NASA wants to borrow your taste buds

HOUSTON -

NASA has announced plans for unusual taste testing, and the agency wants to pay you to test your taste buds.

Testers would live astronaut-style in a small space with strangers, with limited showers and access to astronaut food for four months.

Participants would be required to try instant foods as well as foods with shelf-stable ingredients. Scientists will record their reactions.

The research will help determine what types of foods astronauts can eat consistently without getting tired of it.

To participate, you must have a bachelor's degree in math, engineering, biological or physical sciences or computer science. Participants must be not smoke and speak English.

In addition to the free food, participants will receive a trip to Hawaii and $5,000.

Source

I would definitely do this... if I had the bachelor's degrees. :(

$5000 for 4 months? Sounds like it's aimed at people without jobs

Or people who have an interest in what NASA does and would like to participate in it? The money is just a plus, the experience is what I personally, would do it for. This could always lead to other opportunities within NASA.

• Like 2

what a strange world where you need a degree to taste food and interact with other people!

I was just thinking that... Do your taste buds become more refined when you get that particular degree?

what a strange world where you need a degree to taste food and interact with other people!

Well I'm sure there's more to it than eating and sitting around for 4 months. This is an astronaut simulation, so it would make sense that the people need to have a science background in order to be qualified.

Well I'm sure there's more to it than eating and sitting around for 4 months. This is an astronaut simulation, so it would make sense that the people need to have a science background in order to be qualified.

i dont think so. it is stated in the article "The research will help determine what types of foods astronauts can eat consistently without getting tired of it."

There is much much more to it than that:

http://manoa.hawaii.edu/hi-seas/

in the study goals the only thing that might have the need for a degree seems to be

• Conduct individual research studies proposed by crewmembers and ?opportunistic research? studies from other researchers. These projects will have human subjects research board approval from their investigators? home institutions and will be reviewed and approved in advance by both the crewmembers undertaking them, and the study organizers

the rest of the goals are all food related.

in the study goals the only thing that might have the need for a degree seems to be

• Conduct individual research studies proposed by crewmembers and ?opportunistic research? studies from other researchers. These projects will have human subjects research board approval from their investigators? home institutions and will be reviewed and approved in advance by both the crewmembers undertaking them, and the study organizers

the rest of the goals are all food related.

They will be writing an extensive amount of reports, which will obviously have to be done in a scientific manner. Anybody that doesn't have a scientific background would have a really difficult time writing a quality "lab report". Obviously somebody with a law degree or music degree could probably pull it off, but they wouldn't understand how to properly craft a thesis and how to relate results to astronautics.

If I was an astronaut, I'd want all the prior testing to be done by scientists and engineers.

They will be writing an extensive amount of reports, which will obviously have to be done in a scientific manner. Anybody that doesn't have a scientific background would have a really difficult time writing a quality "lab report". Obviously somebody with a law degree or music degree could probably pull it off, but they wouldn't understand how to properly craft a thesis and how to relate results to astronautics.

If I was an astronaut, I'd want all the prior testing to be done by scientists and engineers.

because a guy with a math degree would be more accurate describing food then a cook?

because a guy with a math degree would be more accurate describing food then a cook?

This has less to do with the actual food, but rather how the body reacts to eating the same thing over and over. A cook might be able to make the food, but will have no idea why people like it.

There's none. We all get tired of anything done repeatedly.

I have ate a can of Tuna (in water) everyday for the past year or so. It's a great source of protein, omega-3 and it tastes great straight out of the can! And at only 50 calories!

It started as something to replace urges to eat snack foods, and such. Now if I don't have my daily tuna, I go nuts.