EA preparing a Frostbite 2.0-powered Dead Space 3

Visceral Games may be looking to employ EA's proprietary graphics engine, the DICE-developed Frostbite 2.0, for a new title in the Dead Space series. NowGamer points to a job listing seeking environmental artists for a new Montreal-developed Dead Space property, together with a tweet from DICE's Johan Andersson in which the rendering architect teased a visit to one of EA's ?Frostbite-powered studios? in Montreal.
dead-space-logo.jpg

Should be good, not that Frostbite 2.0 is that amazing, it's nice and all, but i think overall slightly overrated. It does make for nice looking games though, i liked it in NFS The Run.

What bettern would you propose? I think its an amazing engine. No matter what the engine it's all about the design and assets, so I think they could do a great job with this. As apposed to a new Dead Space with their own agine which is just the same thing with some higher poly counts and more rendering effects, it'll be nice to see those with some included physics and extra time for them to make the game better instead of wasting time on the eingine. Consider me hyped.

don't misunderstand, i love BF3, even on the 360 it's still a good looking game. i also have it on the PC, and as the flagship game for the engine it didn't strike me as revolutionary, i personally think the previous version actually had more destructability. again, for a more static game like The Run or Dead Space 3 it should be very nice. a better option i suppose would be a custom engine, no?

I'm glad they're going to use Frostbite 2.0. It's an amazing engine which would allow for even better visuals than the engine used in Dead Space 2. I can already imagine how great the lighting would look.

don't misunderstand, i love BF3, even on the 360 it's still a good looking game. i also have it on the PC, and as the flagship game for the engine it didn't strike me as revolutionary, i personally think the previous version actually had more destructability. again, for a more static game like The Run or Dead Space 3 it should be very nice. a better option i suppose would be a custom engine, no?

Opinion. Also, a false one at that. Technologically and logically. Why would they create a new game, new engine, and then limit some of its main (physics) features to the less or equal than its predecessor.

"DICE has given several presentations on advances in their rendering technology with primary focus on the aspects of Animation, Destruction, Scale, Rendering, and Audio." - wiki

FB2 has all the destruction capabilities of 1.5 and more, its just that BATTLEFIELD 3 has less destruction. It was a gameplay decision, not an engine limitation.

Fair point that it might be a game issue rather than an engine issue, but still BF3 I think has less destructability. You can shoot RPGs at a wall and it won't even leave a dent. Anyway, a Dead Space game could use deformable environments. Give Isaac and his necro friends more ways to get at each other through walls and stuff.

FB2 has all the destruction capabilities of 1.5 and more, its just that BATTLEFIELD 3 has less destruction. It was a gameplay decision, not an engine limitation.

Got it in one. Cant wait to see more games in it. MOH and C&C:Generals are going to be great.

Fair point that it might be a game issue rather than an engine issue, but still BF3 I think has less destructability. You can shoot RPGs at a wall and it won't even leave a dent. Anyway, a Dead Space game could use deformable environments. Give Isaac and his necro friends more ways to get at each other through walls and stuff.

Again not the engine, just Dice not implementing it. Frost 2 was built on the same Frost used in BC2. Its been refined and added to and now weve have the 2nd iteration its nothing short of spectacular.

I'm not surprised in the slightest, Dead Space 2 was running on old Visceral tech and Frostbite 2 is powerful and flexible enough that pretty much everything EA is going to transition to it gradually. Well, maybe not The Sims, but who knows.

I'm not surprised in the slightest, Dead Space 2 was running on old Visceral tech and Frostbite 2 is powerful and flexible enough that pretty much everything EA is going to transition to it gradually. Well, maybe not The Sims, but who knows.

I'm sure The Sims would look great if it was powered by Frostbite 2 but I doubt that would be the case. The engine would be too demanding for the people that play The Sims. I can't wait to see it with Command & Conquer: Generals 2 though.

As for Dead Space 3, I'm really looking forward to the improved animations. They were great in Dead Space 2 but they'll be even better with Frostbite 2.

I'm sure The Sims would look great if it was powered by Frostbite 2 but I doubt that would be the case. The engine would be too demanding for the people that play The Sims. I can't wait to see it with Command & Conquer: Generals 2 though.

