Recommend me a decent image processing laptop

I'm looking to replace a my old sony vaio dual core 1.6ghz laptop, that while works, is getting old, slow, and the battery doesn't last more than about 5 minutes.

I'm going to start getting back into photography, and would like to have a laptop that I can use as a portable monitor to show models or others the images that I'm working on, as well as do light editing "in the field". I'm not going to be playing any games on it, and whatever hard drive comes with it is going to get replaced with a 128GB SSD, so rpm speed does not matter either. I want something professional looking (not glossy plastic, prefer brushed aluminum look).

The only software that is going to be on the laptop besides Win 7(8) is:

Photoshop CS5

Nikon Capture

Nikon View

Office

and possibly Adobe Lightroom, or some other cataloging system app.

The forseable use will be to use as a remote monitor to tether to when shooting, as well as doing some minor touchups while traveling or staying away from home. I'd also like to try to keep it below $650 if possible

Right now, I'm leaning between the following two:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215269

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246311

with a possible third being this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200434

We use dell's at work (E6410s) and they tend to have issues with fans or wifi, so I'm trying to stay away from Dell if possible. The other two have decent reviews on other sites, and the specs are decent. If anyone has any experience with the first two, or the brands, or something similar please let me know your thoughts. I don't really require the dedicated graphics card in the first one, but if it's the cheaper of the two it doesn't matter.

Thanks.

I'd go with the Lenovo. A barrage of reasons why you shouldn't buy the Acer will be forthcoming no doubt and if you want to stay away from Dell then that the only choice you have from the three you linked to :D

Get an 11.6" ultrabook, perfect to use as an ultraportable "monitor", has SSD already, many manufacturers to choose from, Acer, Apple, Asus, (and others?).

If you want a 13.3" then you also have choice of Lenovo Thinkpad X1 (highly recommended), and some other Lenovo's, and a HP.

I think if you stick with an ultrabook class you can't possible go wrong as long as you get a minimum of 4 GB of RAM. I think 17" is a mistake many people who want portable make, as they end up not using them as portable computers so much, they certainly aren't a "light editing" machine.

By the time you upgrade to an SSD you may as well have bought this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1412975&CatId=3989

Get an 11.6" ultrabook, perfect to use as an ultraportable "monitor", has SSD already, many manufacturers to choose from, Acer, Apple, Asus, (and others?).

If you want a 13.3" then you also have choice of Lenovo Thinkpad X1 (highly recommended), and some other Lenovo's, and a HP.

I think if you stick with an ultrabook class you can't possible go wrong as long as you get a minimum of 4 GB of RAM. I think 17" is a mistake many people who want portable make, as they end up not using them as portable computers so much, they certainly aren't a "light editing" machine.

By the time you upgrade to an SSD you may as well have bought this

http://www.tigerdire...2975&CatId=3989

I've thought about ultrabooks, but I really need something larger. In addition to photography, I do coding at work, and in my free time, so I'm also going to have eclipse and Visual Studio on there, and having a larger screen makes coding easier. I've been thinking about getting a 15.6" screen size, but Other photographers that I know recommend a 17" as well for the ability to see more on the screen.

Not sure why people are mentioning ThinkPads & Ultraportables with SSD if you want to keep it below $650

$650 + decent 128 GB SSD essentially equals the cost of an ultraportable.

I bought a 11.6" ultraportable and to be honest, I do some coding on it and it isn't that big of a deal (vim and visual studio). You will get 1366x768 which is adequate for on-the-go. Sure more is better and it would be great to have 1440x900 (like I have on my 14" thinkpad) or even 1680x1050 which some 15.6" laptops have which is starting to get toward the large size again.

I would visualise your usage case scenarios and buy purely on what will make your work easiest. Will it be portability, or will it be screen size that is most important to allow you to complete your mission? You haven't told us exactly how portable you require. If by portable you mean able to chuck it in any backpack or camera bag then the ultrabook is the way to go. If you mean struggle to lug it around with you in it's own bag then the 17" is an option. Those ones linked in the OP are between 3.0 and 3.3 kg which doesn't include the charger which can be significant. The other thing to consider is that 17" laptops have a typical battery life of 3.5 hours whereas an 11" ultrabook is about 5 and a 13" is about 7. If buying a 17" then I wouldn't bother with an SSD, not portable enough to warrant it IMO.

Yeah, so I would very clearly write down what I hope to get from it, for example "last the 4 hour train ride between X and Y", and purchase based on my requirements.