206 replies to this topic

#106 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,133 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 05 December 2012 - 13:40

eh... no.

When is comes to precision aiming a mouse is significantly easier to use. That's why it's considered cheating to use a keyboard & mouse in a console game; because it's easier. Why would it be called cheating if it was harder?

The whole reason console games implement various types of auto aim mechanics is because analog sticks are very tricky to be quick & precise with. The mouse doesn't have this problem.

That doesn't make it cheating though. It just makes it a better tool for the job (in this case, playing FPS games).

FPS games suck with controllers because they limit the speed at which you can aim, and aim accurately. When I use a mouse to play a shooter, I can do a 180 degree turn as fast as I can move my arm/wrist. On a controller on the other hand, I am limited by the maximum X-axis on the joystick. At the same time, the point-and-click you mention is very valid. The mouse allows me to be much more accurate than a controller by relying on the muscle memory in my wrist to fine tune my shot to the best of my ability. You can't really do that with a controller.

#107 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

• 5,171 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 14:09

That doesn't make it cheating though. It just makes it a better tool for the job (in this case, playing FPS games).

FPS games suck with controllers because they limit the speed at which you can aim, and aim accurately. When I use a mouse to play a shooter, I can do a 180 degree turn as fast as I can move my arm/wrist. On a controller on the other hand, I am limited by the maximum X-axis on the joystick. At the same time, the point-and-click you mention is very valid. The mouse allows me to be much more accurate than a controller by relying on the muscle memory in my wrist to fine tune my shot to the best of my ability. You can't really do that with a controller.

Exactly, it's all about using the best tool for the job, in this case the mouse is the best tool for the job. Forcing something the be more difficult by using a different tool doesn't mean it takes more skill to use, it simply means the tool you are using to do said task is less efficient than the other options.

It's like nailing something into a 2x4, you can use a hammer or the handle of a screwdriver. Obviously either will work, but a screwdriver would take more "skill" to use because it was not designed specifically for that task.

#108 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 14:20

For a non competitive shooter, there's little difference between using a mouse and a controller. The controller probably has an advantage since the menus are less annoying to use, and if the game appears on a console, it's probably been play tested to make sure it's not super annoying to use a controller.

For a situation where you're playing against other people... yeah, mouse is the only way to go. Doing something like a top left to behind you bottom right on a controller ain't gonna be fun.

#109 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,325 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 14:30

Guys, the topic is "Far Cry 3". If you want to debate "Controller vs Mouse/Keyboard" then by all means someone create a topic on it in the Gaming Forum :) Otherwise let's get back to Far Cry 3 discussion

#110 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,437 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 05 December 2012 - 14:55

Guys, the topic is "Far Cry 3". If you want to debate "Controller vs Mouse/Keyboard" then by all means someone create a topic on it in the Gaming Forum :) Otherwise let's get back to Far Cry 3 discussion

Heh, you're right - things did get a bit off topic.

I think it's worth discussing the visuals. Over on Blue's News there were a number of people suggesting that Crysis has better graphics than Far Cry 3, due in part to Far Cry 3 being 'designed for consoles' - unfortunately a common accusation in the PC community. I just wanted people's opinions. For graphics I include art direction, as it's such a fundamental part of the visuals - it doesn't matter if something is technically impressive (e.g. it has more polygons) if it has little impact on visuals.

Far Cry 3:
Posted Image

Crysis:
Posted Image

Both screenshots are taking at the maximum settings. Personally I think that Far Cry 3 has considerably better graphics and that the engine is better on a technical level but some people seem to feel this is a contentious issue. I think people only regard Crysis so highly because it was PC exclusive, which is taken to mean that consoles weren't powerful enough to run it - I on the otherhand am of the opinion that the engine was poorly optimised, hence why it has scaled poorly to modern hardware (I still get slowdown with a GTX680 SLI setup).

#111 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,740 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 15:08

They both have their pros and cons. I don't think one engine is the standout winner.
Crysis used CryEngine 2 on PC and is old now. I think the question should be in the future is if Far Cry 3 looks better than Crysis 3.

I prefer the look of Far Cry 3. The islands are hugely detailed and many caves and buildings which are fully explorable with no loading. The fire tech is still brilliant. Why more games don't do this is beyond me.

