Whatsapp - receiving texts without needing to manually open the app? How?

My sister, my gf & I all have iPhone 3GS's. We're all running 5.0.1. All jailbroken the same way.

Now let's paint the picture - all apps are closed down on all phones.

Let's say i open up whatsapp & text my gf - she receives an instant alert & my text comes through.

Let's go vice-vera (all apps are closed on mine & she sends me a text via whatsapp) - i get an alert instantly. I don't need to open whatsapp to see who may or may not have sent me a text since the last time i opened it.

All good so far.

My sister on the other hand needs to manually open whatsapp to see if anyone has text her. Why?

More to the point, how can she sort it so that she receives texts automatically?

6916816087_42aa718226.jpg

The above is what ALL (including my sisters) our setups look like. Everything selected "on" and alert style = "Alerts".

Something else must be different causing my sisters to act different to ours.

Any help guys?

I'm not sure about WhatsApp, but other similar programs don't differentiate between WiFi and mobile data.

They don't differentiate. But that shouldn't effect the receiving of alerts unless the connection stretch is really low and if you are on wifi, the data is automatically disabled until you disconnect your wifi.

You should go to the whatsapp website and read the FAQ first

Jailbroken Or unlocked iPhones usually have problems with push certificates. You need to get SAMs SAMsprefs and re-register with iTunes. Or get a

Legit iPhone

Silly question, but when you go under notifications, does whatsapp show under the top category (in notification center)? Ou may need to have that listed there.

If that doesnt work, remove whatsapp, reboot your phone and install it again. That should erase the settings.

If all else fails, try resetting the phone settings, that will fix even the hardest of issues. When I say reset, I mean settings > general > reset > reset all settings

Don't pay TOO much attention to the image. I stole it from someone as i couldn't find a lead to upload my own. For example - i'm not with Orange for a start.

My gf accesses whatsapp via standard mobile connection or 3G & it works fine.

My sister tried to access via standard mobile connection.

I'm currently accessing via WIFI myself.

We're all with o2.

I know im not helping to solve this problem but is you all have a 3GS n 5.0.1 why not just iMessage??

For the simple fact that on o2, you can't get a signal at my house. I'm currently off work so i need whatsapp to contact people as i can use the WIFI connection to do this.

Any talk of "go to another provider" is useless as they don't meet our needs & i'll just leave it at that.

You should go to the whatsapp website and read the FAQ first

Jailbroken Or unlocked iPhones usually have problems with push certificates. You need to get SAMs SAMsprefs and re-register with iTunes. Or get a

Legit iPhone

As said, all 3 phones are jailbroken & only 1 of them has issue.

The phone is legit too. It's really real. It's not a mirage where i'm actually holding a chocolate bar or something. It's really a real iPhone.

Silly question, but when you go under notifications, does whatsapp show under the top category (in notification center)? Ou may need to have that listed there.

If that doesnt work, remove whatsapp, reboot your phone and install it again. That should erase the settings.

If all else fails, try resetting the phone settings, that will fix even the hardest of issues. When I say reset, I mean settings > general > reset > reset all settings

If you mean "in notification center" then yes, it's listed there.

What else will the reset reset? Could be a long painful process trying to get all settings back to 'normal'. Plus the phone has only just been put back to factory settings anyway as it had to get returned for repair (the problem existed before the repair also).

The phone is legit too. It's really real. It's not a mirage where i'm actually holding a chocolate bar or something. It's really a real iPhone.

:laugh:

I think when he said "legit" he more meant "un-jailbreak it if you want to be sure that it will work." Just because they are all jailbroken doesn't mean that they will all function exactly the same way.

And you didn't answer his question about checking the Whatsapp FAQ. Have you tried all of the steps that they suggest there, including all the "restart the phone" parts?

EDIT: The FAQ even tells you that if you have unlocked your phone, you should read this thread or have a look here. Have you done all of that?

And you didn't answer his question about checking the Whatsapp FAQ.

It wasn't a question, it was a statement/order/recommendation :)

Though i will look into it later on today as i've got some jobs to do now. Thanks.

