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:20

As folk have said here, never got into FC2. FC3 tho. Love it!

#75 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,745 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:51

Anyone else with the PC version just finding the whole UI horrible? It really just slows things down and with its lack of mouse support. It makes things even slower.
It is functional at least. If they just gave keyboard shortcuts for options, it would be so much quicker.