official

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Reacon

Reacon

[VGW] Woohoo!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:38

Posted Image

Tribes: Ascend is an upcoming free-to-play multiplayer-only first-person shooter part of the Tribes franchise. It is currently being developed by Hi-Rez Studios, and is available as a download for Windows, though the possibility of an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 release in the future hasn't been ruled out. Signature characteristics of the previous Tribes games such as jetpacks and high-speed skiing will be featured in the game.

Currently, the game is available to play in the form of an open beta. Release date TBA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RjdB4_rkqU

Official Website

Game modes and maps

Hi-Rez Studios is currently testing Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch and Arena game modes. While some maps will retain the classic nature of the Tribes franchise with large open areas and base structures, others will have a more urban feel to them, featuring buildings and streets. Katabatic is one confirmed map for Tribes: Ascend, which originally appeared in Tribes 2, along with a revamped version of Broadside called Crossfire.

Loadouts and classes

Tribes: Ascend will feature a class-based loadout system. Each loadout specifies what type of armor the player has, along with what weapons and items they carry. Loadouts will only support three weapons at a time; two in-hand weapons and one melee object, along with either grenades or mines and a pack. All nine classes are separated by armour type, though their purposes vary. Armour type governs mass and energy, and thus maneuverability.

Light:
Pathfinder - Flag capper and chaser.
Infiltrator - Saboteur with stealth equipment.
Sentinel - Sniper.
Medium:
Soldier - All-purpose.
Raider - Base saboteur with explosive equipment.
Technician - Base repair and defense.
Heavy:
Juggernaut - Long range explosive damage.
Brute - All-purpose defense.
Doombringer - Flag defense.

Communication

Communication in Tribes: Ascend is more fluent than one might presume for a game without VOIP. Vocal hotkeys are letter-coded and thus very easy to remember and communicate with, as demonstrated in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izos11q1UZg

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI-avYzNJVQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDCX-V8th5E

How do we not have an official Shazbot thread yet? Well, problem solved.

#2 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:39

I haven't played the beta in a long while. Have they done anything to improve the game's performance?

#3 OP Reacon

Reacon

[VGW] Woohoo!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:43

I haven't played the beta in a long while. Have they done anything to improve the game's performance?

Not yet. The artwork in most of the maps is incomplete, and optimization hasn't occurred yet. I don't have high expectations for Hirez optimizing things, however.

#4 Miuku.

Miuku.

A damned noob

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:45

Indeed, on my box (@4.2GHz clocked/2x560SLI) I get solid 75fps vsync'ed on most occasions (SLI requires making an nVidia profile by hand, it's not yet currently supported properly).

2-3 patches ago I was having considerable frame rate issues so they did change something.

#5 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:37

Looks really good fun, shame my PC is less than likely able to run it :(

#6 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:43

Looks really good fun, shame my PC is less than likely able to run it :(

My PC is the one you won't even imagine to play a game on, but this runs pretty good at 1280x1024

#7 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 February 2012 - 21:41

The game kinda seems to be broken right now. If I can even connect without getting the error message about my account not having access to the game (I was just playing 10 minutes ago...) I get disconnected from servers every 10 or 15 minutes or it hard freezes my computer. :s

No issues with any other online game though, so I know it's not my computer or internet.

#8 OP Reacon

Reacon

[VGW] Woohoo!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 23:53

The game kinda seems to be broken right now. If I can even connect without getting the error message about my account not having access to the game (I was just playing 10 minutes ago...) I get disconnected from servers every 10 or 15 minutes or it hard freezes my computer. :s

No issues with any other online game though, so I know it's not my computer or internet.

No issues on my end, although they have been having server problems lately and downtime. May have something to do with it?

#9 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 February 2012 - 00:19

No issues on my end, although they have been having server problems lately and downtime. May have something to do with it?

I guess so.

When I can actually play the game is fun, I usually come out in the top 2 or 3 on the score board. Trying out the scout class, it's tricky to get the aiming down with that class though. Soldier is much easier to get kills with for me.

#10 Singh400

Singh400

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:07

FINALLY, there is an official thread for this awesome game. It's sucking me away from BF3 that's how addictive it is!

Got given a closed beta key way back in November. Tried it out then, didn't like it much. Besides I was engrossed in BF3. Tried it every couple weeks or so. Still wasn't find the appeal. Then when Origin went down again couple of weeks ago (just after T:A had a massive patch) I tried it out again (round the same time they introduced the new UI) and I was totally loving it. Found the appeal and started learning the game properly.

Game is hard to learn, and the skill ceiling is incredibly high. But don't let that put you off, there is fun to be had here. You just need to learn the game first. It rewards tactics and skill. Nothing more.

#11 +Yorak

Yorak

Insubordinate

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:52

Wait...is it my imagination or weren't they selling this game for $30 a few months ago?

#12 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:52

Game is hard to learn, and the skill ceiling is incredibly high. But don't let that put you off, there is fun to be had here. You just need to learn the game first. It rewards tactics and skill. Nothing more.

Thats my problem.
The learning curve is so steppt that new players are not able to do any good.
I played two rounds a couple of days ago and some more yesterday, and I couldn't get any kills. You have to be masterful for the projectile to hit the target. Though, I have found someluck with the Soldier' SMG, its still not that good.
I really really wanna get into this game. Ain't helping much :(

#13 OP Reacon

Reacon

[VGW] Woohoo!

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:01

Wait...is it my imagination or weren't they selling this game for $30 a few months ago?

They have a model where you unlock alternate weapons and classes faster if you pay 30$ one time. Not really P2W, don't worry. This price will definitely drop in time.

And the skill curve isn't as high as people make it out to be. I haven't played Tribes since I was 9, and I picked up the basics in a few minutes. From there it's all learning the maps. I am now a capper/chaser, full time pathfinder that frequently exceeds 220 sph.

If anyone wants to join me, I'm usually online 11 PM - 1 AM MST, name's Reacon.

#14 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:21

Yeah, like I said, I don't find it all that difficult, I usually end in the top 2 or 3 on the score board. It's fairly easy to learn to predict where people are going and shoot ahead of them. That being said, I still can't play the game very much because it's very unstable.

#15 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:07

You can get a free 250 gold if you like their page on Facebook. It says on the launcher but not everyone pays attention to that.