official fps far cry ubisoft pc xbox 360 ps3

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#121 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,274 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5 (Android 4.4.2)

Posted 05 December 2012 - 17:55

I never though I'd say this, but the facial animation in this is superb, approaching and sometimes surpassing Uncharted's

All the animations in general are superb. Everything from the movement of your character's arms in first-person view to the movement of an enemy's body as you drive a knife through their back. It definitely rivals the animations in the Uncharted series.

#122 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 15,464 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 05 December 2012 - 18:07

What do you guys think of the characters in Far Cry 3? Vaas actually seems like he's insane. And Dr. Earnhardt is creepy.

The voice acting and character animations are very strong and there is certainly more of an emotional connection than any game I've seen since Half-Life 2: Episode 2.

Crysis used CryEngine 2 on PC and is old now. I think the question should be in the future is if Far Cry 3 looks better than Crysis 3.

That will be a very interesting comparison. Everything I've seen suggests that Crysis 3 will be similar to Crysis 2 in design, in that while the levels will be somewhat open they will be directed and there will be load screens between sections. Visually it looks like things have improved a lot, so in that area it will likely be very close - I've been quite impressed by the videos put out for Crysis 3. At this point I suspect that Far Cry 3 will have the better gameplay and characters (Vaas is a great character), while the visuals will be effectively a tie (both will have their strengths) but I'm happy to stand corrected.

#123 vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

• 13,732 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 18:41

Have you guys watched that tie in (sorta) live action web series they did on Machinima with McLovin and the guy who plays Vaas (as Vaas lol)? The guy is AMAZING in that as well, especially the last couple of episodes. It's actually pretty hysterical stuff.

As for the emotional aspect of the game - well I have news for you. I actually felt something for the characters when Jason first finds one of his friends (I'm early in the game, so you can speculate as to whom that is heh) which is something I normally never feel in any game, ever. Other than the odd spook and scare in games like Amnesia or something, I rarely if ever feel anything for characters. But this game, wow. Really well done and acted so far. Hell, Dr. Earnhart (sp) himself is really really creepy to me.

#124 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

• 5,345 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:31

You guys see that PS3 will get 2 exclusive DLC in the form of co-op chapters. IGN

#125 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,132 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:28

Hell, Dr. Earnhart (sp) himself is really really creepy to me.

Yeh wouldnt be because Vaas clearly has done something horrible to his daughter...... :o

#126 vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

• 13,732 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:06

Yeh wouldnt be because Vaas clearly has done something horrible to his daughter...... :o

Cool spoiler man :)

#127 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

• 9,018 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 13:25

Anyone else with the PC version just finding the whole UI horrible? It really just slows things down and with its lack of mouse support. It makes things even slower.
It is functional at least. If they just gave keyboard shortcuts for options, it would be so much quicker.

I think it's horrible. It's the first thing that I noticed. It like I have to triple click or double click things that should have been single click.

When I want to craft, and there's a new one available, it has a little yellow icon. I will click right through to the "rugged wallet" for example, but then the yellow icon doesn't disappear on the top menu until I exit right the way out. I also can't click the heading for items at the top again to get to the root menu, I have to select a different one, and then an item again to find the root. It also seems that I can double click on the item to craft it, but it's not obvious as the Craft and Back button are way down the bottom of the screen. It also has just enough lag to be annoying.

If I collect a new artifact or totem or whatever they are; the exclamation will remain there until I go right through to read the information about the totem. The same applies for the lost letters. I don't want to have to read 100 stupid letters or totems. If I find a new one, I have to scroll through the whole list until I find it and it's in a tiny little window that can be easily missed.

If I find 2 new animals and I only read one of the alerts, I have to go through the menus trying to find the one that still has the exclamation on it. I don't care about reading about a goat, or the crappy new car I stole either.

All the menus have a sticky click to them. It's annoying.

Also..... the save system is not obvious. Does it save at every checkpoint? It is only after a mission? I saved on one island manually, and then when I reloaded from desktop, it spawns me at a radio tower. I SAVED IT ON THE CASOWARY ISLAND ON PURPOSE!!!!!!

When I reload a save, why does Dennis always phone me with a reminder?

It's like on GTA: "Hey cousin, want to play darts?" ......... NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#128 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 13:45

You guys see that PS3 will get 2 exclusive DLC in the form of co-op chapters. IGN

:s :angry:

Seriously?

#129 vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

• 13,732 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:35

:s :angry:

Seriously?

It's just going to be a timed exclusive deal like Xbox gets with CoD DLC I'm sure. If not, that's pretty crappy of them to do.

#130 Zodiarck

Zodiarck

Neowinian

• 186 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:56

I think it's horrible. It's the first thing that I noticed. It like I have to triple click or double click things that should have been single click.

