Ordered a Galaxy Nexus to replace my Desire... now changed to Xperia S.

I finally bit the bullet to upgrade my aging desire to the lovely looking Galaxy Nexux (720p screen *drool*). However I've just changed that over to the Xperia S tonight! 720p screen as well, but a 12mp camera AND faster processor. My contract with it is also cheaper.

Anyone picking one up next month? First time I've ever owned a Sony phone, never got an Ericsson back in the day, didn't like them.

• Like 1

I finally bit the bullet to upgrade my aging desire to the lovely looking Galaxy Nexux (720p screen *drool*). However I've just changed that over to the Xperia S tonight! 720p screen as well, but a 12mp camera AND faster processor. My contract with it is also cheaper.

Anyone picking one up next month? First time I've ever owned a Sony phone, never got an Ericsson back in the day, didn't like them.

Congrats on the purchase!!! Xperia is a nice phone but I think 12 mp wouldn't make any big difference!!!

You should note that Nexus has zero lag shutter, so the capture time is less than 1 sec.

Switch back to Galaxy Nexus. It is one of the best phones you can get right now. The Sony is aging and very poor quality. The Xperia S has been recieving poor reviews for the last year or so... and for good reason. Do a little googling and youll see what I mean.

Congrats on the purchase!!! Xperia is a nice phone but I think 12 mp wouldn't make any big difference!!!

You should note that Nexus has zero lag shutter, so the capture time is less than 1 sec.

When I seen this it clinched it for me - http://blog.dialapho...-s-vs-nokia-n8/

Nokia have always made great cameras, so to step up from my Desire camera to this should be noticeable for me.

Switch back to Galaxy Nexus. It is one of the best phones you can get right now. The Sony is aging and very poor quality. The Xperia S has been recieving poor reviews for the last year or so... and for good reason. Do a little googling and youll see what I mean.

Wrong phone, the Xperia S isn't out till next month. I guess you're thinking of one of the Ericsson branded ones - Arc? This is Sony's first phone since they completely bought over Ericsson.

It has a 1.5ghz dual core processor, it's faster than the Nexus :p

Nice review here, good to see micro-HDMI

Aaaah yes. I stand corrected. He is talking about a phone thats not released. :)

I still however would not be happy with the New S... Stil not ICS, and so much bezel around the screen. That being said im on a SG II and its not as great as everyone thinks... Im changing it for a Nexus.

Aaaah yes. I stand corrected. He is talking about a phone thats not released. :)

I still however would not be happy with the New S... Stil not ICS, and so much bezel around the screen. That being said im on a SG II and its not as great as everyone thinks... Im changing it for a Nexus.

Yeah lack of ICS is lame, but it should be there within the month according to Sony. I'll be modding it up when it's rooted anyway. I almost got a SG2 before ordering the Nexus, so glad I changed my mind then. A 720p screen is such a winner.

When I seen this it clinched it for me - http://blog.dialapho...-s-vs-nokia-n8/

Nokia have always made great cameras, so to step up from my Desire camera to this should be noticeable for me.

Wrong phone, the Xperia S isn't out till next month. I guess you're thinking of one of the Ericsson branded ones - Arc? This is Sony's first phone since they completely bought over Ericsson.

It has a 1.5ghz dual core processor, it's faster than the Nexus :p

Nice review here, good to see micro-HDMI

If faster processor and good camera is what you are looking for then its a good Choice (Y)

To me, I would trade CPU(not by a lot) and mp in Camera for Vanilla OS and zero lag camera

If faster processor and good camera is what you are looking for then its a good Choice (Y)

To me, I would trade CPU(not by a lot) and mp in Camera for Vanilla OS and zero lag camera

Review says camera shutter speed is like 1-1.5 seconds on Xperia, but yes instant is nice. Lack of ICS day 1 doesn't bother me as it's either from Sony within a month, or most likely from XDA within a week :p

As I'll be keeping this phone for a longhaul, I think a little extra speed and a better camera will prevent me feeling too left out in the cold 1.5 years down the line when you're all on your 3.7ghz quad-core phones :p

I love the look of this phone. Is making me consider not going for a Windows Phone should sprint get this. Then again I think phones like the Nokia 900 are just as good looking and would like one on sprint as well.

The Xperia S is the first smartphone to come out as Sony?s new flagship device under their new brand name. Most of the specifications of the Xperia S are already known but some hidden facets from the handset have been revealed. The new Xperia S will arrive with anti-stain coating and a fast charge capability. The fast charge facility will get the battery to 80% in just 30 minutes due to high amperes (I also don?t know what that means) but, if its quick, its quick, we don?t need to know the finer details. The next speciality about the Xperia S is an anti-stain coating facility. The technology is nano coating that keeps dirt away and in addition is UV active.

