HP Wireless mouse problems

My daughter has an HP laptop and a HP wireless 2.4GHZ mouse. It just suddenly quit working, the scroll wheel button flashes on and off, which indicates that it either can not communicate with the dongle, or that the battery is low. I changed the battery and relocated the dongle to the other side of the laptop. Nothing happens. I have placed the mouse into my desktop, and all that I can do is scroll with the wheel, no other movement is recognized. Googleing this issue takes me to HP support forums which has 3 pages of people saying the same thing. I am at a loose as what to do next, I know if I call HP support on Monday, I will end up talking to someone in India who reads me a script, so I really do not want to do this! Does anyone have any other suggestions? The mouse in question is a HP Wireless Optical Mouse

All I can say is that it could be a bad mouse or dongle. Mainly saying this because, and as you had said, it doesn't work for multiple computers. Because you said it flashes as if it can't connect, it is most likely that dongle.