One_or 2_ good file archivers to send Encrypted files between Win & OS

Question

A partner & I are starting a (very) small business on a shoestring. I have Windows machines - he has Mac (OS X - Leopard??).

Looking for encryption capable file archiver(s) that can read AND write in same format, to email back & forth from Mac to Windows & vice versa. Could be same prgm w/ Windows & OS X versions, or 2 diff prgms. Preferably free or shareware, good stability & GUI. I'm familiar w/ a lot of the Windows prgms - not much for Mac. It's a short list of free Mac archivers that will handle the more common formats for Windows (that I've found).

Speed & final compression ratio aren't as important as compatibility of sharing files between Windows & Mac.

Finding prgm(s) to open a file (say, 7-zip, zip) from Windows to Mac & vice versa, isn't as big a problem as finding programs that

will read AND write the same format, that both platforms can use.

both use encryption - preferably 256 bit, but 128 would be acceptable for now.

If 2 separate prgms, must read / write format that the other prgm easily handles (on Win or Mac).

GUI - perferably.

I see WinRAR now has a Mac version, but only command line?

I've seen Keka for OS X mentioned - know nothing about it. Says handles zip, 7-zip.

Other free ones, for OS X, (possibly w/ encryption), that read / write formats compatible w/ many Win based archivers:

P7-Zip (port of 7-Zip) - know nothing about its stability or useability.

Info Zip - (possibly weak encryption?)

I'd appreciate any comments on these mentioned or others I've missed that fit our needs. Thanks.

3 answers to this question

That Keka one seems like it should do what you want. Looks like its just a GUI for p7-Zip. Why don't ya try it and see. Make an encrypted 7zip archive on the windows machine and try to decompress on the Mac with Keka and vice versa.

Winrar is only command line on OS X but there are 3rd party GUI's for it. Check them out too if you want. By the way, Winrar only supports 128 bit encryption and 7zip does 256 bit.

I looked at a Lifehacker article on best file archivers for mac and some comments say Keka is pretty good, so I say go with that.

I see WinRAR now has a Mac version, but only command line?

Yes. However, there are several freely available GUIs for it.

Here's one: http://www.macupdate...21430/simplyrar

And honestly, unless you are dealing in national secrets, the difference between 128-bit and 256-bit encryption isn't going to be significant. RAR is a pain in the ass to crack as it is (ask anyone who has ever downloaded a password protected file from a torrent site or usenet!).

Thanks to both.

DudeBro - (is it me, or that redundant?) :) Anyway, if Keka is GUI wrapper, they don't mention it, but I don't know ALL the requirements on that for open source apps. If it is a wrapper for P7zip, we have a wrapper for a port... of 7Zip. That's a lot of cooks in the kitchen. That might be OK - really not used many apps that fall into that category. It does seem to be an all - in - one installer & seems to be currently maintained.

A little odd - seem to have a separate d/l for Context Menu for Snow Leopard (which is v10.6), but latest ver of Keka is "for 10.5 or newer." No explanation & that doesn't make sense to me. Couple of diff keka versions depending on OS X version.

Roadwarrior - the only thing that might be a problem for my Mac buddy is the command line installation & the GUI wrapper installation.

Since I don't use Mac, how does the wrapper find the command line install of RAR? Do you install it into same RAR program files folder & "SimplyRAR" just finds the RAR files, or is the installation process more complicated than that?

One thing I noticed is SimplyRAR doesn't seem to be under development anymore (stuck on RAR v3.8). http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21430/simplyrar Maybe there are other RAR GUI wrappers being maintained?

A little reading seems to indicate that getting SimplyRAR added to Finder context is a tad more complicated than clicking a check box during installation.

http://stuffforlife.blogspot.com/2009/03/data-compression-in-mac-os-x-how-to.html (Read down toward middle of article)

Not a huge problem for me, but my Mac buddy isn't exactly an advanced user & I'd probably have a hard time explaining to him over the phone, since I'm not looking at a Mac screen.

Both WinRAR & 7-Zip are excellent prgms I've used a long time, but their OS X counterparts are out of my area.