Exam4 Software

Question

Hi all,

Background

I am a grad student concerned about Exam4 software by Extegrity. I am forced to use the software to take exams. One week before finals, I update the software. During an exam, I have to launch the program in "Closed" form - Exam4 then scans my computer to ensure that no programs are open which will interfere with Exam4.

Basically, Extegrity states that the scan is designed to prevent you from copying and pasting material into the exam. It is also designed to prevent you from cheating by looking up an answer online. I am concerned as to what the scan actually does.

Questions

(1) Exam4 software by Extegrity - what type of software is it?

(2) Does the "security" scan by Exam4 access parts of my computer that may contain private or personal information?

(3) Generally in a 3 hour exam, students type 10 pages of answers, but there is always one student who comes out with at least 20 pages. I've confirmed this suspicion with several professors.

Is there any way to bypass the security scan to be able to copy and paste material into an exam in a closed format?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

4 answers to this question

If you are worried, just run it in a virtual machine.

That way it has access to none of your files.

It's a suggestion I'll look into and probably will adopt for my computer.

But I'm also looking at the software concerns from a privacy law standpoint. If I can categorize what the software does, I can better figure out what it can and "should" not do.

Most likely it just scans your memory, if it was to scan your entire harddrive it would take forever and would be rather pointless for the purpose of the software, it has no need to do that.

This.

Also, it likely hooks your copy/paste commands and watches for browsers etc.

Just depends though, these companies never publish what their apps do.