Intel joins The Document Foundation, pushes LibreOffice

LaTeX, bro'.

Hell no. We have to start using it for school now and it is horrible. It takes you AGES to set up properly and is horribly confusing and inefficient.

Latex is a typesetting application.

It's primarily used by university authors for publication of their papers.

It also makes mathematical formulae easier to to write/display/notate etc.

Ribbon is stupid and difficult to navigate for non-technical users, if you resize your window you lose access to buttons sometimes, and some of the buttons aren't even labeled.

I've found the exact opposite to be true.

Technical/business users who worked with Office day in day out found the ribbon annoying.

People who rarely used office and are far from technical found it far easier to work with.

Hell no. We have to start using it for school now and it is horrible. It takes you AGES to set up properly and is horribly confusing and inefficient.

LaTeX coupled with an editor like Texmaker is more efficient than Word et al. for scientific documents. Read manuals like l2short.pdf and you'll be as productive as with a GUI word processor within a day or two.

Some parts are written in Java. It told me that it requires Java for full functionality the last time installed it. :/ (version 3.4.5)

My package manager doesn't list it as a dependency.

Repository	 : extra
Name		   : libreoffice-writer
Version		: 3.4.5-2
URL			: http://www.libreoffice.org/
Licenses	   : LGPL3
Groups		 : libreoffice
Provides	   : None
Depends On	 : libreoffice-common  libwpd>=0.9.2  libwps  libxml2
Optional Deps  : libwpg: library for importing and converting Corel WordPerfect(tm) Graphics images
Required By	: None
Conflicts With : None
Replaces	   : libreoffice
Download Size  : 2458.57 KiB
Installed Size : 10040.00 KiB
Packager	   : Andreas Radke <andyrtr@archlinux.org>
Architecture   : x86_64
Build Date	 : Sat Jan 21 09:33:53 2012
MD5 Sum		: 26adc8faf516a0732e1f3aea2f9982a2
SHA256 Sum	 : 3d26b02a6a451eb83fe64927f4494582ada97ab0b19772ad901752ebefb0c68f
Signatures	 : Yes
Description	: Word Processor Applicationfor LibreOffice.

Maybe some optional functionality requires java like you said.

Maybe some optional functionality requires java like you said.

No idea. I installed all 6 applications, but didn't install any extensions. On first run, a message popped up, saying that some functionalities need Java.

If someone's a bad writer/uncreative person/whatever, then having the most expensive office suite with all its bells and whistles isn't going to do a damn bit of good. ;)

No idea. I installed all 6 applications, but didn't install any extensions. On first run, a message popped up, saying that some functionalities need Java.

Java is required for some functionality, like (obviously) Java macros. LOffice will still work fine without it, you'll just lose some functionality bits.

Even if you have Java installed you can disable it in Tools -> Options -> Java.

I can't see what all of the fuss is with the Office ribbon. WordStar and Wordperfect before Windows had a similar system over twenty years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wordstar.gif

I've just installed LibreOffice and it's noticeably faster than OpenOffice. I need something which can do professional quality work. I can't say it's faster to start up than OO but it's faster usage I'm after. The whole computer runs faster.

It also doesn't kak .doc files which I use all of the time. It does however seem not to do a better job with rtf files. I also use it for viewing PowerPoint files.

Password protected files still take forever to open. I just happened to install Java 1.6.0_31 the day before installing LO if it matters.

It does a better job than OO so I'll stick with LO.