For the simple fact that on o2, you can't get a signal at my house. I'm currently off work so i need whatsapp to contact people as i can use the WIFI connection to do this. Any talk of "go to another provider" is useless as they don't meet our needs & i'll just leave it at that.

iMessage works over WiFi, but only to other iMessage users.

Not that I am contributing anything useful to the thread I have noticed that after awhile of not rebooting my blackberry WhatsApp no longer will vibrate or make any audible noise (depending on the sound profile). All I get is an asterisk overlaying the icon in the menu.

Don't pay TOO much attention to the image. I stole it from someone as i couldn't find a lead to upload my own. For example - i'm not with Orange for a start.

My gf accesses whatsapp via standard mobile connection or 3G & it works fine.

My sister tried to access via standard mobile connection.

I'm currently accessing via WIFI myself.

We're all with o2.

For the simple fact that on o2, you can't get a signal at my house. I'm currently off work so i need whatsapp to contact people as i can use the WIFI connection to do this.

Any talk of "go to another provider" is useless as they don't meet our needs & i'll just leave it at that.

If you mean "in notification center" then yes, it's listed there.

What else will the reset reset? Could be a long painful process trying to get all settings back to 'normal'. Plus the phone has only just been put back to factory settings anyway as it had to get returned for repair (the problem existed before the repair also).

You can iMessage off of WiFi

as said just use imessage over wifi... problem solved.

just check you're running the same versions and check all settings are the same for both the app, iphone and the iphone's app settings.

The Whatsapp app doesn't register your online presence until it's opened as well, which is probably why you're forced into the app (unlike typical sms).

Did you try deleting Whatsapp and reinstalling it (after restarting the phone)? The FAQ page on their site also has some troubleshooting steps that you could try.

It wouldn't let me. Kept telling me i had no credit on my phone (my balance is ?0.00)

iMessage would probably be better than Whatsapp in your case, as it's a native/built-in solution and you're only communicating with other iPhones that can run iOS 5.

iMessage works over wi-fi and 3G so either you weren't connected to a wi-fi network or iMessage wasn't turned on. Alternatively, the other iPhones may not have been setup or able to receive iMessages. If the message fails to send once you've ensured the phone is connected to the internet via wi-fi and iMessage is on (Settings > Messages), attempt to resend the message after turning the following setting off: Settings > Messages > Send as SMS. If it fails again without telling you that you have no credit, it means that the recipient cannot get iMessages for one reason or another.

The Whatsapp app doesn't register your online presence until it's opened as well, which is probably why you're forced into the app (unlike typical sms).

I didn't quite understand the point of this post.

You're only forced into the app when trying to view or reply to the conversation (similar to typical SMS). The problem here is that push notifications (not technically "texts") aren't coming through from Whatsapp, which doesn't have to be open in order to receive those alerts.

Try sending an iMessage to the other person's registered email address while connected to WiFi (you can check which email addresses are registered in the Settings). That way it defaults to sending an iMessage instead of trying to first send an SMS.

I don't believe anyone has asked this yet but did you check the Notification settings inside of Whatsapp? Are they all enabled?

Whatsapp-1.jpgWhatsapp-2.jpg

Jamushroom - my options don't look like yours.

Haven't yet tried uninstall of whatsapp (i think). Will try that.

As for iMessage, i can assure you that WIFI was connected & that the one i was sending to also has iMessage on their iphone.

Jamushroom - my options don't look like yours.

Haven't yet tried uninstall of whatsapp (i think). Will try that.

As for iMessage, i can assure you that WIFI was connected & that the one i was sending to also has iMessage on their iphone.

Did you try using iMessage to send to their apple ID email address?

jamushroom - i was looking in the wrong options. I have the same options as you but all mine are turned on

Did you try using iMessage to send to their apple ID email address?

Yes, it doesn't work. Doesn't send.

And before it's suggested that iMessage isn't on....

Settings > Messages > iMessage > ON

Re-install WhatsaApp to see if that fixes things. I wouldn't know what else the problem could be.