official fps far cry ubisoft pc xbox 360 ps3

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#91 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,870 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:38

Everyone complaining about the UI....get a 360 CONTROLLER....

I dont even know how some people play mouse/keyboard. I only game PC, but have a 360 controller that is compatible with nearly 99% of the [popular] games I have played (the obvious cheap games wont).

Anyway, with the controller it is a xbox, 100%. You dont even notice any 'pc-negatives'. I will never play mouse/keyboard again now that i have bought this (amazon it, you can get a wired & wireless).

I have no down-sides about this game yet, and have been playing for about 8-10 hours. So much side-stuff to do, the mission part can take a while (which is great). I do also agree with 'curme' about the crafting...I can see they just force you to hunt, but it kind of a bit annoying like he said, but once you do have many lootsack upgrades and CAN carry more, its not tooo bad anymore. But hunting can be fun anyway so its cool overall.

9/10 for me.

I prefer 360 controller for racing games and some 3rd person games, but FPS games are better with mouse, period IMO.

None of that is in the game. Enemy checkpoints are more like strongholds and you can take them over, once you take them over, you own it and becomes a fast travel location and unlocks side quests. Also the area becomes safe to travel in.

Weapons don't jam, you just buy them and you own them. Although i'd hold off buying weapons because capturing towers will unlock weapons for free.

Malaria isn't in the game. You have a tatauo (it is spelt like that i think). This is allows you to upgrade skills.

Crafting, you have lots of loot you can collect and craft items, pouch upgrades, holsters. and medicine.

Like you guys, i never really got into Far Cry 2 either. So far though with Far Cry 3, i'm really enjoying it. There seems to be a lot to do aside from the supposed long campaign.
Also if you like stealth in games, it is really well implemented in this game and you get rewarded more for using that path. You get a tonne of XP if you can take over a stronghold without being detected.

Did i mention the graphics? They're lovely. The facial animation is excellent. You really see the emotions on their faces. Like other games though, this is only for the main characters :laugh:

Excellent, it sounds like they've gotten rid of all the most annoying parts of far cry 2 then. I'll be getting this game eventually.

#92 vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

• 14,047 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:12

BTW, you guys have all (well not all, but you know what I mean) said that enemies no longer respawn in FC3, but I've been watching several video reviews, and playthroughs and several of them have complained that SOME outposts that you try to take over (and in some mission areas) do respawn. Apparently it's even worse because if you die while taking out the enemies in the area, you don't get back all the ammo etc you used but all the enemies return. How true is this so far in the time some of you have had with the game?

I'm assuming it's no where near as bad as in the previous game obviously, but I'd like to know how bad it actually is.

#93 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:16

Well, I have liberated 6 outposts, I think, and didn't had the respawn thing in a single one. It is true that if you die in the process, you lose the ammo and plants and animal skins you recently aquired, the dead enemies, however, don't get up again.

#94 curme

curme

Grand Inquisitor

• 4,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:18

BTW, you guys have all (well not all, but you know what I mean) said that enemies no longer respawn in FC3, but I've been watching several video reviews, and playthroughs and several of them have complained that SOME outposts that you try to take over (and in some mission areas) do respawn. Apparently it's even worse because if you die while taking out the enemies in the area, you don't get back all the ammo etc you used but all the enemies return. How true is this so far in the time some of you have had with the game?

I'm assuming it's no where near as bad as in the previous game obviously, but I'd like to know how bad it actually is.

If you take over a base, it's yours forever. If you die while trying to take it, the enemies you kill do respawn, but that's only because you died and have to start over from a previous save. I never noticed the ammo thing (I hardly ever run out of ammo) but if it is true I guess it may be a death penalty,

#95 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:03

Graphics comparison

#96 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,941 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:12

BTW, you guys have all (well not all, but you know what I mean) said that enemies no longer respawn in FC3, but I've been watching several video reviews, and playthroughs and several of them have complained that SOME outposts that you try to take over (and in some mission areas) do respawn.

The enemies don't "respawn" - they're reinforcements when you trigger alarms. That makes complete sense in terms of gameplay and realism. More importantly, once you take over outposts you have friendly guys driving around and they will fight any enemies or aggressive animals you come across. It's completely different to Far Cry 2.

Graphics comparison

Comparing them all at 720p is pointless because that's not how it will be played on PC. The whole point of the PC is that it can easily handle 1080p and top-end systems can manage 1600p or beyond.

#97 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,768 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:41

If you die while trying to take an outpost, you restart from a checkpoint (usually just outside the outpost). You will start with the ammo you had when you hit that checkpoint. Anything you gained after that you lose.

#98 theslam08

theslam08

Neowinian

• 200 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 19:21

Person telling PC gamers playing a fps to get a controller like it is some amazing thing they haven't heard of. My god your in for it.

Ya ok :rollseyes:. Obviously you guys were clueless about it so I posted the quickest solution to a buggy UI (that worked for me). But that was pointless obviously. Ignorance is wonderful.

I think he was joking. Also the game doesn't support switching to xbox360/mouse+keyboard controls. You can only choose one at a time.

