I have only recently started playing BL2 and finished the story and some DLC I had. When switching to TVHM I know you keep guns, XP, skill tree etc, but do your badass points and challenge completions stay as well? I want to get the "Challenge Accepted" achievement (complete all challenges at lvl 1) and would hate for all the challenges to reset as I am probably approaching completing that.

Are 'Normal Mode' and 'True Vault Hunter Mode' two different story saves? Probably a dumb question, I just progressed last night when starting TVHM and came back today and I had to start all over after having switched to normal, and back to TVHM. I probably just turned off my console and didn't save & quit, that could be why. I am asking because I want to switch back to normal for some challenge completions and would hate to have to restart TVHM all over again after having just gotten to Sanctuary.

Are 'Normal Mode' and 'True Vault Hunter Mode' two different story saves? Probably a dumb question, I just progressed last night when starting TVHM and came back today and I had to start all over after having switched to normal, and back to TVHM. I probably just turned off my console and didn't save & quit, that could be why. I am asking because I want to switch back to normal for some challenge completions and would hate to have to restart TVHM all over again after having just gotten to Sanctuary.

They are separate. I've switched back and fourth a few times. TVHM will only be for that character you completed normal mode with too.