I don't know why we have to a "which looks better". Both games are good and should be enjoyed for what they are.

#112 +BoneyardBrew

BoneyardBrew

Photoshop Junkie

• 2,026 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 05 December 2012 - 15:13

Heh, you're right - things did get a bit off topic.

I think it's worth discussing the visuals. Over on Blue's News there were a number of people suggesting that Crysis has better graphics than Far Cry 3, due in part to Far Cry 3 being 'designed for consoles' - unfortunately a common accusation in the PC community. I just wanted people's opinions. For graphics I include art direction, as it's such a fundamental part of the visuals - it doesn't matter if something is technically impressive (e.g. it has more polygons) if it has little impact on visuals.

Both screenshots are taking at the maximum settings. Personally I think that Far Cry 3 has considerably better graphics and that the engine is better on a technical level but some people seem to feel this is a contentious issue. I think people only regard Crysis so highly because it was PC exclusive, which is taken to mean that consoles weren't powerful enough to run it - I on the otherhand am of the opinion that the engine was poorly optimised, hence why it has scaled poorly to modern hardware (I still get slowdown with a GTX680 SLI setup).

We all remember Crysis being the best looking game for its time, but if you look at it today it certainly isn't as great as we remember it being. That tends to happen a lot with games.

This is a screenshot of Far Cry 3 with SweetFX. From what I see the assets, lighting, shadows, etc. are superior to Crysis. CryEngine is very impressive but the first game hasn't held up that well over the years, which is to be expected. I would have loved it if Crysis 3 had returned to the tropics with the latest iteration of CryEngine. That would have been a fair comparison to Far Cry 3 and we could see which engine would reign supreme in an apples to apples type of comparison.

Posted Image

Image Source + More Screenshots:
http://forums.guru3d...&postcount=1977

#113 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,352 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 05 December 2012 - 15:40

What do you guys think of the characters in Far Cry 3? Vaas actually seems like he's insane. And Dr. Earnhardt is creepy.

#114 burnsflipper

burnsflipper

practical dreamer

• 1,131 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 15:48

I never though I'd say this, but the facial animation in this is superb, approaching and sometimes surpassing Uncharted's

#115 vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

• 13,940 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 16:10

Ugh! I can't get Sweetfx to work with FC3, it always crashed on me when loading into the main menu.

#116 Zodiarck

Zodiarck

Neowinian

• 204 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 16:15

I am nearly at the end of the game , it's an awesome game , i love the references to Alice in Wonderland , and the sarcasm in the characters Bio , and the graphics are just awesome , i'm playing at Ultra and it's realistic as ****

#117 +BoneyardBrew

BoneyardBrew

Photoshop Junkie

• 2,026 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 05 December 2012 - 16:46

What do you guys think of the characters in Far Cry 3? Vaas actually seems like he's insane. And Dr. Earnhardt is creepy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4_2QQdulCs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeQE72nqXug

Very cool! I love it when they use an actor entirely for both his/her voice and image.

I never though I'd say this, but the facial animation in this is superb, approaching and sometimes surpassing Uncharted's

I was also very pleasantly surprised with the facial animations. I'm glad they didn't cut corners here because the player models look fantastic and deserve it.

Ugh! I can't get Sweetfx to work with FC3, it always crashed on me when loading into the main menu.

Neither can I. I've tried DX9, running UPlay offline, putting select files in bin and the rest in root, etc. It's a shame because the shots that utilize it look stunning.

#118 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 17:12

This game is one of the best looking one, I have ever played, and I have played a lot of 'em.

Vaas is freakin' awesome for a villian. His facial expressions, voice acting, dialouges, everything about him is excellent and exceptional.

Haven't finished the game yet, in the middle of somewhere or something, but its the one of the few games in recent memory that have sucked me in

#119 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 17:25

And about the comparison with Crysis, I think where Crysis stood in 2007, Far Cry 3 stands in 2012

Crysis' graphics are showing their age obviously. I would really like to compare FarCry 3' with Crysis 3'

#120 Mannlich

Mannlich

pretty good

• 1,508 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 05 December 2012 - 17:30

The game is definitely amazing. Read up a bit on some of the reviews to piece together the differences between SSAO, HBAO and HDAO. Playing full HDAO enabled and SweetFX - things are looking great with this game.