No Joke. Obviously you can only chose one. People said the UI sucked [with mouse/keyboard]...I said its flawless with controller. How can I be joking?

No

Keyboard Mouse works better. Much better :p

Then I dont know why people are complaining. My response was to complainers. And quit cheating pointing and clicking. No skill there.

Or you could learn how to use a mouse and keyboard.

Uh no. You could learn how to use a controller and not complain about having options. And again, k/m no skill just point and click.

Just the opposite, I don't know how some people play with a controller. The ONLY games I would ever use a controller on would be games with heavy vehicle usage (driving, flight, etc).....those are the only games that using a controller on gives you an advantage (touch-sensitive controls).

Any game where you need to aim a gun is 10x easier with a keyboard/mouse, anyone who says differently is only due to them being better with a controller than they are with a keyboard/mouse. Put a top FPS PC player (who uses mouse/keyboard) against a top FPS console player (who of course uses a controller), and the PC player will win 9 times out of 10, not because PC gamers are better or anything, simply because the control scheme is superior with you need fast reaction speed/quick controls.

The controller is like an xbox 360...sooo you have never played xbox? Then obviously you would be clueless. (The Bold) Ya obviously its easier, its a point and click. Takes a bit more skill to move/shoot/run/jump using thumbsticks. But does the computer AI know that? No...so you play how its more comfortable to you. I said use a controller because you guys couldnt stop complaing about the UI. I said the UI is fine. I wonder why. Maybe because I am using the controller, everything I need to do is a finger length away, not requiring me to move my arm across a keyboard 6 inches. And I play keyboard games online all the time...point and click [in fps] is cheating in my book (who CANT point and click? a 1 year old). Kill something moving a thumb/joystick, its not as easy anymore.

And obviously you can play keyboard mouse. Its default. So if you hate how its setup on default, go make an effort and try a different setup (from mouse/keyboard -> controller). Can you do that on an xbox or ps3? No...only the PC.

But w.e enjoy your keyboards and bad UI. Ill enjoy my game with no flaws. I only posted because no one else said w/controller there are no problems with UI. Only m/k users were complainers (as I read).

#99 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,768 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 20:07

Really getting into this game, i've captured all the outposts and radio towers in the north island. Now finally doing the second mission :laugh:
I however think i've grinded too earlier and i think i'll be pretty over powered for the next few missions.

#100 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

• 5,236 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 20:14

The controller is like an xbox 360...sooo you have never played xbox? Then obviously you would be clueless. (The Bold) Ya obviously its easier, its a point and click. Takes a bit more skill to move/shoot/run/jump using thumbsticks. But does the computer AI know that? No...so you play how its more comfortable to you. I said use a controller because you guys couldnt stop complaing about the UI. I said the UI is fine. I wonder why. Maybe because I am using the controller, everything I need to do is a finger length away, not requiring me to move my arm across a keyboard 6 inches. And I play keyboard games online all the time...point and click [in fps] is cheating in my book (who CANT point and click? a 1 year old). Kill something moving a thumb/joystick, its not as easy anymore.

Actually, "point and click" takes more skill than joystick when you consider why it is better for FPS games (reaction speed and quick movement). The UI being horrible is because they did not design it (or it is buggy) for mouse controls. I mean, even the scrollwheel doesn't scroll the rucksack. Sure I can use a controller to fix the buggy UI issues, but I shouldn't be forced to use a controller because the devs neglected PC controls for the UI. Also, my left hand naturally rests on my keyboard when playing FPS games, so I don't have to "move my arm across the keyboard 6 inches" to do anything in FC3. If that's the case, then you are not making efficient use of the number of keys your keyboard has.

The only reason you feel like "point and click" is cheating, is because it is much faster and efficient, and requires skill the master. I'm sure many console gamers would accuse opponents of cheating of said opponent was using a mouse and keyboard and they were stuck using a keyboard. It's not because it's easier to use a kb/mouse, it's because a kb/mouse is much faster. It actually requires more skill because you need to precisely move your mouse, and against other opponents who have this same advantage, you need to react quicker and do things quicker and more precise than them to win out. The same can be said for controllers, but due to the slow nature of the controls, things do not have to be done nearly as quick so you have more reaction time to react than the average PC gamer.

Killing something with thumb/joystick is just as easy as kb/mouse, it's only much slower (which reduces your reaction time plus your opponents reaction time).

This whole argument makes me think of some of the MMO's I have played, the keyboard and mouse is like one of the "Easy to learn, hard to master" classes that, when mastered, stomp everything else but need lots of practice to get to this level, while the controller is more the "harder to learn/adjust to but isn't that efficient" that, even when mastered can't compare to an equally skilled player of another class. Keyboard/mouse essentially has a high skill cap that's easy to learn, while controller has a lower skill cap that's harder to learn.

That being said, yes, I have played Xbox, and Xbox 360, and PS1, 2 and 3......PS1 is where my gaming started (well, I started long before that, but I didn't game heavily until PS1), so I am very used to console controls, but why is it almost every console FPS game has aim-assist while the PC usually has no aim-assist? It's because console controllers are inferior in "Point and click" games (which honestly, every FPS is a point and click game), so developers generally add in handicaps when using a controller to help the player. Not because controllers take more skill to use, it's because the controls are inferior for that style of game.

