Mockup of Windows desktop

^It's not about exposure though, it's about how well your ideas work in the real world and how they'll work for the average consumer. And a whole lot of other reasons.

obviously.

what i meant was. exposure gets you noticed. And only then will they think about it.

And yes.. Real world performance is the big big problem. Not because such a UI might perform bad but because people are going to rebel against such a drastic change. (like Metro) atleast we had 2 years to see how it works with zune and WP7.

If Windows 9 will look like this, I will be a happy man. Finally the simplistic metro look have been used for something that actually looks good.

I dunno if you've ever used OS X but OS X does it this way. There is no border on a lot of menus on the sides and bottom of windows. When you mouse near the edge there is a 4 pixel tolerance on both sides of the border where the mouse icon changes to indicate you can now click to resize the window. That is how it would work in this concept negating the problem you are describing.

this is what I was thinking how they can do it. I was concerned about this as well

It also has no border or corner space to resize on. while you can still resize without border you need to aim like a sniper which is not good usability.

No, you can set the resize zone internally like OSX does.

It's very operable and I use it in a couple of my applications. WPF is a beast like that.

Yes, but where would you click and drag (in the case where you have lots of tabs open, so the area to the right of the tabs is not available)? On the tabs? That behavior already tears off or moves a tab. On the actual page? That will either scroll or highlight text. The buttons? Probably not a good place. Address bar? Maybe, but not ideal. There simply isn't an open place to click and drag to move the window... in the worst case.

I really really want that Internet Explorer concept to work. If you know how you would want this handled, let me know. I do want a workaround.

In OS X Snow Leopard and before, you couldn't even resize the window by grabbing an edge. You had to grab the bottom right corner. Very annoying. But from what I hear this might be fixed in Lion.

A number of ways, either in the top left corner or any of the tab spaces (when available).

That said, you could even make it drag from the text zone. You could make the entire "non-interact-able" area of the window a move zone.

Sure it's a new design concept (as opposed to the current Windows schema) however that's a pretty substantial redesign >.<

...grampa? Izzat you?

BAS TARD :p

In OS X Snow Leopard and before, you couldn't even resize the window by grabbing an edge. You had to grab the bottom right corner. Very annoying. But from what I hear this might be fixed in Lion.

Not "fixed" because it was never a feature included to be broken.

The feature was added in Lion.

I like the way that background windows are desaturated in comparison to the foreground, also with slightly reduced contrast. It'd be great if they would at least implement this in windows 8. That foreground window really pops out like that.

I'd rather put it like this:

Windows 8 skinning should be possible, whether officially or through hacked means (as long as security doesn't become an issue). I, personally, don't like these mockups, but there's no faulting taste. I'm waiting to see what Windows 8 actually looks and handles like, unlike much of the tech savvy community that spent a little time with an alpha-quality developer preview and came to all of their conclusions from that alone (a ridiculous and idiotic perspective if ever there was one). I might like it, I might not--but I don't know yet. I'm not going to sit here and say how W8 will or won't feel with a mouse and keyboard because of how I IMAGINE a tablet-friendly interface would feel--that's equally stupid. So many opinions floating around are based on preconceived notions and interpretations of screenshots. Ironically, anxiety over Windows 8 (and Windows Phone) stems/stemmed almost entirely from screenshots, while people who enjoy the platforms gush endlessly about how they feel in motion, and yet these mockups are just more 'screenshots' that people are gushing over, despite having no ability to experience using such an environment.

When did we start getting so emotional about screenshots?