When I want to craft, and there's a new one available, it has a little yellow icon. I will click right through to the "rugged wallet" for example, but then the yellow icon doesn't disappear on the top menu until I exit right the way out. I also can't click the heading for items at the top again to get to the root menu, I have to select a different one, and then an item again to find the root. It also seems that I can double click on the item to craft it, but it's not obvious as the Craft and Back button are way down the bottom of the screen. It also has just enough lag to be annoying.

If I collect a new artifact or totem or whatever they are; the exclamation will remain there until I go right through to read the information about the totem. The same applies for the lost letters. I don't want to have to read 100 stupid letters or totems. If I find a new one, I have to scroll through the whole list until I find it and it's in a tiny little window that can be easily missed.

If I find 2 new animals and I only read one of the alerts, I have to go through the menus trying to find the one that still has the exclamation on it. I don't care about reading about a goat, or the crappy new car I stole either.

Also..... the save system is not obvious. Does it save at every checkpoint? It is only after a mission? I saved on one island manually, and then when I reloaded from desktop, it spawns me at a radio tower. I SAVED IT ON THE CASOWARY ISLAND ON PURPOSE!!!!!!

It's like on GTA: "Hey cousin, want to play darts?" ......... NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only the save thing happened to me , and i have already finished the game , it's a awesome game , the ending is just amaziiiing :p

#131 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,651 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:40

I couldn't agree more. These are my problems with the UI also. The double click isn't obvious and when it comes to equipping a new gun, you'd think double click would equip it. No, instead it brings up the attachments screen, instead i have to navigate to the bottom to click equip. A simple key shortcut for equip would work.

The memory card yellow icons are the best, you press escape ingame when it comes up that you have a memory card, it takes you to the info screen, you go back to the memory card list and it still has a yellow icon! i have to view it again to get rid of.

The save system is confusing. You have checkpoints during missions, i don't know if it properly saves progress or if i quit, i'll have to start the mission again. Then you will get random checkpoints when coming up to outposts. No indication on screen that you have hit a checkpoint. You find out when you die. It is amazing how many games get saving so wrong. Borderlands had the right idea, saves often automatically and saves when you quit.

Apart from these niggles, the core game is excellent and up there with game of the year.

#132 ryoohki

ryoohki

Neowinian

• 285 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:43

The Doctor is Awesome.. he feels like this weird uncle you see once or twice a year and leave you with a WTF moment. He's obisously addicted to drugs too LOLLL :)

The crafting and Skills menu are indeed annoying, personnally i would have put those with the MAP section..

The game save each time you complete a 'QUEST' or objective.. Also save when you fast travel, otherwise if you Manualy Save, it will respawn you at the close Fast Travel centre you've unlocked. That's what i found so far..

#133 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

• 9,018 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 17:39

The game save each time you complete a 'QUEST' or objective.. Also save when you fast travel, otherwise if you Manualy Save, it will respawn you at the close Fast Travel centre you've unlocked. That's what i found so far..

Ah, I see. So any manual save will save progress, but not exact location? If this is the case, I can live with that and can plan around it.

I delibrately saved it on an island so that I am reminded next time I play to gather the resources on that island. I didn't actually care about my kidnapped friends at the time, so get off the phone Dennis.

I don't think that "Checkpoint reached" does a save, even though you can use the menu "Restart checkpoint".... as I quit at a "checkpoint reached" as I was about to get in the first jeep, and I when I reloaded later on I had to go back up the radio tower I had already done 10 minutes (in game) earlier.

I also don't understand how the equip menu works.

I hate this game for making me think about such minor issues like this. They should have it nailed by now, or at least copy Skyrim or something.

#134 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,132 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:13

Cool spoiler man :)

Hardly I figured it out the second I got to the upstairs bedroom. Interested to see what tho...

#135 ryoohki

ryoohki

Neowinian

• 285 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:25

Ah, I see. So any manual save will save progress, but not exact location? If this is the case, I can live with that and can plan around it.

I delibrately saved it on an island so that I am reminded next time I play to gather the resources on that island. I didn't actually care about my kidnapped friends at the time, so get off the phone Dennis.

I don't think that "Checkpoint reached" does a save, even though you can use the menu "Restart checkpoint".... as I quit at a "checkpoint reached" as I was about to get in the first jeep, and I when I reloaded later on I had to go back up the radio tower I had already done 10 minutes (in game) earlier.

I also don't understand how the equip menu works.

I hate this game for making me think about such minor issues like this. They should have it nailed by now, or at least copy Skyrim or something.

The game doesn't have a Quest Log, if you engage a Quest, you must finish it otherwise you get out of the ZONE and it revert to the main quest. It's annoying because it keep repeating the last message over and over. I think i've heard one of the DENNIS cel phone message over 25 times LOL because i was doing sidequest...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!