Should the iPad be allowed in schools?

Pros:

Student responses can be creative ? written, drawn, voice recorded or video recorded (e.g. podcasts). Children have a stronger preference for these mediums.

Can be seen as a tool that motivates and engages students in their studies (e.g. more contributions to class discussions via twitter). Various studies still differ on how technology impacts academic performance.

21st century skill sets essential for the modern workplace are developed along with a global perspective on issues.

Can video conference with teachers, other students and guest speakers from around the globe.

Parents can be informed of children?s progress at school via web based blogs.

It is lighter to carry textbooks in electronic format rather than having to lug a bag of hardcopy textbooks around.

Typing is faster than handwriting though you can use a digital pen on an iPad.

Cons:

More expensive than pen an paper

Dependency on technology for learning ? may not be skilled or aware of traditional learning sources such as the use of library books.

Can be a distraction with the multitude of non-educational apps at student?s disposal as well as access to social media, chatrooms etc on the internet

Online social media are readily accessible to the detriment of the development of interpersonal conversational skills, social and emotional development. Essentially interaction is with the technology rather than directly with another person.

Social networking exposes students to inappropriate material, sexual predators, cyber bullying etc

Though the knowledge available in the internet is unlimited the correctness and accuracy of information is questionable.

Hampered by slow connections to the school network, slow boot times, virus scans, flat batteries and so on. In addition to this crashes could result in data loss and reverse workflow.

Will take more time, energy and cost to secure and monitor uses of technologies.

Grammar and handwriting skills are affected as students become reliant on typing and spellcheckers.

What do you think?

http://tek3d.org/pros-and-cons-of-the-ipad-and-other-technologies-in-school

Cons:

True, but the cost will come down drastically in the not too distant future. Two years ago, I bought a brand new (nokia) mobile phone with a colour screen (and an LED flash light lol) for ?15, no contract, and it came with ?10 worth of calling credit.

Dependency on technology for learning ? may not be skilled or aware of traditional learning sources such as the use of library books.

Lessons in using traditional sources should be given.

Can be a distraction with the multitude of non-educational apps at student?s disposal as well as access to social media, chatrooms etc on the internet

It should be a requirement that during lesson times, only a strict set of apps are enabled, and various websites are blacklisted. Don't think iOS has that capability, but then the iPad is not the only option for tablet computing.

Online social media are readily accessible to the detriment of the development of interpersonal conversational skills, social and emotional development. Essentially interaction is with the technology rather than directly with another person.

"FaceTime"

Social networking exposes students to inappropriate material, sexual predators, cyber bullying etc

Indeed it does, school seems as good a place as any to learn about that.

Though the knowledge available in the internet is unlimited the correctness and accuracy of information is questionable.

Books are flawed too. Choose your sources wisely.

Hampered by slow connections to the school network, slow boot times, virus scans, flat batteries and so on. In addition to this crashes could result in data loss and reverse workflow.

All easily overcome with current technology.

Will take more time, energy and cost to secure and monitor uses of technologies.

A solid policy should mitigate that from the outset.

Grammar and handwriting skills are affected as students become reliant on typing and spellcheckers.

If your grammar sucks, you get marked down for it. I don't see why there should be any change there. Spell check should be disabled, especially in English lessons. Specific lessons in handwriting should be given, to compensate. I actually think doing that would raise the overall standard.

No. You can not draw as well on a Ipad as you can on real paper, with real materials. Not without spending a lot more money on a bunch of other crap for it.

Schools should be teaching fundementals

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fundamental

Look it up. If they don't teach fundementals, if technology goes away for some crazy reason, society will be screwed. You teach the basics, that way, there is always something to improve upon and with. Does no good to teach a young hunter how to only hunt with the most sophisticated hunting rifle, when he will need more core knowledge most likely on more rudimentary elements and devices.

I think "more" is an understatement here. It's literally thousands of times more expensive. Not only that, but increased reliance on spelling and grammar checkers will ruin communication skills for these young children. There's absolutely nothing wrong with either of those two tools, and I use them VERY freuqently. However, had I grown up with such luxuries immediately available to me, I think I would see a lot more red and green underlines when I write - and thankfully, learning English the proper way ensures that those occurences are rare.

As for what *I* think, tablets are going to ruin the world (inefficient user interface, inability to type fast [let me see you do 100+ WPM with an on-screen keyboard], limited functionality for most users). Get these kids some mainstream performance computers, teach them Windows & Linux/UNIX, and TEACH THEM HOW TO TYPE.

in a time school budgets are being slashed left and right (Pennsylvania lost 30% last year and another 20% this year is proposed) firing teachers left and right, and we start pushing for iPads for students... where's the money going to come from? our schools haven't updated textbooks since we where kids... not I'm not kidding, they still use the same books we did! they only seem to replace damaged ones... due to "cost" yet somehow we have money for iPads, prometian boards (basically the educational version of the smart board), laptops for every kid, desktops, etc etc.... yet we have to furlough teachers every year...