I'm not unhappy with the game because the UI is tailored towards controllers, I'm unhappy with the developers for not taking the time to make the UI work better on PC. It's like Skyrim, the UI worked fine for both console and PC gamers, but there were issues with how the UI worked that made the UI less enjoyable on PC than consoles. Luckily Skyrim has a huge modding community, so 95% of the UI issues were fixed by the community.

EDIT: I'm not going to sit here and argue which is better, each control style has its advantages, you yourself admit that mouse and keyboard is better(easier, which means more efficient) for "point and click", which describes the action of aiming and shooting guns in a FPS game. Why would I purposely make the game harder by using a controller just so the UI works better?

#101 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,943 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 22:25

Ya ok :rollseyes:. Obviously you guys were clueless about it so I posted the quickest solution to a buggy UI (that worked for me). But that was pointless obviously. Ignorance is wonderful.

No Joke. Obviously you can only chose one. People said the UI sucked [with mouse/keyboard]...I said its flawless with controller. How can I be joking?

Then I dont know why people are complaining. My response was to complainers. And quit cheating pointing and clicking. No skill there.

Uh no. You could learn how to use a controller and not complain about having options. And again, k/m no skill just point and click.

And obviously you can play keyboard mouse. Its default. So if you hate how its setup on default, go make an effort and try a different setup (from mouse/keyboard -> controller). Can you do that on an xbox or ps3? No...only the PC.

But w.e enjoy your keyboards and bad UI. Ill enjoy my game with no flaws. I only posted because no one else said w/controller there are no problems with UI. Only m/k users were complainers (as I read).

I don't have the game so I can't speak from experience (as far as this game is concerned) but I'd just like the point out the fact that if a UI is bad for one form of input changing input devices doesn't make the UI all of a sudden better. A bad design is just a bad design simple as that.

As for the rest.. Try to play Counter Strike 1.6 with a console controller (should be possible with a program like joy2key) and see if you can maintain your theory that it takes more skill to use a controller than mouse and keyboard. Fact of the matter is that a mouse is a pixel perfect precision device while a console game pad is anything but. Evidenced by the fact that most console games come standard with aim assist. Disagree if you'd like but it won't change the facts.

#102 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,768 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:45

I think i was the only one who said the UI was bad for the PC. Not because it wasn't functional, just some of the choices they used didn't quite work for the PC. They have things at the bottom like equip, sell, back etc. These would make sense to assign to a mouse or key. They did it with the map. Instead you have to double click things or move the mouse to these options. I don't see why i should use a controller. If i wanted to use a controller i would have brought the console version :laugh:

#103 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,941 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:06

Firstly, I know how to use a controller - I use a wireless X360 controller with my PC for racing games (like DiRT Showdown) and action games (like Assassin's Creed and Batman: Arkham City). Secondly, you cannot seriously argue that controllers are better because they're LESS accurate - by that logic using a steering wheel for first person shooters would be even more challenging!

I've heard some pretty ridiculous stuff in my time but you, sir, have taken the biscuit! You might play games on a PC but you're not a PC gamer.

#104 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,827 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:16

Actually, "point and click" takes more skill than joystick when you consider why it is better for FPS games (reaction speed and quick movement).

The only reason you feel like "point and click" is cheating, is because it is much faster and efficient, and requires skill the master. I'm sure many console gamers would accuse opponents of cheating of said opponent was using a mouse and keyboard and they were stuck using a keyboard. It's not because it's easier to use a kb/mouse, it's because a kb/mouse is much faster. It actually requires more skill because you need to precisely move your mouse, and against other opponents who have this same advantage, you need to react quicker and do things quicker and more precise than them to win out. The same can be said for controllers, but due to the slow nature of the controls, things do not have to be done nearly as quick so you have more reaction time to react than the average PC gamer.

eh... no.

When is comes to precision aiming a mouse is significantly easier to use. That's why it's considered cheating to use a keyboard & mouse in a console game; because it's easier. Why would it be called cheating if it was harder?

The whole reason console games implement various types of auto aim mechanics is because analog sticks are very tricky to be quick & precise with. The mouse doesn't have this problem.

#105 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,941 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:42

When is comes to precision aiming a mouse is significantly easier to use. That's why it's considered cheating to use a keyboard & mouse in a console game; because it's easier.

It's not considered cheating - it's considered an unfair advantage. Just because using a mouse and keyboard is advantageous does not mean that it is cheating, much in the same way that a 6'9 basketball player is not cheating by going up against a 5'2 player - he simply has a huge advantage. Consoles are designed to level the playing field, as everybody has the same visuals, the same controller and the same unmodified game. PC gaming is all about flexibility and customisability, so it allows people playing on budget Dell laptops with trackpads to play against a killer desktop rig with a 30" display, multiple graphics cards and a high DPI mouse.

Choosing to use a controller on PC puts you at a disadvantage but because the platform is open it's an option for those who want it; choosing to use mouse and keyboard on console would put you at an advantage, hence why it isn't allowed.