REALLY annoying iOS Safari issue

When I browse the Neowin mobile site using Safari on my iPhone 4 (5.0.1), it has this annoying habit. Say I click on a news item to read it, then when done reading click the Back arrow. I often have to refresh the page each time I read a news item (and sometimes, but less often, forums) because it takes me back to an older (presumably cached) copy of the page.

I have tried clearing my cache, but the problem quickly happens again.

Any suggestions?

I don't have this problem with the front page or news items, but I do have this problem with the forums. However, I don't think the forum issue is really Safari's fault.

I don't have this problem with the front page or news items, but I do have this problem with the forums. However, I know the forum issue isn't Safari's fault.

How do you know that?

Never have this issue, I have the 4s. Try cleaning the cache.

I have tried cleaning it numerous times :(

When I browse the Neowin mobile site using Safari on my iPhone 4 (5.0.1), it has this annoying habit. Say I click on a news item to read it, then when done reading click the Back arrow. I often have to refresh the page each time I read a news item (and sometimes, but less often, forums) because it takes me back to an older (presumably cached) copy of the page.

Any suggestions?

I get this problem multiple times a day on my iPad, iOS5

How do you know that?

I have tried cleaning it numerous times :(

It does it for all websites, you need to watch closely though because its easy to miss.

It does it for all websites, you need to watch closely though because its easy to miss.

oh. I've never noticed it except on Neowin. :s

How do you know that?

Because caching is just commonplace for browsers. Chrome, Safari, and Firefox on my Mac all do the same thing. When you jump back, it trades off updating the page for fast history traversal.

Because caching is just commonplace for browsers. Chrome, Safari, and Firefox on my Mac all do the same thing. When you jump back, it trades off updating the page for fast history traversal.

If I turn on Private Browsing, will it fix this problem?

If I turn on Private Browsing, will it fix this problem?

Doesn't look like it fixes it for me.

You could petition Neowin to use pushState and popState instead of actual page reloads. :p Then they could update the page on history changes. It'd also probably be a little faster.

Yup, get it all the time on my iPad 1 - that's when it manages to open a page without it crashing everything. Seriously, iOS 5 is the worst operating system ever - it's rendered my iPad into an unusable nightmare :(

Try cleaning the cache.

Sorry that i can't help. Just ..... don't you love it when people read your question fully ^^^ .

Yeah, noticed that too when I switched to ios I just learned to type the URL to go back vs the back button (tho now that I think about it it is kind of annoying lol)

• 2 weeks later...

Just upgraded to 5.1... Hopefully this issue will be fixed (Y)