Should it be allowed? Sure, providing the student needs it. At my last job we had primary school students and older that were allowed to bring a personal laptop to class because of various disorders that the laptop helped them overcome. If it can be proven that the iPad can serve a similar purpose, then let them do it.

Should it be mandatory for all students (i.e. should it replace pen and paper)? Of course not.

• Like 2

Yes, they should be allowed. But not mandatory for all.

Heard the same argument many years ago concerning a basic calculator.

WHAT!?

There was never any debate about calculators.... The only things, which is very valid, is that a kid should know how to do basic math without the need of a calculator. That is why most math teachers , at least in my time of schooling, said to not use them. They wanted to make sure you knew what you were doing, not that you could press buttons to make it happen. Because, again, fundementals are important.

First things first - do not single out iPad. Because then it's immediate "no".

I do not intend to start evangelism but there are tablets that suffice the needs of students, especially those of starting grades, at a fraction of the cost.

What debate was there? I have never heard of such a debate.

They (calculators) were denied at the parochial school I attended. The administration at that time considered them to be the work of the devil.

No. While tablets are fun as others have pointed out the technological convenience of them can end up being disastrous on the students' communication skills. In some areas they're better than pen and paper and in others they fall quite short.

But then I don't feel that children should have smartphones either.

They (calculators) were denied at the parochial school I attended. The administration at that time considered them to be the work of the devil.

That's either an exaggeration or you went to pretty much the worst school in the universe. (That's also a slight exaggeration.)

What debate was there? I have never heard of such a debate.

when i was at school (late 70s, early 80s) there was a debate on whether or not calculators should be allowed for arithmetic and mathmatics in exams. I learn arithmetic the old way, using long subtraction and long division etc, to this day I rarely reach for a calculator, and its never put me at a disadvantage since. Mental calculations/jotted on paper ftw!

I see it at work, collegues reaching for a calculator to work out fairly simple arithmetic, the time its taken them to pick up and operate the calculator, Ive tallied it up in head/on paper before theyve started tapping their buttons (I work in Biomedical field, in IT).

and to the question, Nope, dependance on electronic methods promotes stupidity imo, learn how to do it manually then by all means resort to electronic means. Also handwriting will suffer in time too :(

WHAT!?

There was never any debate about calculators.... The only things, which is very valid, is that a kid should know how to do basic math without the need of a calculator. That is why most math teachers , at least in my time of schooling, said to not use them. They wanted to make sure you knew what you were doing, not that you could press buttons to make it happen. Because, again, fundementals are important.

There definatly was debates about allowing calculators in school before highschool, when you got to highschool they allowed them for stuff like calculus... but I definatly remember in the 90's debates about calculators for younger students

No. While tablets are fun as others have pointed out the technological convenience of them can end up being disastrous on the students' communication skills. In some areas they're better than pen and paper and in others they fall quite short.

But then I don't feel that children should have smartphones either.

That's either an exaggeration or you went to pretty much the worst school in the universe. (That's also a slight exaggeration.)

This lol.

For one I can't stand apple products... but a tablet device in general for kids is a good idea and great learning tool. My 4year old has a LeapFrog game tablet and he loves it and learns a bunch of things not only what it teaches in the games but being able to complete tasks.

There definatly was debates about allowing calculators in school before highschool, when you got to highschool they allowed them for stuff like calculus... but I definatly remember in the 90's debates about calculators for younger students

If there was debates, they were between students and certain schools, but not nation or country wide debates. Most schools, and teacher, and even those who understand the principle of fundementals, agree that calculators shouldn't be used for basic math. You should understand what and why and how you are doing what it is you are doing. Then when you do understand, may you use a calculator.

If there was debates, they were between students and certain schools, but not nation or country wide debates. Most schools, and teacher, and even those who understand the principle of fundementals, agree that calculators shouldn't be used for basic math. You should understand what and why and how you are doing what it is you are doing. Then when you do understand, may you use a calculator.

there is no national iPad / tablet debate either, almost all this is a regional thing, exactly the same as calculators

there is no national iPad / tablet debate either, almost all this is a regional thing, exactly the same as calculators

I don't think there is any real debate on Ipad either. I'm just saying, there was also no real debate on calculators. Basically, the only "debate" was students wanted easy ways to do things, schools said, "learn the fundementals". This is the same thing. No real debates. Just students wanting easy and fancy things to do in school.

I see no problem with tablets in the classroom (if the money's there) unless you're talking about students using them the entire school day. Some kids learn certain things a lot better with interactive programs and games. I've seen kids who normally wouldn't give a rat's arse about performing well actually put in effort and become very competitive with some entertaining learning games.

Just like with calculators they can still learn the basics the traditional way - the tablets would just be an additional learning tool.