It would appear that Sony?s aim is to make it quite clear that with the new branding they will be producing some superior products in their aim to the top of mobile technology.

Really like the sound of those two things - http://www.ukmobiler...-hidden-facets/

There is indeed a video on Youtube in Russian of a guy ballpoint drawing over the back of the white phone then easily wiping it off.

My Nexus arrived today, it's sitting with a sad face at the other side of the room whilst I wait on my pre-paid bag to send it back :( :laugh:

The one area where Sony will fail and where the Nexus will succed is software updates. Not only will the Nexus have the latest and greatest, it will also be updated a lot longer than Sony will keep this thing updated. Not to mention dev. community behind Nexus will be much much stronger. Hardware wise - screen size/resolution are ideal. I wish the Galaxy Nexus had a 4.3" 720p display.

Yeah it's seriously packing an awesome camera - http://recombu.com/news/camera-comparison-sony-xperia-s-samsung-galaxy-s2-htc-sensation-xl-nokia-n8-and-fujifilm-finepix-t200_M16956.html

Can't believe I can pick this up cheaper than an iPhone, or well, of course I can :p

The one area where Sony will fail and where the Nexus will succed is software updates. Not only will the Nexus have the latest and greatest, it will also be updated a lot longer than Sony will keep this thing updated. Not to mention dev. community behind Nexus will be much much stronger. Hardware wise - screen size/resolution are ideal. I wish the Galaxy Nexus had a 4.3" 720p display.

Sony said they'll support at least 1.5 years of official software updates on their new phones, so we should see Jellybean fine. Other than that I'm an XDA nut so I'll be flashing my own ROMs frequently.

The sony phones have got a good following on XDA. ALL of the 2011 models currently have CM7, CM9, MIUI, ICS and MIUI ICS availble. Sony actively post in the forums and whenever they have created a new beta for ICS they post it. The sony version of ICS currently looks like the stock rom, however with a simple update.zip thats solved :)

Sony S when it''s out should have the same following if not better :)

Sony said they'll support at least 1.5 years of official software updates on their new phones, so we should see Jellybean fine. Other than that I'm an XDA nut so I'll be flashing my own ROMs frequently.

Yeah, xda is great. Even then, you'll still see far far more support for GN on xda than any other Sony phone...

I think I'm actually changing my mind again. As I'll have whatever phone I pick for about 2 years (I can't afford to upgrade every year), the HTC One X looks tasty. Didn't know it was out as soon as it is (5th of next month).

Phoning Phones4u tomorrow to see what the score is with the One X, if they can't offer me anything I'll cancel with them and get the One X elsewhere/nearer it's release.

One X seems interesting although you'll have to bear with that awful Sense of their'.

If you are gonna run custom ROMS then you should be more than fine.

I would stick with Xperia S, just because of how it looks

I'm due an upgrade today, currently torn between getting the Galaxy Nexus or the Xperia S. Unfortunately the Xperia S hasn't been released yet and i'm rather impatient. Not bothered with the HTC One X as I prefer the looks of the other two phones.

All of my experiences with a Sony Ericsson device have been very positive and I assume the Sony brand continues that trend. Looks like a great phone! :)

Just got off the phone to phone company, Have upgraded to the Xperia S in white and ended up with more minutes and a lower bill :)

lrg_se_xpS_2.jpg

Kind of annoyed at the moment, spoke with phones4u yesterday. They have advised that I was mis-sold the Xperia S as being available this week and that it will not be being delivered till the 13th of March. Had a bit of a moan and managed to get 1 months rental free which is decent. But still feel I would have probably gone with the Galaxy Nexus instead as I could have walked out the shop with one. Another plus is that they have confirmed that I am on the higher tariff for new customers (600 minutes/1GB data) rather than the upgrade tariff (400 minutes/750mb data), I shall await my first bill to check this though.

One thing I've always liked about Sony phones is the loud speaker quality.

My HTC Desire sounds rubbish playing music, but my GFs Xperia Mini has amazing sound in comparison.

I've been waiting for Nexus to come available on T-Mobile (UK) but I might go for the Xperia S now.

Sony do load their roms with utter crap, but nothing a visit to XDA can't fix.

EDIT: Great. Yet another top of the range phone that T-Mobile won't be offering. I regret taking out a contract with these morons.