Employee staged accident to get workers' comp, but was caught on CCTV

NORTH BERGEN -- A Target employee who police say staged an elaborate scheme in an effort to fake an accident and collect workers' compensation apparently forgot one thing in the planning -- the cameras in the storeroom were rolling.

"If you are considering a crime, you have to remember eyes are on you when you least expect it," said Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Mike Zevitz of the indictment of Victoria Colon, 28, of Union City, which was handed up yesterday.

Colon was employed in the customer service area at the North Bergen Target on June 2 when she claimed a box she was carrying hit the edge of a shelf and boxes fell off the shelves and struck her head, neck and back -- and even caused her to vomit, authorities said.

The store launched an investigation and a review of security video showed Colon staged the accident, authorities said.

According to the Prosecutor's Office, the 10-minute segment of the video shows:

Colon loosened a shelf in the storeroom that caused the boxes to fall when she bumped into it. She then positioned herself under the boxes before pulling a shopping cart containing additional items onto herself.

A fellow employee responded to Colon's calls for help, but when the other employee left, Colon picked up what appears to be batteries and hit herself in the head with them several times.

Colon then left the area and returned with a beverage and what appears to be Goldfish crackers. After eating some crackers and drinking some of the beverage, Colon knelt down and vomited. She left again, then returned and re-staged the accident scene before taking pictures of it.

Colon later put in a claim for workers compensation, saying she suffered neck and back injuries, Zevitz said. Colon, who authorities said did not receive any workers comp money, was arrested on Jan. 17 and is currently out on bail.

The charge against Colon carries a possible penalty of up to 10 years in prison upon conviction. It will likely be several months before the case goes to trial, Zevitz said. Prosecutors would not release the video.

Source

I hope she ends up serving a bit of time to teach her and others like that a lesson. I'm sorry, but I have a huge issue with people like this trying to get a 'free ride' because they're too lazy to work for it.

An interesting thing about those stores is that the majority of the cameras are fake.

what do you mean by "those stores" - major retailers like Walmart and Target have fully functioning cameras in all of their stores. Perhaps your mom and pop shops set up some fake cameras to deter shoplifting but I assure you the cameras in those stores are real.

Textbook definition of "epic fail" right there. Keep smacking yourself with those batteries. Maybe you'll knock some sense into yourself.

• Like 2

what do you mean by "those stores" - major retailers like Walmart and Target have fully functioning cameras in all of their stores. Perhaps your mom and pop shops set up some fake cameras to deter shoplifting but I assure you the cameras in those stores are real.

Target specifically. I know first hand the vast majority of those black domes on the ceiling are there for show. They do a decent job on keeping the hot areas blanketed but the coverage and resolution isn't nearly what it appears.

EDIT:// This especially holds true in the backroom areas. There's a black dome in every stock aisle but only the entrances, exits and main aisles were covered.

The workers comp thing probably wouldn't have worked anyway. I remember an instance of an overnight stocker breaking his hand on the job. They made use of him by assigning him to being a doorman while the store was closed.

Textbook definition of "epic fail" right there. Keep smacking yourself with those batteries. Maybe you'll knock some sense into yourself.

Maybe Assault and Battery was her Plan B!

its kinda awesome that they can watch her stage all of it. I wish i could see her face when they present that evidence .

I'm not sure it's right to judge off one photos whether someone is the type to do this...

But I ain't disagreeing!

I agree - you're right its not good. Most people's mugshots are taken @ their worst time. not like I am speaking from experience :shifty:

I hope she ends up serving a bit of time to teach her and others like that a lesson. I'm sorry, but I have a huge issue with people like this trying to get a 'free ride' because they're too lazy to work for it.

A bit of time?!

Hope the dumb c**t get's the whole 10 years!!

This is EXACTLY why everything is so f***ed up in America (other than the governemnt anyway)