Video from Abandoned Batman Game Surfaces

Gameplay footage from abandoned Batman game Gotham by Gaslight has surfaced.

Earlier this year, concept art emerged from a Gotham by Gaslight game pitched to THQ. Now, a source has provided Siliconera with video of an animation prototype allegedly from the same project. According to their report, the game was in development by Day 1 Studios, the developers behind FEAR 3 and Fracture, before being canceled.

Siliconera reports that the game was based upon Batman spinoff comic Gotham by Gaslight, a Batman story released in the 1980s and set in the Victorian era. The game "was designed with a foggy world for Batman to explore and he would have the ability to see in the dark. Day 1 Studios tried to work with THQ to publish the game, but after an unsuccessful pitch Gotham by Gaslight was canned."

I don't think I'd ever play a Batman game set in the Victorian era. It just feels like an unnecessary spin-off from the main Batman lore. Also, Rocksteady Studios set the bar pretty high with Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.

Woah, Batman sure could jump in the Victorian times...

I don't think I'd have played this. Batman with a load of Steampunk gadgets just doesn't seem to be as cool as Batman with his awesome gadgets. And yeah, that cape is a tad on the ridiculous side for me.

I could live with the elephant man's cape. The incredibly oddly proportioned Batman puts me off more. Especially at the end when he doesn't have a cape.

Also is he carrying wooden stakes? Could this have also been a Batman vs Vampiers set in Gotham by Gaslight game? Sounds intriguing.

realistic cape .. A little too bulky.

this just shows how sometimes you dont really need to make things so realistic.

The cape in AC is perfect! Actually. I dont think anybody can do a better batman than in AC. the really set the bar high.

And i was played Alan Wake and it shares the same side view angle.. whereu see the character at one side of the screen. And playing that game isnt as intuitive as AC.

The cape in AC is perfect! Actually. I dont think anybody can do a better batman than in AC. the really set the bar high.

And i was played Alan Wake and it shares the same side view angle.. whereu see the character at one side of the screen. And playing that game isnt as intuitive as AC.

The difference is that in Alan Wake, you're supposed to be surprised by things coming up from behind, while in AC, you're supposed to pummel the crap out of people coming up from behind.

The difference is that in Alan Wake, you're supposed to be surprised by things coming up from behind, while in AC, you're supposed to pummel the crap out of people coming up from behind.

haha.

no i was actually talking about the mouse movement.. i mean how the mouse handles the direction in which the character walks.

In batman..

it shows it from an angle but he will walk straight up. In Alan Wake you have to correct for the angle else it will go a little sideways.

kinda weird to explain.

Anyhow.. i loved Alan Wake.. best story of any game yet!