As for Dead Space 3, I'm really looking forward to the improved animations. They were great in Dead Space 2 but they'll be even better with Frostbite 2.

I doubt it, it's only as demanding as the content you push in it. The only reason Sims 4 and Frostbite 2 might not be a good fit is there's undoubtedly a lot of custom code in the Sims 3 engine that I would imagine them reusing, and it'd be hard to do if they switched engines entirely.

I haven't finished DS1 since I ran out of ammo so I've barely started 2, but I own them and this years gaming selection is pitiful so we'll see. I got major catchup work to do on last years games so hard to say.

Hey random, for a year that just started I wouldn't call it pitiful at all. But more Dead Space will be great towards Xmas.

As a huge Deadspace 1 fan (played it through on the PC), i was really disappointed with Deadspace 2, it didn't have the same 'scare' factor for me and was way too arcadey.

Might have just been because its the first game I bought on my PS3 and i am new to the whole console genre but still.

They need to use the confined, claustrophobic tunnels and corridors that they had in the original. Its meant to be a scary, tense horror game: not a wild'em'ride'em'shoot'em'up blastfest like the second one was,

please NO!..

the current Dead Space engine works and looks brilliant. Why not just improve on that? Now i dont know what Engine its based on. But FrostBite doesnt look that good for the specs it needs.

Understandable that next year every gaming PC will meet the requirments by then.

Engine doesnt matter...but some destructive environments in ships would be nice!

ds2 was good, and if they will continue or improve uppon the isac clarkes story that would be quite interesting too.

please NO!..

the current Dead Space engine works and looks brilliant. Why not just improve on that? Now i dont know what Engine its based on. But FrostBite doesnt look that good for the specs it needs.

Understandable that next year every gaming PC will meet the requirments by then.

The lighting improvements alone would make it worth the change. The Visceral engine is quite old and it's limited in a lot of ways compared to Frostbite 2. I'm confident that Dead Space 3 will have better lighting, animations, and destruction (which is a much-needed feature).

• Like 1

please NO!..

Basically what Anaron said.

I know why you are saying that.

You need to upgrade that GPU

:p

I know I gotta do the same :s

Basically what Anaron said.

I know why you are saying that.

You need to upgrade that GPU

:p

I know I gotta do the same :s

Trust me. Im not saying it just because of that.

Let me explain it.

Have you played Max Payne 2? its a 3rd person shooter. I love the controls of the game. Thats all because of the engine mostly. GTA4 doesnt play like that.

Same with Games like. Assassins Creed. They play great!.. (not performance wise) i am talking about the way controls and movements work.

Then comes Dead Space 2. Its right there with Batman AC. The controls are spot on in DS2. I know this for a fact. If they make the move to FB2.0 the controls will change a bit. And thats one thing i really loved about the game..

If they can keep the controls and movements stuff intact. Then im all in for it!. But just take a look what FB2.0 did to NFS the RUN. i dont want it to do that to other games. All thanks to EA btw.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased DS2 from Origin costing a staggering ?4.99 which is just insane. The game itself is one of the most frightening games that I have ever played. I was scared Cough! Unfortunately due to profanity laws I cannot state what I was feeling but you understand. I only discovered this morning that DS3 was on the horizon with a probable release of Q2 or Q3 2012 depending on the pace of development. The fact that they?re using Frostbite 2.0 Engine is ever better news, does this mean we?ll be able to blow everything up because the physics in Frostbite 2.0 Engine are just insane.

I purchased DS2 from Origin costing a staggering ?4.99 which is just insane. The game itself is one of the most frightening games that I have ever played. I was scared Cough! Unfortunately due to profanity laws I cannot state what I was feeling but you understand. I only discovered this morning that DS3 was on the horizon with a probable release of Q2 or Q3 2012 depending on the pace of development. The fact that they?re using Frostbite 2.0 Engine is ever better news, does this mean we?ll be able to blow everything up because the physics in Frostbite 2.0 Engine are just insane.

It depends on how much destruction they allow. The destruction isn't the only thing to look forward to. The Frostbite 2 engine will allow for better lighting effects and animations.