Teen robbed banks by drive-thru

OREM ? It almost sounds too bizarre to be true, a Utah County teen is under arrest, accused of robbing two banks in less than an hour.

Authorities said a 16-year old boy allegedly took his mother's car without permission, drove to a nearby Central Bank branch and pulled into the drive up lane.

"He sent a note through the drive-thru canister telling the teller to send him money," said Orem Police Sgt. Craig Martinez. "He inferred on the note that he had a weapon."

After complying with the young man's demands, the tellers contacted police and were able to give a detailed description of the vehicle, including the license plate number. But before investigators were able to track the boy down, he allegedly used the same modus operandi at an America First Credit Union branch just 20 minutes later.

Police eventually located the getaway car ? a blue Toyota Corolla ? not too far away in the neighborhood of 1600 South and 400 West. And walking nearby, police caught their man, make that ? boy.

"He had just ditched the car in a residential neighborhood and was walking away from it when one of our officers found him," Martinez said. Officers also recovered an undisclosed amount of cash.

The child's mother was at work and was completely unaware what her son was allegedly up on this Saturday afternoon, Martinez said.

"(The mother) had no idea he was even contemplating this," he said. "She was definitely surprised."

The teen was taken to juvenile detention. He faces two counts of armed robbery ? a second-degree felony. The county attorney will determine whether the teenager will be charged as adult.

Martinez said it was one of the strangest cases he has ever come across during his career.

"I've been a cop for 15 years, and I've never seen nor heard about a robbery at a drive up window ? much less two in the same day," he said."

Source

pfft obviously he had to do this to get any where in life.. seriously who uses are car even slightly linked to you?!? and then walks away when police are near!? he should of driven of dumped the car in an abandoned barn (might not seem like it but its not somewhere people will look as long as its far away and no touched then ) then 6 months later go back with fresh plates and driven it out of state... kids.. seriously..

Rob a bank at 16? I was working my behind off at that age... Kids these days.

Well he was technically working... You know it's very hard to come up with these hair-brained schemes ...

So wait, the person behind a drive through window handed over the cash? Doesn't that seem kind of stupid? It's not like he was infront of her with the ability to shoot her. Unless they decided to not install the bullet proof glass on the drivethrough.